Poll

What do you think of James Young as the 17th pick? What does he bring to the Celtics?

He has length and he can shoot, which is hard to teach. He's young so let's hope he can learn to play defense.
19 (41.3%)
He was the 17th pick, you can't expect too much. Just root for him and hope he pans out.
12 (26.1%)
He's going to be a very solid NBA player, he's young and the Celtics will be able to fix his leaks early because of his age
6 (13%)
He's probably going to be an 8th or 9th man in the NBA for his career who can hit the open three. ie Eddie House or James Jones on the Heat.
8 (17.4%)
Danny picked him to try and develop a James Posey/Michael Pietrus 3 point+defense guy. He just needs a few years to learn some defense.
1 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: What exactly does James Young bring to the Celtics?  (Read 15636 times)

Re: What exactly does James Young bring to the Celtics?
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2015, 10:31:57 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
if the celts give up after a first season where he was injury riddled and 18/19
his defence was as bad with red claws and his getting to the hoop-but he did SHOOT the ball well
his attitude in hindsight was like a little kid lost in grocery store
this off season he worked on his body and work ethic
so as a fan and being very much  in the bust camp,i have done a complete flip/flop-now he is still young and working at game
ainge drafted a project,now lets get behind the kid
smart crowder,avery and rozier will be pushing him
as the kids say he's got no shake,work on dribbling and lateral-and maybe one on one almost like rocky with apollo creed except taking turns with marcus ,crowder and turner
i quess that is what his durant workout is
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 11:27:42 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2015, 10:32:53 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
A D-League Finals appearance for the Red Claws that only a suffering Cs fanbase can truly appreciate.  ;D
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2015, 02:46:49 PM »

Offline hodgy03038

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 440
  • Marcus Smart #1 Fan
You didn't have the option of "Nothing" which is what I would have selected.

« Reply #63 on: September 01, 2015, 03:46:48 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
Shouldn't this thread title be 'What exactly does James Young bring to the Maine Red Claws'? On what planet do you see this guy playing for the Celtics this year? He got a chance this summer and looked just as awful as he did last season. I mean the guy cannot make shots in summer league. We are talking about a player whose main positive attribute is supposed to be shooting and he cannot shoot at all. No deep analysis required here, if a shooter can't shoot he is not playing in the NBA.

« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2015, 06:53:42 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Shouldn't this thread title be 'What exactly does James Young bring to the Maine Red Claws'? On what planet do you see this guy playing for the Celtics this year? He got a chance this summer and looked just as awful as he did last season. I mean the guy cannot make shots in summer league. We are talking about a player whose main positive attribute is supposed to be shooting and he cannot shoot at all. No deep analysis required here, if a shooter can't shoot he is not playing in the NBA.

Thread was made when we drafted Young.  I think the general consensus is that he's not ready but needs more opp.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2015, 06:57:30 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

Thread was made when we drafted Young.  I think the general consensus is that he's not ready but needs more opp.
agreed. but as is the norm, so many posters will accept nothing less than a rush to final judgement. young has been a case in point of this. bradley was as well. remember the threads trashing bradley during his rookie year?

patience is not the strength of cb in general. i am fine with waiting another season or two before passing any verdict on him. sometimes players do development.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2015, 08:12:39 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875

agreed. but as is the norm, so many posters will accept nothing less than a rush to final judgement. young has been a case in point of this. bradley was as well. remember the threads trashing bradley during his rookie year?

patience is not the strength of cb in general. i am fine with waiting another season or two before passing any verdict on him. sometimes players do development.

I had no issues with Bradley as a rookie.

He looked completely lost on the offensive end and lacked confidence, no question about that.  But it was also obvious from day one that he was relentless on the defensive end, was an outstanding athlete, and had that he had an absolutely limitless motor/work ethic.

This is in strong contrast to Young who so far looks completely lost on both ends of the floor, shows only average (maybe slightly above average, at best) athleticism, and seems to spend most his time on the court standing around staring into space.

Avery Bradley always looked like a guy who WANTED to be as good as he could be.  He never quits on possessions, goes after every loose ball, always keeps his body in outstanding shape, and he doesn't seem to know how to play at anything less than 100%.  I just don't see those attributes in Young, and that's what bothers me more-so than his actual skills/production.

I feel like anybody who has strong work ethic and a high motor will (more often than not) work themselves into a rotation NBA role - even if they seem to struggle early on.  But when you have guys who struggle early on and who also lack confidence, work ethic and motor...that's probably not a good sign. 

« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2015, 08:20:59 PM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I can see why ppl are upset with him, last year was indeed a disappointment.

But he just turned 20.

I suppose his 3p shooting form is still flawless  :P

And he is on a rookie contract- so virtually nothing to lose by giving him another chance. 

« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2015, 08:43:15 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
I can see why ppl are upset with him, last year was indeed a disappointment.

But he just turned 20.

I suppose his 3p shooting form is still flawless  :P

And he is on a rookie contract- so virtually nothing to lose by giving him another chance.

