Author Topic: TV Shows that started great and then went downhill  (Read 66812 times)

Re: TV Shows that started great and then went downhill
« Reply #195 on: September 20, 2014, 06:31:17 AM »

Offline AngryAndIrritable

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 29
Whoops, forgot 'Scrubs'. The last couple of series were painfully bad at times. Not having JD as the narrator pretty much rendered the series pointless. Not surprised it got cancelled soon after.

Soccer AM (British Saturday-morning comedy/soccer show) has been the same tired old jokes for years now, which is a shame as it was essential viewing some years ago.

« Reply #196 on: September 20, 2014, 07:12:11 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I mean, we're the greatest military power in the world, but the only reason we can sustain a state of perpetual war is because we've got a peaceful prosperous nation just taking up all the best farm land of an entire continent.

And Big Bang theory is utterly terrible. It's always been terrible. Just like Two and a Half Men. The show is as insightful as peak two and a half men.

Without a laugh track people wouldn't have any idea when to laugh, because the jokes are terrible.

Great posts in this thread IP!   

I don't agree though that Big Bang and 2 and a half men are comparable.  2 and 1/2 is 100% predictable sex or bathroom humor -- really the cheapest and easiest writing.  Big Bang at least has moments of clever.  Married with Children is another example of a terrible cheap laugh fiasco that I'd put on this thread if only it had started great.

I am sure someone must have brought up Sons of Anarchy.   I wouldn't say it was ever "great" but it started off reasonably entertaining and by season 3 I just had to stop.   The Katie Sagal character might be the worst character (and worst acted) in TV history. 

« Reply #197 on: September 20, 2014, 07:36:56 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Did anyone else here watch Moonlighting with Bruce Willis and Cybil Shepard in the 80's when the Celtics weren't on?

« Reply #198 on: September 20, 2014, 09:17:26 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Frasier was really well written. I feel like half of the gripes in this thread are based around taste, rather than quality -- Big Bang Theory is actually a really good example of that. That show is airtight. Not something I'd watch by choice, but well done.

That's like saying you admire the way Pizza Hutt has cornered the market on diarrhea pizza. Not something you'd eat by choice, but airtight.

No, it's being able to tell the difference between what you like and what's good.  And there is a difference.

Mike

« Reply #199 on: September 20, 2014, 09:29:00 AM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
The Office - mostly after Steve Carrel left but the writing was getting shoddy toward the end of his era.. smart move for Steve

King of the Hill - the writing became terrible after 5 seasons, some of the best dry humor I've seen from a show..

Always Sunny in Philadelphia - wont say its all the way down hill and they still produce good episodes but they also have some terrible ones too.. For every good new episode there also is a bad one..

Boardwalk Empire - is it me or does Steve Buchemi never change character... really this guy can not act ... same delivery in every movie, voice never alters.. I liked him in Fargo and Big Lebowski but still not a great portrayal.. Back to the show the writing and characters have just gone downhill... killed off all the good ones except for Michael Shannon..

« Reply #200 on: September 20, 2014, 09:33:04 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Frasier was really well written. I feel like half of the gripes in this thread are based around taste, rather than quality -- Big Bang Theory is actually a really good example of that. That show is airtight. Not something I'd watch by choice, but well done.

That's like saying you admire the way Pizza Hutt has cornered the market on diarrhea pizza. Not something you'd eat by choice, but airtight.

No, it's being able to tell the difference between what you like and what's good.  And there is a difference.

Mike

I bet people who think Pizza Hut is good pizza would agree with you.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #201 on: September 20, 2014, 03:18:04 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Except for the diarrhea.

Sidebar, worst word to spell correctly then look at it and think, no, that can't be how that's spelled: Diarrhea or Colonel?

It's the same equivocation between making a 3 minute pop song and a multi-movement symphony. They're both music, sure, but you'd have to be knowingly clinging to ignorance to think that you could measure them according to the same criteria.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #202 on: September 20, 2014, 04:22:15 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Except for the diarrhea.

Sidebar, worst word to spell correctly then look at it and think, no, that can't be how that's spelled: Diarrhea or Colonel?

It's the same equivocation between making a 3 minute pop song and a multi-movement symphony. They're both music, sure, but you'd have to be knowingly clinging to ignorance to think that you could measure them according to the same criteria.
right....whereas Frasier and BBT could be held to similar standards.

For a lot of those shows I meant at their height. At their best.

« Reply #203 on: September 20, 2014, 04:51:39 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
But the books suck. Can;t wait to complain about the next one.

Haha, I'm with you there.  I think the Eyrie's just there to provide some interesting deaths and wind up as a dragon roost anyway.

On topic, I guess no one's mentioned Grey's Anatomy, which started off as a dramatic but touching look at a group of fascinating young women just trying to make their way in this crazy world, but slowly lost its way around the time that hahahahaha I can't do this.  I saw one episode and it was about a main character waking from a coma by giving her ghost mom a hug, so I'm assuming that's about as good as it got, at least comedy-wise.
I hope you're not giving away spoilers.  I really into the show and think that it's been more enjoyable because I have no idea what coming -- example, the red wedding or even Ned's beheading.

as for Gray's Anatomy, they Jumped the Shark years ago.  may not have been brought up earlier because no one thought it was good in the first place ;)   at this point, my wife still watches it but it's gotten so bad with one week everyone's happy, the next week is all drama, back and forth and if you wait a few episodes, the cast does a complete flip on a topic that becomes the new 'it' thing to discuss.  should have put this show to bed years ago.

Grey's anatomy?  Are you ****ing serious?  That show is horrible, and trust me, my mom and sister used to watch it, so I guess that you could say that I've seen too much ;D which is probably why I suffer from Low T (sarcasm).  The revolving door of characters is just insane.  Izzy, Isiah Washington (before he insulted his fellow cast member with a gay slur), O'Malley, McSteamy, McDreamy, McLovin (just kidding), Karev, Lexie, Christina, Torres, Meredith, Addison, the bi female doctor, Bailey, Chief and his wife (no, not Parish lol), and then you've got all of the other random cameos, hookups, relationships - please, for the love of god, MAKE IT STOP!
not sure how you interpreted what I wrote as an approval of Grey's at any point.  Badly written characters from the start.  perfect example of bipolar -- up one week, down the next.  not a single likable character in the cast

« Reply #204 on: September 20, 2014, 05:06:57 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Married with Children is another example of a terrible cheap laugh fiasco that I'd put on this thread if only it had started great.

Let me be the first to throw my hat in the ring in defense of Married with Children.  I think what set it apart from forgettable bathroom-humor shows like 2 and a half men is that there wasn't no wink and nod with MWC.  It wasn't winking at the audience.  It was slapping them in the face.  It reveled in filth.  It was, for lack of a better work, daring.  Has there ever been a network sitcom that was willing to alienate such a large portion of the TV viewing audience? 

Another thing that I think separated it from similar shows was its actors.  Ed O'Neill's portrayal of Al Bundy is one of the best performances I've ever seen in a sitcom.  Katie Segal was terrific as Peg.  And Amanda Bearse (Darci) was one of the best supporting characters I've ever seen.  Both her husbands (Steve and Jefferson) were played by talented actors as well.  Even the kids, who started out fairly awful, definitely grew into their roles (especially Christina Applegate).

« Reply #205 on: September 20, 2014, 05:12:09 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup

Mike

I'm sure they offer a similar product for Pizza Hut lovers.

Yup

« Reply #206 on: September 20, 2014, 05:25:14 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I like Pizza Hut, Dominoes, and Papa Johns. And Papa Gino's.

« Reply #207 on: September 20, 2014, 06:29:00 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55
Married with Children is another example of a terrible cheap laugh fiasco that I'd put on this thread if only it had started great.

Let me be the first to throw my hat in the ring in defense of Married with Children.  I think what set it apart from forgettable bathroom-humor shows like 2 and a half men is that there wasn't no wink and nod with MWC.  It wasn't winking at the audience.  It was slapping them in the face.  It reveled in filth.  It was, for lack of a better work, daring.  Has there ever been a network sitcom that was willing to alienate such a large portion of the TV viewing audience? 

Another thing that I think separated it from similar shows was its actors.  Ed O'Neill's portrayal of Al Bundy is one of the best performances I've ever seen in a sitcom.  Katie Segal was terrific as Peg.  And Amanda Bearse (Darci) was one of the best supporting characters I've ever seen.  Both her husbands (Steve and Jefferson) were played by talented actors as well.  Even the kids, who started out fairly awful, definitely grew into their roles (especially Christina Applegate).

perfectly put..

« Reply #208 on: September 20, 2014, 06:54:59 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Haven't read every post in this thread but shows that come to mind.

-How I Met Your Mother (final 2-3 seasons were pretty bad)
-Miami Vice (seasons 4 & 5)
-24 (after season 5)
-The O.C. (after season 2)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #209 on: September 20, 2014, 07:00:26 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Mike

Hey hey hey - I love Pizza Hut's pan pizza, but I only have it once or twice a year, tops, lol, because it's so bad for you.  Plus, I thought that it was Denny's that had the diarrhea market cornered ;), but I've never been there.  I tried Dominoes once, their pan pan pizza, anyway, and it was pretty good.  Not Pizza Hut, but close.  My mom always used to point out that in England, she ordered a cheese pizza and it came with canned corn on it.  When she replied that she hadn't asked for corn, they said that it was a standard issue thing, and she never ate there again.  Possibly because of diarrhea, iirc.  Either way, she has no interest in acknowledging that her data might be outdated by 30 years, but whatever ;D

Still, after seeing all of those commercials about Dominoes revamping everything, I decided why not, it's only $5.00 anyway, haha.  What always got me about those ads was the part when their, "head chef," came out, and I thought, "wait a minute, Dominoes has a chef?"