Author Topic: TWolves to offer Bledsoe max contract  (Read 3621 times)

Re: TWolves to offer Bledsoe max contract
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 05:50:09 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
The maximum salary for Bledsoe is $14.7m.  The maximum contract he can get in a sign and trade is four years with 4.5% raises, or $62.77m.

I haven't done the rigorous calculation, but I think they can take back 150% (plus 100K) of the salary they send out because they can stay under the luxury tax by doing so.  So, they need to send out $9.73m.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 06:04:55 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Depending on who they send in and out... would you have traded Kevin Love for Eric Bledsoe, Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett, and Young?

Flip's not doing as bad a job as some thought, I think.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 06:06:37 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Bledsoe's first-year of a max deal would be $14.746 million, same as Hayward got.  Because the Timberwolves would be under the luxury tax after the trade, they could take back 150% + $100k of what they send out in salary, and so would need to send $9,764,000.  It's a little difficult for them to get there.  Logically if they're taking on Bledsoe they're trading Rubio.  Rubio and Budinger are $9,660,479.  If it were those two for Bledsoe, Bledsoe's first year salary would be $14.59 million -- about $150k less than max.  I don't see the Wolves sending out Pek, and while Martin would allow Bledsoe to get that final $150k, I don't see the Suns taking on that extra year of his salary.  Budinger has the highest salary of the expirings (Barea and Brewer being the other options).

So yeah -- my predicition would be Rubio and Budinger for Bledsoe.  Maybe there would be draft picks going one way or the other, but perhaps just changing the protection on the pick currently owed to Phoenix by Minny.  This would let Bledsoe sign for 4 years, $62.3 million, which should be close enough to max ($630k less over 4 years) to get a deal done.

Edit: Loose Cannon beat me to the punch.

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 06:20:25 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Depending on who they send in and out... would you have traded Kevin Love for Eric Bledsoe, Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett, and Young?

I hear that. Still it's a lot of gambles. Even with Bledsoe as he has a injury history and he is going to receive max $. Flip can easily be setting the franchise back. Time will tell. Would feel bad for Wolves if they have to start again after KG, Love and Wiggins.

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 06:33:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I hear that. Still it's a lot of gambles. Even with Bledsoe as he has a injury history and he is going to receive max $. Flip can easily be setting the franchise back. Time will tell. Would feel bad for Wolves if they have to start again after KG, Love and Wiggins.

Kevin Love walking next season for nothing, which he was totally doing due to the owner being a moron, would have set the franchise back.  Flip has done remarkably well with the cards he was dealt.  Considering how mediocre-to-terrible the franchise has been since before KG left -- they finally have cause for actual optimism.

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 06:44:18 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Flip may have done great.

J.S. he may have done poorly as he could have received more proven players + picks. Also I remember when they had Love along with Al they thought it was winning time and a bright future.

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 07:06:03 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Not so fast.  Per Woj:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--suns-have-no-interest-in-eric-bledsoe-sign-and-trade-with-minnesota-214336996.html

Sources: Suns have no interest in Eric Bledsoe sign-and-trade with Minnesota

Edit:  actually was that in the original article?  Just going back and reading it now, it too says the Suns have no interest in a sign-and-trade.  Was the article updated later, or what's going on here?  I got the impression from reading this thread that it was practically a done deal.

Edit 2: I guess the "Editor's Note: This story has been updated as new information becomes available." in the original article answers my own question.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 07:14:47 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 07:07:20 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Was that really surprising?

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2014, 07:13:05 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Not so fast.  Per Woj:

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/sources--suns-have-no-interest-in-eric-bledsoe-sign-and-trade-with-minnesota-214336996.html

What a shock.  The Suns are not going to trade away Bledsoe for the same kind of scraps the could get from Boston.  It would take at least Pekovic and a #1 just to get a discussion started.

Mike

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 07:18:40 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Not so fast.  Per Woj:

They must really expect him to take their long-term offer if his only other option is the QO.  Pulling a Monroe would have them regretting this, unless Minny really was just offering K-Mart and scraps.

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2014, 08:07:05 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
Eric Bledsoe....WHY does everyone always talk about this guy ?....Always hurt, way over-rated if you ask me.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2014, 09:08:25 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Eric Bledsoe....WHY does everyone always talk about this guy ?....Always hurt, way over-rated if you ask me.

'Always hurt' made me think of AB.
http://bkref.com/tiny/Qfopx

That's an interesting comparison, but I kind of agree with the outrage -- insofar in that I think his next contract aught to be much closer to the Suns reported offer 4/48 than the Max.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.