The problems here are:

a) I don't accept age as an excuse of failure, or as proof of potential.  To me the combinaiton of his personality traits thus (work ethic, motor, etc), level of progress (there has been none) and physical gifts (which are only average) speak more about his potential then his raw age does.

b) His 3 point shot has bee wildly inconsistent - if you take his shooting numbers from college, d league, NBA and summer league and then combine all of those numbers together..his overall percentage is actually less than spectacular

c) I feel there is something to lose, because we have 5 prospects (Hunter, Rozier, Mickey, Young, Jones) on this roster who are taking up roster spots that could be used for actually NBA players who could give actual production. Keeping young means one of those prospects (or one of our actual proven contributes) needs to be cut.  I believe Young is the least promising / useful of all our players, so keeping him (at the expense of somebody else) is a loss IMO.

« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2015, 09:06:59 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
"potential"
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2015, 09:44:40 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
"potential"

How much "potential" does he really have though?

When I analyse a player's potential, I usually look at things like:

1) Do they have a broad skill set, that merely needs improvement/development?  An example of this would be Noah Vonleh -  he is  a capable shotblocker, a capable rebounder, an inside/out score and an excellent ball handler for his position. The base is there, and those skills merely need to be further refined - hence I see that as 'potential'.

2) Do they have amazing physical gifts that give them an advantage?  An example of this would be Joel Embiid, who has a crazy combination of height, strenght, length, mobility and vertical that would give him a physical advantage most nights - all he needs is to develop the skill to go with it and he could be dominant.   

3) Do they have otherworldly intangibles such as amazing leadership ability, incredibly toughness, unrelenting desire to win, excellent court vision and/or basketball IQ well beyond their years?  Guys like this can often excel even with a lack of dominant physical gifts.

I think if you look at past history, the guys who have excelled in the NBA have pretty much all met at least one of those three criteria when they first came in to the league.  From what I've seen of young, he doesn't meet nay of them.

* His skill set is very narrow (he's a spot up shooter, and that's it)
* His physical tools are solid, but nowhere near elite
* His intangibles seem mediocre at best

Guys seem to look at Pierce as another guy who became a star despite being not that athletically gifted, and then hope that Young will follow the same path.  But Paul Pierce always had toughness. He always had supreme confidence and swagger.  He always had a versatile skill set - he could score in a variety of ways (post, jumpers, off the dribble, at the line) and was always a very good passer and rebounder with strong basketball IQ and footwork. 

Young has none of those traits, which is why it completely bewilders me why people are so convinced of his potential.

I just can't think of any players in the past who have been in the mold of James Young, and who have actually been good (let alone great) NBA players.  Sure he can probably develop into a solid rotation player one day, but if that is his ceiling then why on earth do we consider i'm so untouchable?  Unless the guy has future All-Star (or near All-Star) potential, then what's the big deal?

« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2015, 09:55:59 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I'm envisioning Jones and Young at the end of training camp, sitting in Danny's office arguing about who gets the last roster spot:

Young: "Danny check out this dunk against UConn!"

Jones: "Danny I scored 32 points in a game once!"

Danny: "OK guys, can either of you name ONE other impressive thing you've ever done on a basketball court?"

<crickets>
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 10:02:50 PM by Boris Badenov »

« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2015, 10:18:19 PM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
I'm envisioning Jones and Young at the end of training camp, sitting in Danny's office arguing about who gets the last roster spot:

Young: "Danny check out this dunk against UConn!"

Jones: "Danny I scored 32 points in a game once!"

Danny: "OK guys, can either of you name ONE other impressive thing you've ever done on a basketball court?"

<crickets>

The game after Jones scored 32 points, he scored 20 points.  The game after that he had 16. 

So he can 'technically' argue that he averaged 22.6 PPG over a three game stretch in actual NBA games.

I know it's clutching at straws, but I think it's enough to win that particular argument lol

« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2015, 10:20:20 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
The best thing he's good at is generating wishful postings about his potential on CB. 

« Reply #74 on: September 01, 2015, 10:37:40 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367

I had no issues with Bradley as a rookie.

He looked completely lost on the offensive end and lacked confidence, no question about that.  But it was also obvious from day one that he was relentless on the defensive end, was an outstanding athlete, and had that he had an absolutely limitless motor/work ethic.

This is in strong contrast to Young who so far looks completely lost on both ends of the floor, shows only average (maybe slightly above average, at best) athleticism, and seems to spend most his time on the court standing around staring into space.

Avery Bradley always looked like a guy who WANTED to be as good as he could be.  He never quits on possessions, goes after every loose ball, always keeps his body in outstanding shape, and he doesn't seem to know how to play at anything less than 100%.  I just don't see those attributes in Young, and that's what bothers me more-so than his actual skills/production.

I feel like anybody who has strong work ethic and a high motor will (more often than not) work themselves into a rotation NBA role - even if they seem to struggle early on.  But when you have guys who struggle early on and who also lack confidence, work ethic and motor...that's probably not a good sign.

You sound like my mom when she watches Law & Order: "I can see it in [his/her] eyes."

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/