Author Topic: Taj Gibson is looking for a starting postion.  (Read 2130 times)

Taj Gibson is looking for a starting postion.
« on: September 20, 2014, 03:19:25 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
There are quiet murmurs about that Taj Gibson is not entirely thrilled to be coming off the bench. Popular, productive player. Given his stature in the organization you'd have to imagine that he could have often envisioned himself succeeding Boozer in the starting line up. He took less in hopes of one day joining the starting lineup and management instead deals for Pau Gasol.

Now consider exactly what the Celtics need but a defensive presence that can play off Sullinger and Olynyk. Taj Gibson may not be the classic 7 foot rim protector but he could provide lockown perimeter coverage, allowing Sullinger to stay closer to the basket. If I were Danny I'd throw Chicago aspects of the Kevin Love offer and see if the organization would do right by the player, while also freeing up time for Nicola Mitotic.

Would you consider it positive step to start Taj Gibson with Sullinger(or Olynyk)?

Re: Taj Gibson is looking for a starting postion.
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 03:24:03 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Taj Gibson is looking for a starting position - good for him.  Next ;D

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 07:38:56 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Maybe we can route him to some team that needs a 2&D Power Forward using our unguaranteeds. Maybe not.   
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 10:47:00 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
Gibson was reportedly told by the team to expect to start, so I could imagine him feeling betrayed.  I wouldn't think poorly of him if he was angry over broken promises and it showed in his on-court performance.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 11:40:05 AM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
I want Zeller starting until we find out exactly what we have with him. Is he just a career backup or is he a potential starter on a playoff quality team in the future? I understand that a 4-5 tandem of Zeller-Sullinger will probably struggle with interior defense and Zeller-Olynyk would be even worse but we need to sort out the players to keep long term and those to move.  We almost definitely will need a rim defender unless Zeller miraculously turns out to be one. I'm not holding my breath.

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 11:48:21 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Taj Gibson is not a center. He is a power forward and should not play full time at center position. His defense drops off considerably and he is not talented enough offensively to make up for that drop-off. Taj Gibson needs to play PF (if a starter).

Therefore - Not interested in (1) paying cost of trade to acquire him, and/or, (2) in having his large contract on the books. Celtics well equipped at PF position with Sully and Olynyk. Only worth bringing in a different PF if that player is a large upgrade (All-Star caliber player) on Sully / Olynyk.

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 01:39:00 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If a trade began with the idea of Taj Gibson and stuff for Sullinger, either Gerald Wallace or Marcus Thornton, and possibly some other stuff, what definition of "stuff" makes you willing to sit at the negotiation table?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 04:31:22 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
On further review of Gibson's stat line, that 1.4 blocks in 28 minutes per game is actually pretty decent. If it weren't for his age (29), he might make a good pairing with Zeller for interior defensive purposes. I just can't justify moving young guys like Sullinger (22) for a player that old while we are in a rebuilding mode. A guy like John Henson (23), if he is available, is more like what I would have in mind.

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 05:05:27 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Trading Olynyk or Sullinger for Gibson would be a disaster.

He's a good bench big but that's it.  And he is only getting worse from here.  I have seen before that many think he is a young player, but he is not.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford