Author Topic: TV Shows that started great and then went downhill  (Read 66816 times)

Re: TV Shows that started great and then went downhill
« Reply #210 on: September 20, 2014, 07:03:33 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I like Pizza Hut, Dominoes, and Papa Johns. And Papa Gino's.

Papa John's?  Even after saying that he'd be forced to lay off a large number of workers because of Obamacare, lol? ::)  Yeah, that was pure crap.  Jon Stewart destroyed them, as usual, especially the part where Papa John's announced in those ads with Peyton Manning that they were giving away, what, TWO MILLION FREE PIZZAS?  Ahahaha ;D

« Reply #211 on: September 20, 2014, 07:05:33 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
But the books suck. Can;t wait to complain about the next one.

Haha, I'm with you there.  I think the Eyrie's just there to provide some interesting deaths and wind up as a dragon roost anyway.

On topic, I guess no one's mentioned Grey's Anatomy, which started off as a dramatic but touching look at a group of fascinating young women just trying to make their way in this crazy world, but slowly lost its way around the time that hahahahaha I can't do this.  I saw one episode and it was about a main character waking from a coma by giving her ghost mom a hug, so I'm assuming that's about as good as it got, at least comedy-wise.
I hope you're not giving away spoilers.  I really into the show and think that it's been more enjoyable because I have no idea what coming -- example, the red wedding or even Ned's beheading.

as for Gray's Anatomy, they Jumped the Shark years ago.  may not have been brought up earlier because no one thought it was good in the first place ;)   at this point, my wife still watches it but it's gotten so bad with one week everyone's happy, the next week is all drama, back and forth and if you wait a few episodes, the cast does a complete flip on a topic that becomes the new 'it' thing to discuss.  should have put this show to bed years ago.

Grey's anatomy?  Are you ****ing serious?  That show is horrible, and trust me, my mom and sister used to watch it, so I guess that you could say that I've seen too much ;D which is probably why I suffer from Low T (sarcasm).  The revolving door of characters is just insane.  Izzy, Isiah Washington (before he insulted his fellow cast member with a gay slur), O'Malley, McSteamy, McDreamy, McLovin (just kidding), Karev, Lexie, Christina, Torres, Meredith, Addison, the bi female doctor, Bailey, Chief and his wife (no, not Parish lol), and then you've got all of the other random cameos, hookups, relationships - please, for the love of god, MAKE IT STOP!
not sure how you interpreted what I wrote as an approval of Grey's at any point.  Badly written characters from the start.  perfect example of bipolar -- up one week, down the next.  not a single likable character in the cast

Lol, it wasn't.  I was just venting about drowning in estrogen bahaha. 

« Reply #212 on: September 20, 2014, 07:09:13 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
For the people who liked the office, can you please explain to me what about that show was ever funny?  I tried watching a few episodes, but I found myself almost falling asleep.  Is it one of those things where you have to have the experience of working in an office to be able to truly appreciate, comprehend, and laugh at it?  I also found the whole documentary format to be bizarre, but I guess that that's just me.

« Reply #213 on: September 20, 2014, 07:12:05 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
The SyFy channel seems to be great at these types of shows. Haven, Eureka, Warehouse 13, they all tickled my fancy at some point and then got stupid.

Supernatural is one of my favorite shows. Never miss an episode. But the plot lines do seem to be continuously more ridiculous and kind of repetitive. I don't think the show could by any means be considered 'bad', but I do miss ol' Yellow Eyes sometimes.

CALLING KCATTHESTRIPE: Buffy the Vampire Slayer got pretty stupid towards the end. Honestly, how many apocalypse can one person stop? And what kind of idiot moves to Sunnydale? Property values should've plummeted expodentially every season.

The Big Bang Theory actually voiced the same opinion that I did about that channel.  If they can't even get the abbreviation right for their own genre of programming, why should we bother tuning in?  It's sci-fi, not what comes out as siffy lol.

« Reply #214 on: September 20, 2014, 07:15:17 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
For the people who liked the office, can you please explain to me what about that show was ever funny?  I tried watching a few episodes, but I found myself almost falling asleep.  Is it one of those things where you have to have the experience of working in an office to be able to truly appreciate, comprehend, and laugh at it?  I also found the whole documentary format to be bizarre, but I guess that that's just me.
Working in an office helped. The wide range of characters helped.  Various aspects of characters sleeping with other characters helped a lot. The show was the first one I could think of that often employed "breaking down the third wall" (I think it's called that) and revealed their inner thinkings sometimes with hilarious results. Like the time Mindy Kaling yelled in front of the whole office  to the other office boyfriend "Well guess what bub. I'm pregnant and I'm keeping it!" and then in a private interview with us per se shook her head no violently. That was gold. 
Dwight Shrute was  a great character. There were people to root for. There were people to dislike. The boss was that clueless boss we have all had.

« Reply #215 on: September 20, 2014, 07:25:06 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
If I had to rank those 4 pizza chains.

1) Papa Ginos
2) Pizza Hut
3) Papa Johns
4) Dominoes

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #216 on: September 20, 2014, 07:37:56 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Papa John's?  Even after saying that he'd be forced to lay off a large number of workers because of Obamacare, lol? ::)  Yeah, that was pure crap.  Jon Stewart destroyed them, as usual, especially the part where Papa John's announced in those ads with Peyton Manning that they were giving away, what, TWO MILLION FREE PIZZAS?  Ahahaha ;D
The Peyton Manning endorsement means they can never get higher than #3 seeing as how he's the 3rd best Qb in his family. But Papa John's anti-Obama issues don't affect my pizza.  Doesn't make me more likely, but not less likely either.

« Reply #217 on: September 20, 2014, 07:59:54 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

The Peyton Manning endorsement means they can never get higher than #3 seeing as how he's the 3rd best Qb in his family. But Papa John's anti-Obama issues don't affect my pizza.  Doesn't make me more likely, but not less likely either.

No, I know that.  I just found the absurdity of the whole thing highly amusing.

« Reply #218 on: September 20, 2014, 08:28:04 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Pizza franchises that started great but went downhill?

« Reply #219 on: September 20, 2014, 08:43:27 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I'm going to mention a show now that we can all agree was just plain Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. from start to finish - Charmed.  Ugh.  I feel another Grey's Anatomy rant coming on ;D

« Reply #220 on: September 20, 2014, 08:44:25 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Married with Children is another example of a terrible cheap laugh fiasco that I'd put on this thread if only it had started great.

Let me be the first to throw my hat in the ring in defense of Married with Children.  I think what set it apart from forgettable bathroom-humor shows like 2 and a half men is that there wasn't no wink and nod with MWC.  It wasn't winking at the audience.  It was slapping them in the face.  It reveled in filth.  It was, for lack of a better work, daring.  Has there ever been a network sitcom that was willing to alienate such a large portion of the TV viewing audience? 

Another thing that I think separated it from similar shows was its actors.  Ed O'Neill's portrayal of Al Bundy is one of the best performances I've ever seen in a sitcom.  Katie Segal was terrific as Peg.  And Amanda Bearse (Darci) was one of the best supporting characters I've ever seen.  Both her husbands (Steve and Jefferson) were played by talented actors as well.  Even the kids, who started out fairly awful, definitely grew into their roles (especially Christina Applegate).

perfectly put..

Al Bundy is a classic.  Ed O'Neill has had a long and interesting career.  He somehow has been cast in either that sort of role or a cop (generally a serious cop too).

Married with Children is definitely one of the best sit coms ever.   
Yup

« Reply #221 on: September 20, 2014, 08:51:02 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I'm going to mention a show now that we can all agree was just plain **** from start to finish - Charmed.  Ugh.  I feel another Grey's Anatomy rant coming on ;D
Charmed? Omg. You poor kid.

« Reply #222 on: September 20, 2014, 09:54:30 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
I'm going to mention a show now that we can all agree was just plain **** from start to finish - Charmed.  Ugh.  I feel another Grey's Anatomy rant coming on ;D
Charmed? Omg. You poor kid.

Lol.  Every.  ****ing.  Day.  Ugh.  Like I said, I've been drowning in estrogen in terms of tv programming haha.  Oh no, it's all coming back (sarcasm).  I'll always now remember the guy from nip tuck as Cole, the source of all evil, and love of Alyssa Milano.  Piper, Prue, Phoebe, Paige, the book, Leo, Wyatt, Chris, Andy, P3, quake - ahhhhhhhhhh!

Seriously, I've seen too much haha, and if anyone needs a synopsis of a chick flick (which is not limited to movies, btw, because you can't forget about the tv shows.  All the tv shows.), pm me on here.  I've probably seen it.  My knowledge in this arena is so unfortunately vast that most girls would probably think I'm gay lol.  Oh, you've seen Stick It, Bring It On, and Make it or Break It?  Omg, me too (sarcasm)!  And what about Lifetime?  Now there's a wealth of quality programming (sarcasm).  Isn't that just totes awesome? ::)

« Reply #223 on: September 20, 2014, 10:05:34 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
All I know is wife was watching Gilmore Girls. I said "What the heck is this?" She said "That's the mother and that's the daughter" and I was like "That's the mother and that's the daughter? Tell me more." and I was hooked ever after.

« Reply #224 on: September 20, 2014, 10:10:14 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
All I know is wife was watching Gilmore Girls. I said "What the heck is this?" She said "That's the mother and that's the daughter" and I was like "That's the mother and that's the daughter? Tell me more." and I was hooked ever after.

ThethingIwasneversureabkutgilmoregirlsisthattheytalksofast .

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner