Author Topic: Do you think Marcus Smart will be moved to the 2?  (Read 9220 times)

Re: Do you think Marcus Smart will be moved to the 2?
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 09:40:19 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
What do you mean by "Moved to the 2"

Watch summer league? He played plenty of 2.

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2014, 10:43:18 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
At times he will play 1 and other times 2, depending on if AB or Rondo are hurt, resting or in foul trouble.

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2014, 10:59:33 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
I believe that Smart will be part of the three headed Guard monster Ainge is envisioning. RR, AB, and Smaht can be a potent back court trio for years to come. Hopefully Danny sees the wisdom of playing this year out and see where we stand as a team. RR, AB, Smaht, Young, Sully, KO and Zeller may be a contender if not as early as this year IMHO.
this is what I can see happening -  a latter-day Isaiah-Dumars-Vinnie trio with Smart being our Dumars-type player that's essentially a combo guard able to play with either Rondo or AB

But wait, which of the three can shoot like the microwave?

Bradley
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2014, 11:19:35 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I believe that Smart will be part of the three headed Guard monster Ainge is envisioning. RR, AB, and Smaht can be a potent back court trio for years to come. Hopefully Danny sees the wisdom of playing this year out and see where we stand as a team. RR, AB, Smaht, Young, Sully, KO and Zeller may be a contender if not as early as this year IMHO.
this is what I can see happening -  a latter-day Isaiah-Dumars-Vinnie trio with Smart being our Dumars-type player that's essentially a combo guard able to play with either Rondo or AB

Bradley

Huh......

and

Huh....

« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2014, 11:40:56 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Bradley

Bradley has 3 point range, and accuracy, so he's already a better shooter than Vinnie, if for nothing else than the range factor.  He's not the passer that VJ was, however.  Vinnie Johnson.  Man, what a player he was. 

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2014, 11:57:25 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
No. He has a better chance and edge physically vs pgs.

He has good pg skills. Better than some ppl think in this forum.

« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2014, 12:00:02 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I think he will play both positions and will be SG heavy as long as Rondo is with the team.

2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2014, 12:25:35 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Smart was a SG before his time at Oklahoma State. The Analytics folks compare him to players like Tyreke Evans and Harden. It seems more and more that Rondo is staying if for no other reason than there is no market for him, either traded or as a FA. So with that being said, is it possible that Smart who can easily guard SG's be moved back to that position? So many teams are moving that way: OKC, Phoenix, Toronto and others. Perhaps that was the plan all along?
No.
::) insightful

Yes: I do think that's the plan, short term at least. Smart will play off the ball with rr and on the ball with ab.
I don't think there is a long term plan beyond "let's see how this plays out and make the appropriate move down the road".
Ainge's motto: develop assets, maintain flexibility, strike when the iron is hot

Except the iron is no longer hot and no one wanted our assets so we're stuck with this team for another season. I wish he'd just go full player development, its a full season into the rebuild and next years free agent class has nothing for us.

Noone wanted their assets? How do you know that?

He read it on the internet.

No, no trades happened.

So that's how it works? All of the players in the nba that didn't get traded are still on their teams because nobody else wants them?

You mean to tell me that Danny did not want Anthony Davis?! Fire him!!!!  >:(

« Reply #23 on: September 19, 2014, 07:44:14 AM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349
Smart was a SG before his time at Oklahoma State. The Analytics folks compare him to players like Tyreke Evans and Harden. It seems more and more that Rondo is staying if for no other reason than there is no market for him, either traded or as a FA. So with that being said, is it possible that Smart who can easily guard SG's be moved back to that position? So many teams are moving that way: OKC, Phoenix, Toronto and others. Perhaps that was the plan all along?
No.

Yes: I do think that's the plan, short term at least. Smart will play off the ball with rr and on the ball with ab.
I don't think there is a long term plan beyond "let's see how this plays out and make the appropriate move down the road".
Ainge's motto: develop assets, maintain flexibility, strike when the iron is hot

Except the iron is no longer hot and no one wanted our assets so we're stuck with this team for another season. I wish he'd just go full player development, its a full season into the rebuild and next years free agent class has nothing for us.

No, no trades happened.

So that's how it works? All of the players in the nba that didn't get traded are still on their teams because nobody else wants them?

You all are taking his statement to the extreme. I think he meant, considering the Celtics were clearly looking for trade partners and seemingly willing to part with anyone, it seems our roster full of "assets" wasn't valued nearly as high around the NBA as it is on this board. For that reason we probably have to play this season out in order to increase value on a number of our players.

Better? Now can we not be nit-picky with the syntax of the post?

« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2014, 08:03:26 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
No.

No, no trades happened.

You all are taking his statement to the extreme. I think he meant, considering the Celtics were clearly looking for trade partners and seemingly willing to part with anyone, it seems our roster full of "assets" wasn't valued nearly as high around the NBA as it is on this board. For that reason we probably have to play this season out in order to increase value on a number of our players.

When were we willing to part KO, Sully or Smart for anyone? Im pretty sure we just weren't interested with what teams were willing to let go for them. Statistically speaking , our assets are on a uprise with great POSSSIBLE potential. That being said, NO WAY Danny trades ANY of them if he doesn't think they have more potentials than our assets.  if we "Part with anyone"  pointless to trade our building blocks. We would just be trading for the coolness of trading

I think what you meant to say is ... noone wants Bogans, Wallace and Green's bad contracts which is completely understandable. Why would they??

Also, trading KO or Sully will be SOLELY for a quick rebuild. Chances are if they value draws interest we would want top talent  in return and end up keeping them

« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2014, 08:09:53 AM »

Offline Jailan34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
No.

No, no trades happened.

Thats pretty standard bballtim bro, when he doesn't have a counter point he just takes the thread to rimland where he can rationalize not being able to disagree. Also in Tim land Rondo averages 20-20-20 and has won 6 titles so he really just can't see why so many Celtic fans would ever he willing to trade him.
You can't reason someone out of a position they didn't reason themselves into.

« Reply #26 on: September 19, 2014, 08:21:43 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
Absolutely not. Looking back in 5 years everyone will scratch their heads as to why Ainge didn't take a sure thing like Julius Randle or didn't tank harder for an elite talent like Exum Wiggins or Parker. What good are these picks if the person selecting them is committed to drafting the best players on the board? You mean to tell me that your plan to rebuild starts with Marcus Banks 2.0? Awful. Hopefully he doesn't make it through the season and ownership replaces him with someone committed to rebuilding the right way like the Sixers are. That front court is going to dominate for years and Saric has an excellent shot to be a pretty productive player in this league. By next year they'll have 3 star players with Saric being a potential one too. What does Marcus Banks 2.0 have going for him? Good defense? Like Rondo he cannot shoot the rock. Another role player on a team that has no star talent. Awesome. Wake me when we draft a Brandon Hunter clone 1st overall next year.

« Reply #27 on: September 19, 2014, 08:29:09 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
Forget playing the "2".. I just hope he grows "2" inches  in the next "2" years. Positions are never permenent. EX:(Green & Melo) Who knows me might  fuŠk around and package him out out for someone before the season is over

« Reply #28 on: September 19, 2014, 09:25:08 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I honestly don't see any of them shooting as well as that original 3 but I do see them in that light from a defensive side of the ball. 

I'm not saying they'll be just like them but making a comparison of a highly-skilled and dynamic 3-guard rotation where any 2 of them on the floor provides a really solid combination and 1 of them has the ability to shift between PG and SG depending on who's on the floor with them at the time.

The strength of the Detroit 3 was they were lethal scorers with Dumars being a tough defender, Isaiah being a respectable defender (but allowed to get away with a lot of bullying, wrist slapping/hacking and especially whining) and Vinnie making an effort.  Detroit was so obnoxious on defense it changed the game where refs would just swallow their whistles because there was a foul on almost every play.  ugliest error of basketball I can remember.

Boston could essentially have the flip side of that trio where we have 3 top-flight defenders who are at least decent offensively if not better than that.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 10:45:35 AM by slamtheking »

« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2014, 10:16:46 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
No.

No, no trades happened.

Thats pretty standard bballtim bro, when he doesn't have a counter point he just takes the thread to rimland where he can rationalize not being able to disagree. Also in Tim land Rondo averages 20-20-20 and has won 6 titles so he really just can't see why so many Celtic fans would ever he willing to trade him.

Not his fault that you drew your conclusions from a complete premise fallacy.