Author Topic: TV Shows that started great and then went downhill  (Read 66813 times)

Re: TV Shows that started great and then went downhill
« Reply #90 on: September 18, 2014, 07:18:36 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
The Big Bang Theory after seasons the first two seasons.  Initially, it was great, but like all geek-nerd (and for most of my life I've been put in one of those two groups.  Well, kind of.) shows, it just runs out of material, because there's only so many jokes that can be made, quite honestly.  I haven't watched it in a while because it's not funny anymore, and it's become more of a relationship based show, which was never its premise.  The character development is pathetic, as well.  Take Sheldon, for example.  In the first couple of seasons, his quirks and strange idiosyncrasies were hilarious, but now they're just forced and not funny, especially with his laugh.  It's like they're trying to hard, and, getting back to Sheldon again, everything he does seems terribly contrived.  It worked for the first few seasons, but it's just terrible now, imo.

For the most part I agree with this, although I've continued to be a somewhat regular viewer.  I did think Season 3 was largely good (you may have not liked the relationships, but they set up the Leonard-Penny story in the pilot, so they were being good with that).  Seasons 4-6 were generally disappointing, 4 and 6 being worse than 5.  The second half of last season, however, actually had some real, not contrived character development for the first time in years.  It will be interesting to see if they keep that going this season or not, but there's a chance that this is a show that finds its way again after stumbling about looking for odd gags and shark-jumping story lines for multiple seasons.

I do think you're right that the de-emphasis on science/math jokes has been disappointing, however, as the show's popularity has grown and more mainstream humor has taken its place.

No, I understood that, it's just that that was never the premise of the show, or maybe I just wrongly interpreted it from the beginning.  I don't know, I just find it boring now, and they just got another three seasons  :o - for what?  How much more can they possibly stretch out of what's left of the original program, haha?

« Reply #91 on: September 18, 2014, 08:01:27 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Boardwalk Empire for the first three seasons was my only "can't miss" program....season 4 slipped a little and, so far, the first two episodes of the final season lack any continuity and are not up to previous standards

« Reply #92 on: September 18, 2014, 08:21:42 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
The Big Bang Theory after seasons the first two seasons.  Initially, it was great, but like all geek-nerd (and for most of my life I've been put in one of those two groups.  Well, kind of.) shows, it just runs out of material, because there's only so many jokes that can be made, quite honestly.  I haven't watched it in a while because it's not funny anymore, and it's become more of a relationship based show, which was never its premise.  The character development is pathetic, as well.  Take Sheldon, for example.  In the first couple of seasons, his quirks and strange idiosyncrasies were hilarious, but now they're just forced and not funny, especially with his laugh.  It's like they're trying to hard, and, getting back to Sheldon again, everything he does seems terribly contrived.  It worked for the first few seasons, but it's just terrible now, imo.

I completely agree.  I'll stretch it to three seasons, then it fell off a cliff for me.

The first few seasons they did a great job establishing Sheldon as this super smart guy that is terribly unsocialized and doesnt know how to interact with anyone, and the comedy they made with it was great.  Now it's just so forced, they go to the well so much for jokes that he just comes off as an idiot instead of this anti social genius.

Then yes of course, now theyre all in relationships and 95% of the jokes are based on said relationships. It's a show you watch with your girlfriend now, instead of a cool show that cracks jokes about geeky stereotypes.

Come to think of it, the show really reminds me of 'Friends'  that show was hilarious until all of them started sleeping together, then it turned into a soap opera with some corny jokes forced in.
Greg

« Reply #93 on: September 18, 2014, 08:43:21 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
Heroes, Prison Break, The Walking Dead.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2014, 08:52:28 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I thought the walking dead was okay, then really bad, then got good, then got bad again?

I quit during the first part of the second season. It was so bad.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #95 on: September 18, 2014, 08:55:43 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
I thought the walking dead was okay, then really bad, then got good, then got bad again?

I quit during the first part of the second season. It was so bad.

It really got boring. Now everytime I see ads relating to it, I switch channel.

« Reply #96 on: September 18, 2014, 08:55:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

For the most part I agree with this, although I've continued to be a somewhat regular viewer.  I did think Season 3 was largely good (you may have not liked the relationships, but they set up the Leonard-Penny story in the pilot, so they were being good with that).  Seasons 4-6 were generally disappointing, 4 and 6 being worse than 5.  The second half of last season, however, actually had some real, not contrived character development for the first time in years.  It will be interesting to see if they keep that going this season or not, but there's a chance that this is a show that finds its way again after stumbling about looking for odd gags and shark-jumping story lines for multiple seasons.

I do think you're right that the de-emphasis on science/math jokes has been disappointing, however, as the show's popularity has grown and more mainstream humor has taken its place.

No, I understood that, it's just that that was never the premise of the show, or maybe I just wrongly interpreted it from the beginning.  I don't know, I just find it boring now, and they just got another three seasons  :o - for what?  How much more can they possibly stretch out of what's left of the original program, haha?
must be me but I still really like Big Bang.  have to admit last season was not as good as the previous years though.  a little leery the show got 3 more years after this disappointing last season. 

« Reply #97 on: September 18, 2014, 08:56:17 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
Hopefully Gotham is okay. I downloaded episode 1 already. Will see it later.

« Reply #98 on: September 18, 2014, 08:59:35 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
One show I will always fight about 'getting worse' is Community. Season 4 notwithstanding.

For me, Community got better with each season. Except season 4.

« Reply #99 on: September 18, 2014, 09:01:29 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I agree on Under the Dome & Dexter. After the amazing Season 4 of Dexter it went downhill fast.

Family Guy has gone down hill the last few years. True blood was awful the last couple years. Falling Skies was amazing the first season and now it is just a horrible show. It's almost like they replaced the writers after the first season. 

I think it is almost impossible to leave on top.If it ends on top you always feel like you want more, but if you happen to get more it feels it goes on too long..You almost can't win.

Something like True Detective was so amazing that I wanted more and I am glad they are doing another season but I wanted more of Woody & Mcconaughey.

Some good timed current ones still are Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, and American Horror Story. They should probably end soon before they go downhill.

Something like Sopranos almost timed it perfect but did go on just a little too far. Sons of Anarchy are ending at an almost perfect time too. Breaking Bad ended right on time too.

I disagree on Leftovers, I know it is depressing but I love that show.  If you haven't finished the season try to stick it out.
Aw, see, I still think Family Guy is one of the best shows out there.  I laugh every bit as much as I used to, if anything there's more wit now and less filler.

Same thing with Friends, I think that show that could have lasted another 10 years.  Wasn't ruined when Chandler and Monica hooked up, wasn't ruined when Ross and Rachel had a baby, it just kept on chugging.  It never got caught up in either of those relationships, it was always about the entire ensemble playing off each other.

Surprised no one has said House.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #100 on: September 18, 2014, 09:04:16 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
One show I'm kinda impressed with, but sorta went downhill was the Cosby Show. As the kids grew up it became difficult to keep it good, but they transitioned well into the whole grandparent aspect of things and also spun off a decent college show.  The episode where the 2nd youngest brought home her fiancee totally out of the blue from college was really good. Bill was really good in it and so was the fiancee. I learned a lot from that episode. Very well written.

« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2014, 09:04:47 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
The first four seasons of Aqua Teen Hunger Force was some of the funniest television that I've ever seen.  Then around season 5 it went of the tracks, replacing good character development and good jokes with just random weirdness.  Granted I haven't seen much past season seven or so, so it may have improved again, but TV shows rarely get better once they've started on the downslope.
I loved that show

« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2014, 09:05:05 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
the x files

I'm rewatching that with my girlfriend and it really holds up (for the first few seasons at least).  I know it sucks later but Seasons 2 and 3 are fantastic, I'm hooked again.  I haven't watched it at all in like 6 or 7 years and I'm really enjoying it.

« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2014, 09:05:17 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Futurama got a little weird/old, but it was great they brought it back because it clearly wasn't done

« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2014, 09:08:36 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
South Park has settled into 2012 Paul Pierce mode. They only really bring it every other episode.