Author Topic: I believe in Brad Stevens  (Read 2224 times)

I believe in Brad Stevens
« on: September 19, 2014, 11:17:04 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Like Batman did with Harvey Dent before being shot in the gut, I am ALL IN this year with Brad Stevens. I expect at least a 40-win season in a weak conference and the weakest division. Frankly, I dont understand the criticism of a 1year coach, but that's a different topic. This will be all about the positives things I learned watching Brad coach his butt off at Butler during his most experienced years.

• His teams always overachieved
    During his years at Butler, he had 2 current nba players total (hayward and mack). Yet they played well beyond their abilities in 'ship losses against 2010 Duke (4 active nba bigmen) and 2011 UCONN (3 active nba guards). The only reason i think that he was even able to get this far was how he spent those tournaments imposing his style of play against his opponents and putting his less-talented players in the best possible position to succeed on offense and defense.
  • March Madness is the closest simulation to the NBA season
    Everyone can give a list of how terrible college coaches have done in the league. And for the most part, I agree. It's not the same trying to manage grown men instead of teaching student athletes. But I dont think this applies to Brad. Brad's Butler teams have actually been pretty average (usually unranked by March) during their regular seasons in a bad conference. However, they always showed up during tourney time, where the pace of games is pretty much back2back against teams that they probably have never faced. Scouting for these opponents is pretty difficult, so again I think he focuses on placing his players in opportunistic situations
  • Those infamous statistics...
    There are plenty of stories about how Brad and his staff rely on strong statistical analysis to gameplan and develop their players. A lot of people will say that this micro-analysis won't work in the league. I am not one of those people. Any 10th grade math student will tell you that the most solid type of statistical analysis require a large sample size. How does 82 nba games compare to a 30-game college season. Essentially, Brad and Co. have almost 3 college seasons worth of data on every rookie player that returned from last year. You give him enough tape and data for the actual veterans, and you got basketball-nerd paradise for my fellow economics major. The analytical possibilities would make actuaries jealous.
  • His teams played defense
    All of his Butler squads played fundamental, good-rotation defense. Watching them during the tournament locking down teams of all types (VCU run-n-gun, MSU methodical half-court, Florida's shooting) was pretty impressive for a group of guys that could barely jump over a sheet of paper. Boring as their games may be, I saw a group of guys that never seemed to be in bad position and opponents struggling to get open shots. During his first year in the league, on an undersized, unehalthy and frankly TERRIBLE team, Boston was 13th in the league in points allowed. I'll take that going forward, no problem.

So there you go. That's my sales pitch. Let's go Brad!
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

Re: I believe in Brad Stevens
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 11:29:41 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
...are you sure you're not Celtics18?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 12:02:38 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I think he is a good coach and if C's commit to this season as a winning one 40-45 wins is possible. Yet I think they focus on developing guys and end up moving Rondo. 26-32 wins.

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 12:03:30 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
even if he is, so what? we are deep into the dog days of the off season. i welcome a positive thread.

i like brad stevens as the coach of the celtics. let's celebrate, rejoice, have a moment of happiness before the trolls move in and make it all tedious.

how many more days until camp?

p.s. tps for everyone....why not?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 12:08:32 AM »

fitzhickey

I really want to see him coach a contending roster. I'm just happy he has quite a long contract.

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 12:39:43 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
even if he is, so what? we are deep into the dog days of the off season. i welcome a positive thread.

i like brad stevens as the coach of the celtics. let's celebrate, rejoice, have a moment of happiness before the trolls move in and make it all tedious.

how many more days until camp?

p.s. tps for everyone....why not?

I miss Celtics18. The 40 wins on the season reminded me of him/her/internet entity.

TP's for everyone indeed. Viva Coach Brad.

first game of the preseason is in two weeks.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 06:35:30 AM »

Offline Global Celtic

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 84
President Brad Stevens is awesome. But he's not a magician that can turn this roster into a playoff spot.

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 07:24:04 AM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
TP to the OP...not because I agree, but because I want to agree.
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 07:55:29 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
I thought Stevens got a lot out of nothing last season. They were in almost every game. I think we got blown out of more games with the in seasons with KG/PP/Allen near the end.

It was always in the back of my mind if DA was holding onto the reins a bit to land a decent lotto spot keeping Stevens from really going after it. I like the style he wants, it was better with out Rondo than with, but I'm not going to judge Rondo to much on it because of the injury. But if the offense stalls this season looking for assist in the half court and not on the fast breaks, DA will need to find Rondo a new home.

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 08:41:23 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
When I think of Brad Stevens, two incidents comes to mind that I will never forget.  When Jeff Green made that money shot against Miami to win the game and when Brad was ejected from a game.  His cool calm nonchalant expression in both situations is something I don't think I've ever seen any coach in any sport.  To act like you've been there and done it before when you haven't is rarity you'd find in people.  You can tell he is genuinely a good guy.  I hope he's our coach for a very long time. 

...and oh yea, he still loves Rondo  ;D
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 11:23:50 AM by Clench123 »

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 09:44:21 AM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
Brad didn't show us too much last season, but that's okay none of us expected him to show us anything. It was a learning season and I agree I think he will become a good coach, who I have faith in more is Marcus Smart. I think hes going to be a big time player that I hope Stevens keeps around.

That's it, no doom and gloom from me today. Feelin pretty good about our coach/PG combo of the future.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 09:57:42 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I don't think we're going to be able to know what kind of pro coach Stevens is until we get a better roster. or maybe one that's not so unbalanced, and a lot less like a transition roster. what I mean by that is this roster seems like it's still in transition from the last regime to the one that will actually will ultimately be Brad Stevens' "team".

I'm trying to get excited for this season, stay positive and all that jazz but this roster just reminds me of the times before Pierce and Walker or even their early yrs.

I can't really rally behind anyone on this team because I get the sense that not one of these players will be on the roster when we return to prominence.