Author Topic: TV Shows that started great and then went downhill  (Read 66746 times)

Re: TV Shows that started great and then went downhill
« Reply #240 on: September 21, 2014, 06:05:27 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Maybe it's because I grew up watching it, but I never thought that Star Trek Voyager got even the slightest bit boring.  Even when they added new characters, the show was great, imo.  I'm just saying this because of a post on here that cited, as an example, every Star Trek series.  Are we now out of shows?  I can't think of any more right now.  Btw, there was a segment of modern marvels on yesterday about, "rocks."  WOW :o

« Reply #241 on: September 21, 2014, 06:12:12 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Wait, does gossip girl count?  Luckily, I was able to avoid that one.  Phew.

« Reply #242 on: September 21, 2014, 07:49:52 PM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
Happy Days

« Reply #243 on: September 21, 2014, 08:02:46 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Maybe it's because I grew up watching it, but I never thought that Star Trek Voyager got even the slightest bit boring.  Even when they added new characters, the show was great, imo.  I'm just saying this because of a post on here that cited, as an example, every Star Trek series.  Are we now out of shows?  I can't think of any more right now.  Btw, there was a segment of modern marvels on yesterday about, "rocks."  WOW :o

Voyager wasn't bad. It seemed like a war/survival themed series at first and changed to more next Gen type episodes. I really thought it would be a change in the franchise. There were more battles but it disappointed me.

« Reply #244 on: September 21, 2014, 08:21:51 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Sliders was a good mention. First two seasons and a bit were good. However it went from imagine if to what the heck.

« Reply #245 on: September 21, 2014, 08:45:59 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

Voyager wasn't bad. It seemed like a war/survival themed series at first and changed to more next Gen type episodes. I really thought it would be a change in the franchise. There were more battles but it disappointed me.

I'm not really a Trekkie (I had to look up the spelling of that term, so that right there should tell you all you need to you lol), but imo, Voyager seems to be the last great anything to do with that franchise.  I've found everything that's followed to be meh.

« Reply #246 on: September 21, 2014, 08:47:25 PM »

Offline European NBA fan

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 141
Normally I'm not that into drama series, but while Anthony Edwards was in E.R., I think it was a pretty good show. After he left, I just lost interest. Perhaps because the original characters were fleshed out like normal people, while later added characters almost always had something that added more drama, which turned it into more of a soap.

« Reply #247 on: September 21, 2014, 09:32:43 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Normally I'm not that into drama series, but while Anthony Edwards was in E.R., I think it was a pretty good show. After he left, I just lost interest. Perhaps because the original characters were fleshed out like normal people, while later added characters almost always had something that added more drama, which turned it into more of a soap.
good pick up ER.  thought it started losing something when the original cast was leaving but couldn't put my finger on what the issue was with the new cast.  I think the one positive exception was Rocket Romano - so good at being a jerk.

« Reply #248 on: September 21, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
What about House?

« Reply #249 on: September 21, 2014, 09:51:11 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Glee was actually an edgy comedy in the first season. I mean, framing the QB for possessing pot in order to force him to join the glee club? The show quickly turned to garbage as they started focusing on singing instead of comedy and iTunes sales instead of good writing.

« Reply #250 on: September 21, 2014, 10:35:27 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Glee was actually an edgy comedy in the first season. I mean, framing the QB for possessing pot in order to force him to join the glee club? The show quickly turned to garbage as they started focusing on singing instead of comedy and iTunes sales instead of good writing.

Edgiest joke I've seen on non cable tv in the past decade came from the first season of Glee.

The guidance counselor discovers Rachel Berry trying to throw up in a stall in the girls restroom. The exchange happens while the camera is facing up from the toilet bowl towards the womens faces.

GC:  What are you doing?

RB: trying to become bulimic but I lack the gag reflex.

GC: Well... That'll come in handy later.

That joke hooked me for three seasons. I want the last two back.

« Reply #251 on: September 21, 2014, 11:02:27 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Wait, does gossip girl count?  Luckily, I was able to avoid that one.  Phew.
Gossip Girls scared the hell out of me. All I learned from it was that every single thing I do or say can be on the internet with people commenting on it in less than a minute.

« Reply #252 on: September 22, 2014, 02:25:38 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99

Edgiest joke I've seen on non cable tv in the past decade came from the first season of Glee.

The guidance counselor discovers Rachel Berry trying to throw up in a stall in the girls restroom. The exchange happens while the camera is facing up from the toilet bowl towards the womens faces.

GC:  What are you doing?

RB: trying to become bulimic but I lack the gag reflex.

GC: Well... That'll come in handy later.

That joke hooked me for three seasons. I want the last two back.

The Lesbian scene between the two cheerleader actresses was also quite shocking; Considering that the show was initially targeted for teen audiences;
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #253 on: September 22, 2014, 02:27:39 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
What about House?

I agree that the last couple of seasons weren`t as good but i don`t think it went downhill

« Reply #254 on: September 22, 2014, 08:10:22 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
No talk about The Beachcombers? Little Mosque on the Prairies? Northwood? The Red Green Show? Supermarket Sweep?

Don't you dare talk about supermarket sweep like that!