Who will Improved more and also our future long term center

Kelly Olynyk 7' 0", 238 lbs
7 (25.9%)
Tyler Zeller 7' 0", 253 lbs
18 (66.7%)
Vitor Faverani 6' 11", 260 lbs
2 (7.4%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Author Topic: Don't Acquire A Center and hope these 3 improves? long term or trade soon?  (Read 5526 times)

Re: Don't Acquire A Center and hope these 3 improves? long term or trade soon?
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 12:55:59 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think to rely on these guys in the long run is a risky prospect.  None are ideal, each of them have parts of a good center and faults.   I still think the casual tank job is on.

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 01:08:36 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Zeller: Lets hope he improves some and then trade him a few months into the season, unless a team likes him now then I would pull that trigger.

FAV: Same as above

KO: Is not a center. And may or may not be better than Sully

Karl Towns Jr is gonna be our center.

Hey Future, I seen you mention Town a lot in the threads. I checked him out and he seems pretty promising. Im assuming to get him well have to tank pretty hard don't you think?

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 01:33:49 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
My Scouting Report (FWIW)

Olynyk has the "potential" to evolve himself into a better than average starting center.  From what I understand, he was a PG in high school but then sprouted up.  He needs to be able to play only a little bit more physically and I think he could defend centers and rebound sufficiently.  The physicality can come from better overall conditioning; I don't think he needs to bulk up necessarily; wiry strong is OK too.  If he can get to the point where def/reb is serviceable, he will be productive because he is a tough match up on the other end.  No, he is not a "rim protector" but I think the perceived value of that become overstated.  Just defend your man and contribute to team defense is sufficient.

Faverani looked good at times and not so good at times last year.  I am still not sure which version of him is the real Fav.  I see him more as a capable back up, which is OK.  A capable back up is better than a bad back up.

Zeller is a TBD for me; I have not seen him play enough to have formed an opinion.  In spite of not really having anything to base my opinion on, I find myself being optimistic that he can be a serviceable starting center in the couple of years time frame.

« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 02:05:36 PM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12
My Scouting Report (FWIW)

Faverani looked good at times and not so good at times last year.  I am still not sure which version of him is the real Fav.  I see him more as a capable back up, which is OK.  A capable back up is better than a bad back up.

With Faverani it's a matter of can he learn our defensive system, his defense was awful he clearly was not on the same page, his individual game is fine. Very solid player but if he can't run our defense than he's too much of a liability.  Honestly if we're going to tank let's atleast give him more reps.

I'm positive he will come into the season ready to prove himself.

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 03:30:53 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
With Faverani it's a matter of can he learn our defensive system, his defense was awful he clearly was not on the same page, his individual game is fine. Very solid player but if he can't run our defense than he's too much of a liability.  Honestly if we're going to tank let's atleast give him more reps.

Yeah that DUI this summer shows he is focused and committed.

« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2014, 04:10:52 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I certainly hope he was focused -- it can be really hard to drive a car when you're drunk.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 05:04:15 PM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White

I certainly hope he was focused -- it can be really hard to drive a car when you're drunk.

no question.

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 07:57:45 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Zeller: Lets hope he improves some and then trade him a few months into the season, unless a team likes him now then I would pull that trigger.

Hey Future, I seen you mention Town a lot in the threads. I checked him out and he seems pretty promising. Im assuming to get him well have to tank pretty hard don't you think?
I really think thats cool. I do mention Karl Towns a lot in  my threads and I hope we do end up with a top 3 pick this year to get him. Although, because Kentucky has so many GREAT college bigs this year(that is really not debatable) it may play into our favor and make it hard for teams to see him break out or even for him to take the starting job. Kentucky has a front court of: Willie Caully Stein, Marcus Lee, Dakari Johnson, Trey Lyles, Alex Poythress.......and then Karl Anthony Towns Jr.

So I do not know how that will all play out. But to be safe we should have a top 5 pick.

BTW tp for bringing this up. What about his game do you like? If you want to see him play recently they're some vids of him playing in the Bahamas Tourney.

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2014, 09:36:41 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

I really think thats cool. I do mention Karl Towns a lot in  my threads and I hope we do end up with a top 3 pick this year to get him. Although, because Kentucky has so many GREAT college bigs this year(that is really not debatable) it may play into our favor and make it hard for teams to see him break out or even for him to take the starting job. Kentucky has a front court of: Willie Caully Stein, Marcus Lee, Dakari Johnson, Trey Lyles, Alex Poythress.......and then Karl Anthony Towns Jr.

So I do not know how that will all play out. But to be safe we should have a top 5 pick.

BTW tp for bringing this up. What about his game do you like? If you want to see him play recently they're some vids of him playing in the Bahamas Tourney.

I like Towns as well, but I've always seen him as a point forward in the NBA like Nowitzki.
I think we'd need a rim protector next to him because he's not defensive minded.
God he reminds me of Dirk Nowitzki.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 09:42:24 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Don't acquire a defensive minded center if it means giving up any kind of asset that will have real value for the Cs after 2015.

Unless it's Gorgui Dieng. I'm not 100% against trading like..James Young for Dieng or maybe a loosely protected 1st for him.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2014, 10:30:29 PM »

fitzhickey

Olynyk is not a center and Faverani sucks.

I guess we'll find out about Zeller soon enough.

Faverani does not suck, he will never be great but he will be a good backup center comparable to Nick Collison.
Nick Collison was a great back up.

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2014, 09:18:09 AM »

Offline MISSERY

• Jaylen Brown
Don't acquire a defensive minded center if it means giving up any kind of asset that will have real value for the Cs after 2015.

Unless it's Gorgui Dieng. I'm not 100% against trading like..James Young for Dieng or maybe a loosely protected 1st for him.

yeah
i'd rather go trough the draft than trading young to a C....with a lot of bigs coming next draft,
i hope bass green or wallace gives us more 1st round picks

« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2014, 12:03:22 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

If that's the standard you're using then very few of the top players in the history of the league would fit your definition of focused and committed.

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2014, 12:20:13 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
KO could develop into a nice stretch five. He also seems to have good awareness so maybe he is a good center who is a pain to cover in two years.

Fav as some skills but but don't see them developing. 

Zeller could be a very good 15-20 min center and imo has the same tools as both Plumlees but more size. (Ironically I feel people over-rate the Plumlees they okay is all). Zeller can be a good/decent center I say.

None of the three are stars though if you want one of those at center good luck in the draft.