Author Topic: TV Shows that started great and then went downhill  (Read 66990 times)

Re: TV Shows that started great and then went downhill
« Reply #225 on: September 20, 2014, 10:12:20 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If I had to rank those 4 pizza chains.

1) Papa Ginos
2) Pizza Hut
3) Papa Johns
4) Dominoes

In terms of how their pizza tastes, I think I'd agree with that order.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #226 on: September 20, 2014, 10:17:12 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
I've got a random one for you all. Jericho.

Very cool concept, middle America town may or may not be cut off from the rest of the world by a possible Nuclear Apocalypse. Unfortunately shows need more than a great premise and I found myself petered out midway through season 2. The show just reeked of C- execution and  I couldn't get past it.

« Reply #227 on: September 20, 2014, 10:19:23 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
The Cosby Show never got bad, but the earlier seasons are better than the latest ones.

Really, though, this is just my excuse to comment on how great the Cosby Show was.  Even the lesser episodes are better than any sitcom on TV right now.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #228 on: September 20, 2014, 10:23:41 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156

Very cool concept, middle America town may or may not be cut off from the rest of the world by a possible Nuclear Apocalypse. Unfortunately shows need more than a great premise and I found myself petered out midway through season 2. The show just reeked of C- execution and  I couldn't get past it.

Yeah I rooted for this show but it just never turned the corner.

« Reply #229 on: September 20, 2014, 10:30:28 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
All I know is wife was watching Gilmore Girls. I said "What the heck is this?" She said "That's the mother and that's the daughter" and I was like "That's the mother and that's the daughter? Tell me more." and I was hooked ever after.

ThethingIwasneversureabkutgilmoregirlsisthattheytalksofast .

Well, there's that, but there's so much more to the show (sarcasm)!  Come on guys, think! ::)  Luke and Lorelai - will they or won't they?  Suki (Melissa McCarthy).  Jackson.  Emily and Richard.  Yale.  Dean.  Jess.  Dean vs. Jess and the issue of bad boys (who are totes hotttt!!!).  Rory's first kiss.  Rory's first boyfriend.  Rory's first time.  Rory gets her license.  Will Rory get into Yale?  Rory sleeping with Dean when he's married (that dirty, dirty girl lol).  Christopher, Max, and the countless other guys Lorelai dated, all the while knowing that Luke was the one for her!  Michelle.  Paris.  Lane.  School work.  Boys, boys, boys!  The band.  Lane's parents and the antique store.  The coffee shop.  That prick who thought he was in charge of everything (I can see his face but I can't remember his name right now).  Kirk.  The hotel - will Lorelai, Suki, and Michelle ever be able to open a place of their own by restoring the dilapidated one in town?  Mandatory Friday night dinners.  The awkward situation of Emily and Richard paying for Rory's education.  The fact that Lorelai had Rory as a teenager, and of course, theincrediblespeedatwhicheveryonetalks.  Did I miss anything?  Also, I want all of you to know that all of what I've written here has come completely off the top of my head.  Ugh.

« Reply #230 on: September 20, 2014, 10:32:34 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
All I know is wife was watching Gilmore Girls. I said "What the heck is this?" She said "That's the mother and that's the daughter" and I was like "That's the mother and that's the daughter? Tell me more." and I was hooked ever after.

« Reply #231 on: September 20, 2014, 10:40:06 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
What about america's next top model?  Come on, there has to be someone on here who's had to endure at least one episode of that ****.  Don't forget dancing with the stars, either.

« Reply #232 on: September 20, 2014, 10:47:14 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Enough with the profanity, filtered or otherwise.

« Reply #233 on: September 20, 2014, 10:58:12 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

One show that never, ever, EVER got the props I felt it deserved was Jeremiah. 2 seasons, they pretty much fit what they wanted to saw in there. If you can get through the ridiculousness of a 36 year old Luke Perry playing a 27ish hero, it is the Kung-Fu/Mad Max mashup you always wanted.

Kung-Fu the show.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #234 on: September 20, 2014, 10:59:56 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
If I had to rank those 4 pizza chains.

1) Papa Ginos
2) Pizza Hut
3) Papa Johns
4) Dominoes

In terms of how their pizza tastes, I think I'd agree with that order.

I'd have to have Pizza Hut on top and Dominoes ahead of Papa Johns... Although now that I think about it I don't recall every having Papa Johns pizza.

« Reply #235 on: September 21, 2014, 12:01:23 AM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
No talk about The Beachcombers? Little Mosque on the Prairies? Northwood? The Red Green Show? Supermarket Sweep?

« Reply #236 on: September 21, 2014, 12:20:48 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4592
The Cosby Show never got bad, but the earlier seasons are better than the latest ones.

Really, though, this is just my excuse to comment on how great the Cosby Show was.  Even the lesser episodes are better than any sitcom on TV right now.

The Cosby Show is something I never really appreciated until I got much older.

At first, it was just a show I watched with my family at 8pm on Thursdays.  I don't ever remember really being that excited to watch it, but it was enough to keep my attention, and I remember enjoying the more outlandish episodes (like when Cliff ate a sausage hoagi before bed or they tried to show Theo what the "real world" was like).  Also I remember watching it in syndication as a kid, but that's more because there wasn't much on back in the late 80's/early 90's for a young kid, and it was something I was at least familiar with.   As I got older, I probably ranked it in the same light as something like Family Matters or Full House or Perfect Strangers, an "adult" show (i.e. not a cartoon, or not a Saved by the Bell style kids show) that I liked enough when I was 10, but something I quickly outgrew.  Definitely had no interest in watching re-runs any more when I was in junior high and high school.

But man, I didn't know what I was missing and how wrong I was about it.  Started watching it in the early-to-mid 2000's as a grown adult, and now I'm thinking this show is hilarious.  Sure I remember it being funny, but I don't remember it being this funny,  It has aged extremely well, and it has so many levels of humor.  Like when Cliff makes a funny face or does something outlandish, ya that was funny for 10 year old me, but his delivery and the way he interacts with his wife and kids and others, that's hilarious for adult me. 

I can't think of a show that aged better that both kids and adults could enjoy.  Fresh Prince and the first several seasons of the Simpsons are the only other shows I can think of that I would say has aged well that audiences of all ages really could enjoy together, but they're not on the same level as the Cosby Show.

It's weird to say for a show that was the #1 ranked tv show for most of its run, but I think it's a very underrated and under-appreciated show today.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #237 on: September 21, 2014, 08:53:35 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

Jericho is a really good one.  Awesome premise and Season One was great but things definitely started to go downhill in season 2 (which I think ended up being the last season anyways).

Sliders is another one that was awesome in the first couple of seasons then turned too weird & I checked out of.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #238 on: September 21, 2014, 11:39:10 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Jericho is a really good one.  Awesome premise and Season One was great but things definitely started to go downhill in season 2 (which I think ended up being the last season anyways).

Sliders is another one that was awesome in the first couple of seasons then turned too weird & I checked out of.
2 excellent examples that I can't believe I overlooked -- especially Sliders.  have to mention same applied to Scrubs as someone else brought up a couple of pages ago.

Jericho was a good concept that petered out.  Sliders--loved the concept.  some of the story lines were eh but  the show kind of off the rails as more characters were changed.

Scrubs started out so great but the seasons when they were transitioning from the original cast to the newer interns were not good.

« Reply #239 on: September 21, 2014, 11:58:36 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Jericho was a good show. I think the problem was they knew that the second season was going to be the end some time before they finished filming and tried to tie up the story lines in a small amount of time.