Author Topic: TV Shows that started great and then went downhill  (Read 66747 times)

Re: TV Shows that started great and then went downhill
« Reply #255 on: September 22, 2014, 09:22:39 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
No talk about The Beachcombers? Little Mosque on the Prairies? Northwood? The Red Green Show? Supermarket Sweep?

Don't you dare talk about supermarket sweep like that!

Somebody else knows Supermarket Sweep aka the lamest game show ever?

« Reply #256 on: September 22, 2014, 09:56:14 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
No talk about The Beachcombers? Little Mosque on the Prairies? Northwood? The Red Green Show? Supermarket Sweep?

Don't you dare talk about supermarket sweep like that!

Somebody else knows Supermarket Sweep aka the lamest game show ever?

From the ages of 8 - 16, when it suffered its unfortunate demise, nothing would have made me happier than to be a contestant on Supermarket sweep.

Heck, I'm still waiting for the call and I would gladly accept.

« Reply #257 on: September 22, 2014, 05:36:39 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
They had it in the States? I was so sure it was Canadian.

Now you want quality Canadian TV, you have to mention the original Degrassi series.

« Reply #258 on: September 22, 2014, 05:59:54 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I watched like 3 episodes of 'The Listener'...wow that was terrible.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #259 on: September 22, 2014, 06:19:57 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I know someone mentioned the revolution a while back, but that show lost me roughly 5 minutes into the pilot when the power went out....and everyone's car abruptly stopped working.  Yeah, I'm out ;D

« Reply #260 on: September 22, 2014, 08:37:18 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
one other show came to mind - In Living Color.  as the roster changed, the funnier people were on less and the ones that didn't seem to have really good, funny characters were getting more time.  example -- Jamie Foxx.  like him as an actor, didn't care for his characters on that show. 

« Reply #261 on: September 22, 2014, 10:27:49 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
one other show came to mind - In Living Color.  as the roster changed, the funnier people were on less and the ones that didn't seem to have really good, funny characters were getting more time.  example -- Jamie Foxx.  like him as an actor, didn't care for his characters on that show.

Jim Carrey was the King of that show
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #262 on: September 22, 2014, 11:30:44 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The Big Bang Theory after seasons the first two seasons.  Initially, it was great, but like all geek-nerd (and for most of my life I've been put in one of those two groups.  Well, kind of.) shows, it just runs out of material, because there's only so many jokes that can be made, quite honestly.  I haven't watched it in a while because it's not funny anymore, and it's become more of a relationship based show, which was never its premise.  The character development is pathetic, as well.  Take Sheldon, for example.  In the first couple of seasons, his quirks and strange idiosyncrasies were hilarious, but now they're just forced and not funny, especially with his laugh.  It's like they're trying to hard, and, getting back to Sheldon again, everything he does seems terribly contrived.  It worked for the first few seasons, but it's just terrible now, imo.

For the most part I agree with this, although I've continued to be a somewhat regular viewer.  I did think Season 3 was largely good (you may have not liked the relationships, but they set up the Leonard-Penny story in the pilot, so they were being good with that).  Seasons 4-6 were generally disappointing, 4 and 6 being worse than 5.  The second half of last season, however, actually had some real, not contrived character development for the first time in years.  It will be interesting to see if they keep that going this season or not, but there's a chance that this is a show that finds its way again after stumbling about looking for odd gags and shark-jumping story lines for multiple seasons.

I do think you're right that the de-emphasis on science/math jokes has been disappointing, however, as the show's popularity has grown and more mainstream humor has taken its place.

No, I understood that, it's just that that was never the premise of the show, or maybe I just wrongly interpreted it from the beginning.  I don't know, I just find it boring now, and they just got another three seasons  :o - for what?  How much more can they possibly stretch out of what's left of the original program, haha?

I take it back.  After the two new episodes tonight, I'm done.  They set up a very poignant scene at the end of last season and resolved it by someone running around with no pants.  They also literally recycled a joke from Season 3, and not in a "How I Met Your Mother" way of referencing it.  Just as if it were a brand new joke they'd never thought of before.  They have nothing left.

« Reply #263 on: September 22, 2014, 11:49:00 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I take it back.  After the two new episodes tonight, I'm done.  They set up a very poignant scene at the end of last season and resolved it by someone running around with no pants.  They also literally recycled a joke from Season 3, and not in a "How I Met Your Mother" way of referencing it.  Just as if it were a brand new joke they'd never thought of before.  They have nothing left.

A farmer was walking through his field one cold winter morning when he discovered a snake freezing to death in the snow.  Taking pity, he brought it home and carefully nursed it back to health. 

One morning, the farmer woke to see the snake fully recovered, and rejoiced.  But suddenly, the snake lashed out, biting the farmer on his cheek. 

As the farmer collapsed, dying from the poison, he cried out, "Why would you do this to me, after I went out of my way to help you, when I saved you with my attention?"  And the snake replied, "You knew what I was when you picked me up."

« Reply #264 on: September 22, 2014, 11:58:24 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

A farmer was walking through his field one cold winter morning when he discovered a snake freezing to death in the snow.  Taking pity, he brought it home and carefully nursed it back to health. 

One morning, the farmer woke to see the snake fully recovered, and rejoiced.  But suddenly, the snake lashed out, biting the farmer on his cheek. 

As the farmer collapsed, dying from the poison, he cried out, "Why would you do this to me, after I went out of my way to help you, when I saved you with my attention?"  And the snake replied, "You knew what I was when you picked me up."

Hahaha....ahahaha. Diahrrea pizza! But hey, you ate it, right?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #265 on: September 23, 2014, 12:27:00 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
The Big Bang Theory after seasons the first two seasons.  Initially, it was great, but like all geek-nerd (and for most of my life I've been put in one of those two groups.  Well, kind of.) shows, it just runs out of material, because there's only so many jokes that can be made, quite honestly.  I haven't watched it in a while because it's not funny anymore, and it's become more of a relationship based show, which was never its premise.  The character development is pathetic, as well.  Take Sheldon, for example.  In the first couple of seasons, his quirks and strange idiosyncrasies were hilarious, but now they're just forced and not funny, especially with his laugh.  It's like they're trying to hard, and, getting back to Sheldon again, everything he does seems terribly contrived.  It worked for the first few seasons, but it's just terrible now, imo.

For the most part I agree with this, although I've continued to be a somewhat regular viewer.  I did think Season 3 was largely good (you may have not liked the relationships, but they set up the Leonard-Penny story in the pilot, so they were being good with that).  Seasons 4-6 were generally disappointing, 4 and 6 being worse than 5.  The second half of last season, however, actually had some real, not contrived character development for the first time in years.  It will be interesting to see if they keep that going this season or not, but there's a chance that this is a show that finds its way again after stumbling about looking for odd gags and shark-jumping story lines for multiple seasons.

I do think you're right that the de-emphasis on science/math jokes has been disappointing, however, as the show's popularity has grown and more mainstream humor has taken its place.

No, I understood that, it's just that that was never the premise of the show, or maybe I just wrongly interpreted it from the beginning.  I don't know, I just find it boring now, and they just got another three seasons  :o - for what?  How much more can they possibly stretch out of what's left of the original program, haha?

I told you ;D  Meh, I didn't bother watching it, which, from your description of the two episodes, seems to have been the right course of action.  I'm telling you, they're running on fumes.  Another 3 years of this crap? :o  Man, oh man.

« Reply #266 on: September 23, 2014, 12:30:56 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I think I already know the answer to this one, but did anyone watch Ghost Whisperer?  By choice, haha?  What about touched by an Angel, or Walker, Texas Ranger?  I'm just trying to think of other popular shows (that I didn't watch, haha), but, like the big bang theory, I'm grasping at straws, here ;D

« Reply #267 on: September 23, 2014, 08:17:12 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Jim Carrey was the King of that show
TBH, I thought he was just ok.  Firemarshall Bill was decent but for me Damon Wayans was head and shoulders above everyone else.  David Alan Grier was really funny too.

Homey the Clown and 2 Men on Film killed me every time. 

« Reply #268 on: September 23, 2014, 08:22:31 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I told you ;D  Meh, I didn't bother watching it, which, from your description of the two episodes, seems to have been the right course of action.  I'm telling you, they're running on fumes.  Another 3 years of this crap? :o  Man, oh man.
must be me but I thought the first show had a few laugh out moments.  didn't have those at all last season.  have the second episode from last night on DVR so please no spoilers. 

will agree that I wasn't too keen on how they ended last season and couldn't see a way for them to get the storyline back on track this season and I wasn't satisfied with how they brought Sheldon back into the fold.  seemed rather pointless to go down that path in the first place.

have to say this: HATE HER HAIRCUT!!!   god that's an awful look.  she used to think she was too hot for Leonard to dump-->not the case anymore.

« Reply #269 on: September 23, 2014, 08:27:29 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Surprised no one mentioned Jackass yet.