Author Topic: Do you think Marcus Smart will be moved to the 2?  (Read 9214 times)

Re: Do you think Marcus Smart will be moved to the 2?
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2014, 10:52:08 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I don't know that it's a total fallacy -- the Celtics were certainly looking to trade players, and trades failed to materialize, but it wasn't for lack of trying.

As far as picking nits goes, it would probably be more correct to say that GM's around the league weren't willing to pay the price that Danny had set for our assets, rather than say that no one wanted them.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2014, 11:04:09 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't know that it's a total fallacy -- the Celtics were certainly looking to trade players, and trades failed to materialize, but it wasn't for lack of trying.

As far as picking nits goes, it would probably be more correct to say that GM's around the league weren't willing to pay the price that Danny had set for our assets, rather than say that no one wanted them.

Or that those that were willing to pay it didn't have anything that Ainge valued or those that would've liked our package found an even better trade partner, etc., etc.

So yes, coming to the conclusion that there was no interest in our assets it's a complete fallacy simply based on the premise that no trade occurred.

And there's also a difference between willing to trade to wanting to trade certain assets. We wanted to trade, and were willing to trade all our assets if the right opportunity presented itself, doesn't mean we wanted to trade X assets just for the sake of trading for something of equal value if equal at all.

But as always, Ainge for the most seems to place premium value on his assets. And I'm fine with that.

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2014, 11:10:38 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
What do you mean by "Moved to the 2"

Watch summer league? He played plenty of 2.
exactly! he has no choice but to play the 2. in fact his mins. will primarily come from playing the 2.

sorry folks but weather you like Pressey or not. he's the back up PG. Smarts mins will be limited at PG and I would not be surprised if his only mins. there come due to Rondo and or Pressey getting injured.

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2014, 11:11:23 AM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30

Or that those that were willing to pay it didn't have anything that Ainge valued or those that would've liked our package found an even better trade partner, etc., etc.

So yes, coming to the conclusion that there was no interest in our assets it's a complete fallacy simply based on the premise that no trade occurred.

And there's also a difference between willing to trade to wanting to trade certain assets. We wanted to trade, and were willing to trade all our assets if the right opportunity presented itself, doesn't mean we wanted to trade X assets just for the sake of trading for something of equal value if equal at all.

But as always, Ainge for the most seems to place premium value on his assets. And I'm fine with that.

Since none of us are "insiders" couldn't I come right back and just say none of us know if anything was offered at all so your argument is also based on a fallacy?

This is a sports blog, while making discussions over thoughts and opinions works most of the time were almost through the entire off season and haven't had any major trades. Either no one was calling or they didn't like our assets enough to offer a fair deal.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2014, 11:14:37 AM »

Online BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818

Since none of us are "insiders" couldn't I come right back and just say none of us know if anything was offered at all so your argument is also based on a fallacy?

This is a sports blog, while making discussions over thoughts and opinions works most of the time were almost through the entire off season and haven't had any major trades. Either no one was calling or they didn't like our assets enough to offer a fair deal.

I'm not making any arguments or coming to any conclusions as to why trades did or didn't occur though right? I'm just enumerating possibilities other than "no one wanted our assets"  which you were so fond of throwing out there as the decisive conclusive reason.

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2014, 11:23:49 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Smart was a SG before his time at Oklahoma State. The Analytics folks compare him to players like Tyreke Evans and Harden. It seems more and more that Rondo is staying if for no other reason than there is no market for him, either traded or as a FA. So with that being said, is it possible that Smart who can easily guard SG's be moved back to that position? So many teams are moving that way: OKC, Phoenix, Toronto and others. Perhaps that was the plan all along?

The fact that Smart played mostly SG in high school isn't really all that relevant.

Most NBA players were bigger than their peers in high school and so played 'bigger' positions there than where they are suitable for in the NBA.

I.E. - there have been and continue to be a ton of former high-school centers who are playing PF & SF in the NBA.

What matters now is how his particular physical makeup and skills project in the NBA.

I see him as much more effective with the ball in his hands than off-the-ball and physically, he should eventually prove a nightmare for pretty much all NBA PGs to handle on either end of the court.   

Against NBA-caliber SGs, while he still has some physical advantages over some, not so much over many.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2014, 11:26:27 AM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Smart was a SG before his time at Oklahoma State. The Analytics folks compare him to players like Tyreke Evans and Harden. It seems more and more that Rondo is staying if for no other reason than there is no market for him, either traded or as a FA. So with that being said, is it possible that Smart who can easily guard SG's be moved back to that position? So many teams are moving that way: OKC, Phoenix, Toronto and others. Perhaps that was the plan all along?
No.
::) insightful

Yes: I do think that's the plan, short term at least. Smart will play off the ball with rr and on the ball with ab.
I don't think there is a long term plan beyond "let's see how this plays out and make the appropriate move down the road".
Ainge's motto: develop assets, maintain flexibility, strike when the iron is hot

Except the iron is no longer hot and no one wanted our assets so we're stuck with this team for another season. I wish he'd just go full player development, its a full season into the rebuild and next years free agent class has nothing for us.

Noone wanted their assets? How do you know that?

He read it on the internet.

No, no trades happened.

So that's how it works? All of the players in the nba that didn't get traded are still on their teams because nobody else wants them?

You mean to tell me that Danny did not want Anthony Davis?! Fire him!!!!  >:(

You all are taking his statement to the extreme. I think he meant, considering the Celtics were clearly looking for trade partners and seemingly willing to part with anyone, it seems our roster full of "assets" wasn't valued nearly as high around the NBA as it is on this board. For that reason we probably have to play this season out in order to increase value on a number of our players.

Better? Now can we not be nit-picky with the syntax of the post?

"Clearly"?  And how do you know that?

Because you read it on the internet?
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #37 on: September 19, 2014, 11:26:54 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Right, so when someone else comes up with possible reasons trades weren't made you're up on the fact that none of us are insiders, but when people question *your* reasons trades weren't made we get hysterical rantings like "Rondo averages 20-20-20 and has won 6 titles". Hilarious.

« Reply #38 on: September 19, 2014, 11:28:56 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
No.

Yes: I do think that's the plan, short term at least. Smart will play off the ball with rr and on the ball with ab.
I don't think there is a long term plan beyond "let's see how this plays out and make the appropriate move down the road".
Ainge's motto: develop assets, maintain flexibility, strike when the iron is hot

Except the iron is no longer hot and no one wanted our assets so we're stuck with this team for another season. I wish he'd just go full player development, its a full season into the rebuild and next years free agent class has nothing for us.

No, no trades happened.

So that's how it works? All of the players in the nba that didn't get traded are still on their teams because nobody else wants them?

You all are taking his statement to the extreme. I think he meant, considering the Celtics were clearly looking for trade partners and seemingly willing to part with anyone, it seems our roster full of "assets" wasn't valued nearly as high around the NBA as it is on this board. For that reason we probably have to play this season out in order to increase value on a number of our players.

Or it seems Danny doesn't rate other team's assets nearly as highly as many on this board do.

« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2014, 12:03:56 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Everything I ever learned in the Celtics Blog forums I read on the internet.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2014, 12:19:42 PM »

Offline vinnie

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 429
I believe that Smart will be part of the three headed Guard monster Ainge is envisioning. RR, AB, and Smaht can be a potent back court trio for years to come. Hopefully Danny sees the wisdom of playing this year out and see where we stand as a team. RR, AB, Smaht, Young, Sully, KO and Zeller may be a contender if not as early as this year IMHO.
this is what I can see happening -  a latter-day Isaiah-Dumars-Vinnie trio with Smart being our Dumars-type player that's essentially a combo guard able to play with either Rondo or AB

But wait, which of the three can shoot like the microwave?

Bradley

No

« Reply #41 on: September 19, 2014, 12:31:30 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
No. He has a better chance and edge physically vs pgs.

He has good pg skills. Better than some ppl think in this forum.
I could not agree more.

« Reply #42 on: September 19, 2014, 12:32:25 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
No.

No, no trades happened.

Or it seems Danny doesn't rate other team's assets nearly as highly as many on this board do.
touche

if someone took the opinions some here vehemently spout then they'd think that every C's player is crap and every player on every other team or player coming out in the draft is better than Lebron (or would be once they put on a C's uniform).

« Reply #43 on: September 19, 2014, 12:36:43 PM »

Offline Kevin OConnor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 24
  • @KevinOConnorNBA
No.
Thanks, here are a bunch of words for you:
http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/9/19/6341427/setting-expectations-for-boston-celtics-rookie-guard-marcus-smart-point-nba-scouting-oklahoma-state
www.twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA

I like sports and music.

« Reply #44 on: September 19, 2014, 02:39:08 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
No.

No, no trades happened.

touche

if someone took the opinions some here vehemently spout then they'd think that every C's player is crap and every player on every other team or player coming out in the draft is better than Lebron (or would be once they put on a C's uniform).
Rondo for McLemore :P