Poll

What do you think of James Young as the 17th pick? What does he bring to the Celtics?

He has length and he can shoot, which is hard to teach. He's young so let's hope he can learn to play defense.
19 (41.3%)
He was the 17th pick, you can't expect too much. Just root for him and hope he pans out.
12 (26.1%)
He's going to be a very solid NBA player, he's young and the Celtics will be able to fix his leaks early because of his age
6 (13%)
He's probably going to be an 8th or 9th man in the NBA for his career who can hit the open three. ie Eddie House or James Jones on the Heat.
8 (17.4%)
Danny picked him to try and develop a James Posey/Michael Pietrus 3 point+defense guy. He just needs a few years to learn some defense.
1 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: What exactly does James Young bring to the Celtics?  (Read 15635 times)

Re: What exactly does James Young bring to the Celtics?
« Reply #45 on: September 21, 2014, 09:20:04 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
If he turns into Danny Green I'm happy, and that's very reachable with his shooting and athleticism. A little work and he can be a SG who's a definite 3 and D.

Anything more than a Danny Green is gravy.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #46 on: September 21, 2014, 09:36:28 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Young has the potential to be better than Thompson imo.  Thompson imo is too much of a nice guy on the court.  Yeah , i would be ecstatic if Young could be as good/consistent 3 pt shooter as thompson. But even if not, he still has other skills/tools that can have him leapfrog over thompson.

Yes I agree. Also his length is going to help him defensively when guarding 2's(which is the position I believe he will play mostly).
7' wingspan
8'8'' standing reach

Literally he has the same length as Zeller

See the part that's got me puzzled is Ainge saying he's a small forward.
Does he have the speed to keep up with SG's regardless of his length?
Does he have the strength to defend NBa SF's?
All I can think is with the right locker room/ team mates like Smart+Bradley who are committed to good D already, with a coach who can reach young players like Stevens, that they have reason to believe this is less of a long shot pick than I think.
I guess they figure his length, age and established shooting skills are good enough building blocks- which is understandable.
I'd still be very shocked if anyone took him at #14 though given how deep this draft was.
I'm just not seeing what Ainge is seeing unless I'm simply looking into young too deeply at his age.
I take everything Ainge says with a grain of salt. James says he wants to play sg but will play wherever he is told. I think we have a lot of moves to make and they are saying what they need to say to maximize assets.

« Reply #47 on: September 21, 2014, 09:51:47 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
James Young is all about potential. Yes his driving is limited, but hes pretty quick. Hes also a dangerous player on catch and shoot situations. I like the fact he is still only 19 years old. As people have stated, he scored 14.3 PPG on a team that had All-Americans, and was pretty much the go to guy at times in the March Madness.

I think if Young can ever reach his potential, it would be sort of like a Danny Green/James Harden type of player. Young definitely needs plenty of time, but his shooting stroke is very beautiful, and has great form. His potential to be a great defender, and his length is what can possibly set him apart.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #48 on: September 01, 2015, 05:39:32 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Interesting to re-hash this topic one year later. Has much changed?

I'm still searching and I'll give him another season but he's flirting with major disappointment. I guess he was the 17th pick at 18 or 19 years old so at least 2 seasons in the NBA and some meaningful minutes are needed.

Some positives:
*Brad has said he's please with his work ethic and desire to improve
*has put on some size/strength
*has worked on his handles

Negatives:
*has had barely any time and in that time has looked quite horrid- but as a young kid in the NBA I can see his confidence/nerves playing a huge part. It's just surprising because he didn't seem too nervous for Kentucky.
Let's hope he let's his hair down this season and drops the on court anxiety.
*Is making an effort on defense
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #49 on: September 01, 2015, 07:14:24 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Just hope

I hope

« Reply #50 on: September 01, 2015, 08:40:00 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Wow, just a quick scan over the last few posts and we had people comparing Young to Danny Green and Klay Thompson.  I haven't seen comparisons like that in a very long time.  Now a lot of us are wondering if he can stick in the league long term.

« Reply #51 on: September 01, 2015, 08:57:17 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Wow, just a quick scan over the last few posts and we had people comparing Young to Danny Green and Klay Thompson.  I haven't seen comparisons like that in a very long time.  Now a lot of us are wondering if he can stick in the league long term.
Well, I am one of those who hated the pick and did not like what I saw from the kid since, but still I would not give up yet.

Context matters. If Young was drafted by the Sixers, he would have played close to 30 min, most probably scored in the early teens and the whole discussion would be different. He was drafted for a team that valued winning AND development and as a then 19 years old failed to play well enough to warrant playing time.

I actually hope he watches a ton of Danny Green this summer. It is a more reasonable target. Young has previously state Tracy is his favorite player. He cannot be Tracy-lite. The offensive creativity, handles and in-between game are not there and there aren't even hints of such. He is a defensive awareness away from staying in the league for a long time. Go watch Danny Green, kid!
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2015, 09:02:27 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
Just hope

I hope

I think this sums it up.  He hasn't/doesn't bring anything yet but he is a promising player.  Promising by definition means maybe.  He is very young as we all know but I did expect a little more out of him last season and especially this summer.  This is a big season for him.  He needs to make the varsity team so to speak and show at least flashes that he can play at the NBA level.  I am not sure where to put his chances of doing that.

I can't put my finger on what is missing from his game.  He doesn't seem to have figured out how to integrate himself with the flow of the game at the NBA speed.  Some players just can't process fast enough or react fast enough.  It is one of those can't teach things  At this point with Young, I think it is too early to try and declare anything about his game with certainty but like I said, he needs to show that basic ability to play at the NBA speed this season, even if inconsistently to start.

« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2015, 09:40:01 AM »

Online feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
Anyone who watched the summer league would tell you that James Young was the worst defender on the team.  I have never seen anyone lose his man or get backdoored so frequently.  The idea that he could become a good defender because he has the physical attributes would require that he grow a new brain, one that includes focus.  As an offensive player he could possibly develop to a Gerald Green level but that will take some time and probably will never include consistency.  I am willing to give him more time but given what he showed in the summer league trading him for someone like Gobert would be a steal.  And mentioning Young and Danny Green in the same sentence is crazy.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt

« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2015, 09:42:26 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
That jump shot.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2015, 09:49:44 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
Well, I am one of those who hated the pick and did not like what I saw from the kid since, but still I would not give up yet.

Context matters. If Young was drafted by the Sixers, he would have played close to 30 min, most probably scored in the early teens and the whole discussion would be different. He was drafted for a team that valued winning AND development and as a then 19 years old failed to play well enough to warrant playing time.

I actually hope he watches a ton of Danny Green this summer. It is a more reasonable target. Young has previously state Tracy is his favorite player. He cannot be Tracy-lite. The offensive creativity, handles and in-between game are not there and there aren't even hints of such. He is a defensive awareness away from staying in the league for a long time. Go watch Danny Green, kid!

good point, if he was drafted to the sixers he'd probably be getting 25 mins a game.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #56 on: September 01, 2015, 09:52:40 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

« Reply #57 on: September 01, 2015, 09:57:30 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
Just hope

I hope

I think this sums it up.  He hasn't/doesn't bring anything yet but he is a promising player.  Promising by definition means maybe.  He is very young as we all know but I did expect a little more out of him last season and especially this summer.  This is a big season for him.  He needs to make the varsity team so to speak and show at least flashes that he can play at the NBA level.  I am not sure where to put his chances of doing that.

I can't put my finger on what is missing from his game.  He doesn't seem to have figured out how to integrate himself with the flow of the game at the NBA speed.  Some players just can't process fast enough or react fast enough.  It is one of those can't teach things At this point with Young, I think it is too early to try and declare anything about his game with certainty but like I said, he needs to show that basic ability to play at the NBA speed this season, even if inconsistently to start.

Yeah it's very strange. It's so weird to see someone who is so automatic with the three point shot (in certain situations) that constantly looks lost out there.
I'm 100% certain it's got to do with nerves and over thinking the situation- especially on defense.
And on offense, sure the defenders are better in the NBA but he's just missing wide open shots in the NBA too that he's hitting easily in the D League.

The more I think about it, I honestly think there is still plenty of time for him. We've seen he can be assertive when he wants to (College, D League) and with that assertiveness comes confidence. I just hope we can squeeze him into the guard rotation mix this year.

I want both Hunter and Young to get some decent minutes.
Can someone please break Evan Turner's leg?

« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2015, 10:07:07 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Endless material for forum blabbering, mostly.  ;D
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2015, 10:16:11 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Mystery box excitement, until he actually gets a shot at playing time and we see if he's an NBA player or not.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain