Author Topic: TV Shows that started great and then went downhill  (Read 67040 times)

Re: TV Shows that started great and then went downhill
« Reply #165 on: September 19, 2014, 01:36:04 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I personally think Curb Your Enthusiasm went downhill after the season Larry was in The Producers.  The family living with them never did it for me.  I thought the Seinfeld (and I'm a huge Seinfeld fan) reunion season was terrible.

It got good again.  Watch the one where Michael J Fox lives above him.  There was  lull but he got his mojo back by the end

« Reply #166 on: September 19, 2014, 01:38:31 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
I personally think Curb Your Enthusiasm went downhill after the season Larry was in The Producers.  The family living with them never did it for me.  I thought the Seinfeld (and I'm a huge Seinfeld fan) reunion season was terrible.

Curb does not belong on this list as it is universally regarded as a huge success. No one stopped watching after 1-2 seasons. But I can't really disagree with the rest of what you said.

« Reply #167 on: September 19, 2014, 01:46:23 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
But the books suck. Can;t wait to complain about the next one.

Haha, I'm with you there.  I think the Eyrie's just there to provide some interesting deaths and wind up as a dragon roost anyway.

On topic, I guess no one's mentioned Grey's Anatomy, which started off as a dramatic but touching look at a group of fascinating young women just trying to make their way in this crazy world, but slowly lost its way around the time that hahahahaha I can't do this.  I saw one episode and it was about a main character waking from a coma by giving her ghost mom a hug, so I'm assuming that's about as good as it got, at least comedy-wise.
I hope you're not giving away spoilers.  I really into the show and think that it's been more enjoyable because I have no idea what coming -- example, the red wedding or even Ned's beheading.

as for Gray's Anatomy, they Jumped the Shark years ago.  may not have been brought up earlier because no one thought it was good in the first place ;)   at this point, my wife still watches it but it's gotten so bad with one week everyone's happy, the next week is all drama, back and forth and if you wait a few episodes, the cast does a complete flip on a topic that becomes the new 'it' thing to discuss.  should have put this show to bed years ago.

« Reply #168 on: September 19, 2014, 02:05:30 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Haha, I'm with you there.  I think the Eyrie's just there to provide some interesting deaths and wind up as a dragon roost anyway.

On topic, I guess no one's mentioned Grey's Anatomy, which started off as a dramatic but touching look at a group of fascinating young women just trying to make their way in this crazy world, but slowly lost its way around the time that hahahahaha I can't do this.  I saw one episode and it was about a main character waking from a coma by giving her ghost mom a hug, so I'm assuming that's about as good as it got, at least comedy-wise.
I hope you're not giving away spoilers.  I really into the show and think that it's been more enjoyable because I have no idea what coming -- example, the red wedding or even Ned's beheading.

I'm not, it's just a guess.  The sky cells seem tailor-made for it.  Nothing along those lines has happened in the books, though.

I think the TV show's gonna start breaking more and more from the books, so spoilers will be less accurate anyway.

« Reply #169 on: September 19, 2014, 02:05:34 PM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104

Or to put it another way, I think The Producers was the last season where every episode was high quality.  The next season had some classics (inviting the sex offender to Seder is one of my all time favorites) but a few duds as well and the hit or misses continued on after that.

« Reply #170 on: September 19, 2014, 02:11:00 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Just So. Didn't I Envision Swords?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #171 on: September 19, 2014, 02:21:56 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I'm not, it's just a guess.  The sky cells seem tailor-made for it.  Nothing along those lines has happened in the books, though.

I think the TV show's gonna start breaking more and more from the books, so spoilers will be less accurate anyway.
interesting pick up on the sky cells.  hadn't thought of that.  TP for insights.

guess if they're breaking from the books, any foreshadowing from the books would be as useless as foreshadowing from the Under the Dome book which was left in the dust long before the end of the first season.

« Reply #172 on: September 19, 2014, 02:27:07 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
here's one I can't believe hasn't been mentioned --> SURVIVOR!

The show has sucked after the first season.  everything after it is just purely derivative of what happened that first season.  No way this show could hope to top a "Naked Dick Hatch" as the winner.  couldn't write anything close to what happened and have anyone believe it.

For that matter, the Apprentice would fit the same mold.  Good first season where Trump was actually a bit educational in his comments but he's devolved into a (even more) self-important blowhard.  first season he somewhat seemed like he took the results a bit more seriously whereas the following seasons seemed he was more into showmanship.  couldn't make it through season 3

« Reply #173 on: September 19, 2014, 02:32:44 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

interesting pick up on the sky cells.  hadn't thought of that.  TP for insights.

guess if they're breaking from the books, any foreshadowing from the books would be as useless as foreshadowing from the Under the Dome book which was left in the dust long before the end of the first season.

An eyrie/aerie is also literally a bird of prey's nest, so there's that too.  Which gives an extra-creepy vibe to those tween clothing stores that American Eagle spun off.

here's one I can't believe hasn't been mentioned --> SURVIVOR!

Survivor's a really good choice.  I loved that show for a couple years then it got stupid in a hurry.  Right around when they stopped going for people with actual real-world skills in favor of more models and actors.  ...just like another great candidate, The Real World.  Which I'm told is somehow still on, and skankier than ever.

« Reply #174 on: September 19, 2014, 02:40:21 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Disagree on Friends, seasons 9 and 10, not as good. Argument can be made it drops off after season 5.

Ugh.  Friends.  How did that show even get on the air?

That's easy, Jennifer Aniston's face.

I liked the X-Files but my gripe with it was the underlying story(ies) with Mulder's sister, and all the mystery with the Cigarette Smoking man. After a while, there was so much confusion with it all that I stopped trying to figure out what was in fact going on with her disappearance and the rest of it. I think I read that even the writers of the show had no clue what was happening, so it just struck me as a big ripoff.

The episodes that dealt with some peculiar curiosity and wrapped themselves up in one or two episodes I always enjoyed, but I just couldn't grasp the ongoing plot lines, because I don't think there was anything to grasp. Though, I stopped watching when the T-1000 replaced Mulder.

« Reply #175 on: September 19, 2014, 02:42:47 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
This season of Ink Master is bad. Previous ones were much better.

« Reply #176 on: September 19, 2014, 09:22:03 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
My wife told me One Tree Hill gets really bad when the kids grow up and one of them is a famous actress.. one becomes a famous singer, one becomes a professional basketball player.  Yeah.. add One Tree Hill to this list

Never watched.  Isn't it like gossip girl or some **** lol?  Anyway, I always confuse one tree hill with turkey hill ice cream haha ;D

Haha I think I was either in middle school or just starting high school when One Tree Hill came out and I watched some of season one with my parents. I remember them saying it got really weird when they became older and they were all strangely super successful.

My guilt embarrassing pleasure was the OC. Which I'll admit I absolutely loved for seasons one, two and most of three. I think season four went way down hill and just didn't make sense but I don't really remember..... However, season three I was a freshman in college and I was too embarrassed to watch it in my dorm...So I would make my mom tape it on VHS tapes and I would binge watch on my school breaks.

Ahhh.. That felt good to get off my chest.

Well then, I'm glad that I could help ;D  You're a guy, right, lol?  It's fine, I just remember every girl in middle school talking about the oc, and I was always like, "what the hell is the oc?"  I never watched it, so I don't know it's premise (if it had one haha), but that was the program with Mischa Barton, right?

« Reply #177 on: September 19, 2014, 09:24:50 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Of the top of my head:  Lost, Homeland, BSG, Weeds, Californication, Heroes...

« Reply #178 on: September 19, 2014, 09:29:10 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Disagree on Friends, seasons 9 and 10, not as good. Argument can be made it drops off after season 5.

Ugh.  Friends.  How did that show even get on the air?

That's easy, Jennifer Aniston's face.

I liked the X-Files but my gripe with it was the underlying story(ies) with Mulder's sister, and all the mystery with the Cigarette Smoking man. After a while, there was so much confusion with it all that I stopped trying to figure out what was in fact going on with her disappearance and the rest of it. I think I read that even the writers of the show had no clue what was happening, so it just struck me as a big ripoff.

The episodes that dealt with some peculiar curiosity and wrapped themselves up in one or two episodes I always enjoyed, but I just couldn't grasp the ongoing plot lines, because I don't think there was anything to grasp. Though, I stopped watching when the T-1000 replaced Mulder.

Really?  That's the only reason?  Are you Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing kidding me lol?  That show sucked.  Did it even have a premise?  Chandler reminded me of someone I knew, and Joey was funny, but the rest was just, ugh.  I also never thought that Seinfeld was even the least bit interesting, let alone funny.  I tried to find Seinfeld funny, really, I did, but it never happened, even with his stand up routine.

« Reply #179 on: September 19, 2014, 09:41:19 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

as for Gray's Anatomy, they Jumped the Shark years ago.  may not have been brought up earlier because no one thought it was good in the first place ;)   at this point, my wife still watches it but it's gotten so bad with one week everyone's happy, the next week is all drama, back and forth and if you wait a few episodes, the cast does a complete flip on a topic that becomes the new 'it' thing to discuss.  should have put this show to bed years ago.

Grey's anatomy?  Are you Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing serious?  That show is horrible, and trust me, my mom and sister used to watch it, so I guess that you could say that I've seen too much ;D which is probably why I suffer from Low T (sarcasm).  The revolving door of characters is just insane.  Izzy, Isiah Washington (before he insulted his fellow cast member with a gay slur), O'Malley, McSteamy, McDreamy, McLovin (just kidding), Karev, Lexie, Christina, Torres, Meredith, Addison, the bi female doctor, Bailey, Chief and his wife (no, not Parish lol), and then you've got all of the other random cameos, hookups, relationships - please, for the love of god, MAKE IT STOP!