Author Topic: Points-based League (CBPL) recruiting 2 Owners (EDIT: Now Filled)  (Read 4237 times)

Points-based League (CBPL) recruiting 2 Owners (EDIT: Now Filled)
« on: September 19, 2014, 04:21:47 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Hi All,

The CelticsBlog Points League (also known as Lucky17's Yahoo! Points Hoops League) is looking for two replacement GMs as we embark on Year 8. 

Basics: There are 20 teams.  All of the members are Celtic fans originating from CelticsBlog.  The league format is points-based and the teams are managed through Yahoo Fantasy Basketball.  Each team keeps their full roster from year-to-year.  This is the 8th year of the league and some GMs have been involved since 2007.

Why You Should Want to Join: I joined this league mid-season last year and I've absolutely loved it  This is a super active league (there are penalties for inactivity).  While this is purely a points-based league (the final ranking is based on who scores the most fantasy points as opposed to the more-common H2H format), and a couple teams have managed to dominate, everyone remains extremely involved and last year we started having Winter and Spring tournaments to add an extra layer of liveliness.  The history of the league is what convinced me to join.  I loved the idea of taking over a dump of a franchise in a long-standing league and attempting to dive into the long re-build.  I started with a team built around talent like Jameer Nelson, Tyson Chandler and Carlos Boozer... and immediately burned it to the ground, acquiring young unproven prospects like Nerlens Noel, Ben McLemore, Anthony Bennett and picks #2, #3 and #4 in the 2014 Draft.  Alternatively, I saw a team take a bunch of young prospects and quickly make themselves relevant by acquiring star-level veterans and solid fantasy contributors.    This league is a blast. 

League History:  Just a bit of league history.  It was started by Lucky17 back in 2007.  I have created a micro-site for league that you can visit here:  http://www.nedyken.com/cbpl ...   We've built out a "League History" section where you can see the previous records for every team year-by-year, owner history, tourney results, etc.  Basic overview can be found here:  http://nedyken.com/cbpl/league-history/  ... Note that mkogav's "Utah Flash" team has been utterly dominant for 7 years... having won 5 total CBPL Championships.  Not surprisingly, his team is built around juggernauts like LeBron James and Chris Paul.   The other league Powerhouse has been the Pittsburgh Pisces .  They finished dead last in 2007-08, but then-GM Roy Hobbs turned them around quickly... finishing 2nd the very next year.  Hobbs departed in 2009, but the team has remained exceptional under current ownership.  While it's understandably difficult to compete with those dominant teams in the short-term, it's been proven that improvement is absolutely possible.  For example, in 2012-13, Tedy Francis Tebows finished in 18th place with 16,940.40 points.  Last year, TFT saw a jump all the way up to 8th place with 24,038.45 points and looks to be even better this year.   We've also started doing tournaments in both Winter and Spring.  We split these tournaments into two tiers (top 10 teams and bottom 10 teams... think of it like NCAA/NIT).  Last year, Utah predictably won the Tier 1 Spring Tourney (the "Bird Bowl").   In the Tier 2 Spring Tourney (the "Ainge Bowl"), the 8th seed team (Gaze's Disciples) pulled off a wild upset:  http://nedyken.com/cbpl/2014-spring-tourneys/   

Teams Available:
There are currently two solid teams available. 

Vacant Team 1 - The long-standing commish of the league (Lucky17) has decided to step down to focus on other fantasy priorities.  The very capable byennie is taking over commish duties, but we need a replacement GM for Lucky17's team.  Check here for full rosters:  http://nedyken.com/cbpl/offseason-tracking/  ... Lucky17's team has some solid talent like Russell Westbrook, Aaron Afflalo and Al Horford.  Injuries derailed his season last year (falling to #11, but he had finished 3rd the year prior.  Whoever dare takes over for Lucky17 needs to be capable and dedicated.  Team History:  http://nedyken.com/cbpl/teams/lucky17/ 

Vacant Team 2 - For six years, Edgar ran the Edgar Croters to a mediocre record.  Having fallen into the bottom 5 four separate years, the team was taken over by barefacedmonk last season.  Barefacedmonk instantly made his impact felt.  He changed the team name to "Designated Drinkers" and through a whirlwind of trades acquired several impact players such as John Wall, Deron Williams, Eric Gordon, Nicola Vucevic, Tyson Chandler and more.  They are primed for a majorly improved season next year.  Having made his mark on the team, barefacedmonk has decided to pursue other fantasy opportunities and issued his resignation.  This team is potentially on the verge of a leap into the top tier of the league.  Check out the full roster for "Designated Drinkers" here:  http://nedyken.com/cbpl/offseason-tracking/  ... Team history is available here:  http://nedyken.com/cbpl/teams/designated-drinkers/

More League Information: Let us know if you are interested in taking over one of these vacant positions and which team you'd most like to run.  We have yet to have the 2014 Draft (this will likely take place in October) and want our new GMs to participate.  We ask that any prospective new owner be willing to be active and engaged throughout the season.  You'll get countless trade offers throughout the year and you're expected to respond to them.  You're also expected to set your lineups as necessary.  Also be mindful that this is year 8 of an awesome league with 20 members.  One bad GM can ruin the fun for everyone.  You're expected to understand the rules and have some logic behind the trades you attempt to make.  Here's some helpful links for more information:

League Constitution:  http://nedyken.com/cbpl/league-constitution/ - This is all the rules of the league and explains the scoring system.

CBPL 101 Tutorial - http://nedyken.com/cbpl/cbpl-101-tutorial/ - I wrote a basic tutorial on how this game is played and how it might differ from other fantasy leagues you may have joined before.

That should cover the key bases.  If you're interested in joining and are approved by the commish as a new GM, I can provide a lot more information and answer various questions. 
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 04:55:10 PM by LarBrd33 »

Re: Awesome points-based League (CBPL) recruiting two new GM's for Year 8!!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 03:13:26 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
This is a fun league. You should join!
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 04:05:47 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Bump.

Relaxed enough to be a points league on Yahoo!... intense enough to be almost a decade old with full keepers, drafts, trades and everything else. We just need a couple of replacement GMs to join a very fun league.

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 06:11:34 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I'll join.  jaywilding@gmail.com.   
Diggles

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 06:12:16 PM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
Bump.

Relaxed enough to be a points league on Yahoo!... intense enough to be almost a decade old with full keepers, drafts, trades and everything else. We just need a couple of replacement GMs to join a very fun league.

Can we request a franchise name change? 
Diggles

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 09:22:54 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Bump.

Can we request a franchise name change?
Definitely can change the franchise name.  Do you have a preference between the two available teams?

« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 11:23:22 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'll take a team if there is still room.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 01:21:02 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Nice man... My history books tell me you ran a team from 2007-09... The team now known as Gaze's Disciples.  It would be cool to have one of the original GMs return to take over a new team.

Do you have a preference between the two teams ?  It doesn't seem Diggles has made a choice.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 01:26:31 AM by LarBrd33 »

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2014, 01:40:50 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Diggles/IndeedProceed,

Whoever responds first can pick the team they want... both are pretty solid.  I took a couple screencaps (which shows average fantasy point value) to help you choose

Designated Drinkers:  http://i.imgur.com/JjB59Qh.png  ... Team history:  http://nedyken.com/cbpl/teams/designated-drinkers/

Lucky17's former team - http://i.imgur.com/ED8PL4f.png ... Team history: http://nedyken.com/cbpl/teams/lucky17/

In my opinion you'd both make fantastic GM's.  IndeedProceed clearly has experience (a former GM in this league) and I just remembered that I participated in an ESPN league with Diggles in 2012.  I'll send a message to byennie (current league commish) to make sure he saw this. 

Re: Points-based League (CBPL) recruiting 2 Teams (EDIT: Now likely filled)
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2014, 02:39:30 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Thanks guys. As soon as I know which team is which, I'll send out the invites. Indeedproceed, I'll just need your email address for Yahoo! purposes.

Re: Points-based League (CBPL) recruiting 2 Teams (EDIT: Now likely filled)
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2014, 04:19:39 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Thanks guys. As soon as I know which team is which, I'll send out the invites. Indeedproceed, I'll just need your email address for Yahoo! purposes.
IndeedProceed responded to my PM saying he's interested in taking over Lucky17's team.  I'll remind him to forward you his e-mail address.

Re: Points-based League (CBPL) recruiting 2 Owners (EDIT: Now likely filled)
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2014, 10:23:58 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Wow, IP is joining the PTS league? This is great news!!! Welcome to both owners, glad you are both aboard. This is a great league, lots of action and debates.

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2014, 01:16:11 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all

What... Guess we're just letting ANYONE in these days?

VETO?!!?!!!!!!
 ;D
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

Re: Points-based League (CBPL) recruiting 2 Owners (EDIT: Now likely filled)
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2014, 03:01:43 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
Wow, IP is joining the PTS league? This is great news!!! Welcome to both owners, glad you are both aboard. This is a great league, lots of action and debates.
I can vouch for Diggles as well.  Took me a while to remember, because he doesn't post a lot on the forum (though he's been a member since 2007)... but I eventually remembered that I participated in an ESPN Fantasy BBall League with him in 2012 and he was extremely active sending/responding to tons of trades.  Both of these guys should make great additions.   

Welcome guys!