Author Topic: TV Shows that started great and then went downhill  (Read 67041 times)

Re: TV Shows that started great and then went downhill
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2014, 04:11:18 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Twin Peaks.  It was always quirky but early on you could follow even with all the oddball characters.  In in the later seasons it just got out of control with one plot twist after another (though I find this to be the case with a lot of David Lynch films).

The first four seasons of Aqua Teen Hunger Force was some of the funniest television that I've ever seen.  Then around season 5 it went of the tracks, replacing good character development and good jokes with just random weirdness.  Granted I haven't seen much past season seven or so, so it may have improved again, but TV shows rarely get better once they've started on the downslope.

The show becoming weird and unfunny could correlate with you smoking less pot.  ;)

I would like to combine these two threads in defense of Twin Peaks

« Reply #76 on: September 18, 2014, 04:18:29 PM »

Offline CeltsAcumen

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
My first choice, as a nerd, is Battlestar Galactica on Sci Fi.

First 2 seasons were excellent and I give it high praise.  They seemed to figure out a great combination of Science fiction and "real" life issues.

After that it got very religious and crazy.  Most of the other seasons and episodes are difficult to follow because it makes very little sense.

The ending is garbage and it taints the rest of the show. 

That would be my choice.

Deadwood would be another, first season was amazing, rest was OK.

« Reply #77 on: September 18, 2014, 04:49:09 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think the Sopranos lost their mojo at the end.   Still was good but they had no where to go but down.

« Reply #78 on: September 18, 2014, 05:07:35 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
the x files
Greg

« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2014, 05:23:57 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

First 2 seasons were excellent and I give it high praise.  They seemed to figure out a great combination of Science fiction and "real" life issues.

After that it got very religious and crazy.  Most of the other seasons and episodes are difficult to follow because it makes very little sense.

That would be my choice.

I'd have to disagree. Battle Star combined religion and science, making them one and the same. It also deals with the reboot of the human race, which we have already had a couple times.
 small spoiler....

It all ties up in the end, were religious beliefs and science theory can co-exist. Something we haven't accomplished yet. And the last episode made you think, and question"have we done this before?"

« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2014, 05:29:18 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Some shows get better.

I think Cheers went downhill without Coach and Diane, but a lot of people liked Kristie Alley, and they increased Woody's role.

I think Gilmore Girls and Sex in the City went out at their peaks prematurely. Firefly/Serenity going out in only one season was a travesty.

« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2014, 05:44:53 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Every tv show ever.

« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2014, 05:57:27 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
The Big Bang Theory after seasons the first two seasons.  Initially, it was great, but like all geek-nerd (and for most of my life I've been put in one of those two groups.  Well, kind of.) shows, it just runs out of material, because there's only so many jokes that can be made, quite honestly.  I haven't watched it in a while because it's not funny anymore, and it's become more of a relationship based show, which was never its premise.  The character development is pathetic, as well.  Take Sheldon, for example.  In the first couple of seasons, his quirks and strange idiosyncrasies were hilarious, but now they're just forced and not funny, especially with his laugh.  It's like they're trying to hard, and, getting back to Sheldon again, everything he does seems terribly contrived.  It worked for the first few seasons, but it's just terrible now, imo.

« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2014, 06:00:56 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Great call on the Simpsons.

Which year do they call for the show ending? 1997? 1998?1999?2000?

« Reply #84 on: September 18, 2014, 06:07:30 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
Star Trek: the Original Series
amazingly classic show, but most of the iconic episodes came in season 1: naked time, city on the edge of forever, balance of terror, the menagerie 1+2, where no man has gone before, devil in the dark, space seed, corbomite maneuver, errand of mercy, arena... the list goes on and on, that first season was epic, groundbreaking, timeless sci-fi.
seasons 2 and 3 are a mixed bag, and between them there aren't nearly as many classics. budget cuts by NBC certainly didn't help, they were a big reason why the series failed.

« Reply #85 on: September 18, 2014, 06:20:04 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

That would be my choice.

I'd have to disagree. Battle Star combined religion and science, making them one and the same. It also deals with the reboot of the human race, which we have already had a couple times.
 small spoiler....

It all ties up in the end, were religious beliefs and science theory can co-exist. Something we haven't accomplished yet. And the last episode made you think, and question"have we done this before?"

That was the idea but I believe they failed. Saying something and making you believe that is.

One sci-fi show that did pull off religion and science that I feel is exempt from the "most scifi shows go bad" is the brilliant show Quantum Leap.

« Reply #86 on: September 18, 2014, 06:27:29 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
The Big Bang Theory after seasons the first two seasons.  Initially, it was great, but like all geek-nerd (and for most of my life I've been put in one of those two groups.  Well, kind of.) shows, it just runs out of material, because there's only so many jokes that can be made, quite honestly.  I haven't watched it in a while because it's not funny anymore, and it's become more of a relationship based show, which was never its premise.  The character development is pathetic, as well.  Take Sheldon, for example.  In the first couple of seasons, his quirks and strange idiosyncrasies were hilarious, but now they're just forced and not funny, especially with his laugh.  It's like they're trying to hard, and, getting back to Sheldon again, everything he does seems terribly contrived.  It worked for the first few seasons, but it's just terrible now, imo.

For the most part I agree with this, although I've continued to be a somewhat regular viewer.  I did think Season 3 was largely good (you may have not liked the relationships, but they set up the Leonard-Penny story in the pilot, so they were being good with that).  Seasons 4-6 were generally disappointing, 4 and 6 being worse than 5.  The second half of last season, however, actually had some real, not contrived character development for the first time in years.  It will be interesting to see if they keep that going this season or not, but there's a chance that this is a show that finds its way again after stumbling about looking for odd gags and shark-jumping story lines for multiple seasons.

I do think you're right that the de-emphasis on science/math jokes has been disappointing, however, as the show's popularity has grown and more mainstream humor has taken its place.

« Reply #87 on: September 18, 2014, 06:43:54 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
Here are 2 old shows that had precipitous falls:

1.   MASH:  Big drop off as a comedy after season 1.  McLean Stevenson and Wayne Rogers left and were replaced by dull and duller Harry Morgan and Mike Farrell.  The show benefitted early on from understated Klinger , Radar, houlihan, and burns, and lost it's touch when those characters became caricatures.

2. Happy Days: after one  very strong season this show devolved into a collection of catch-phrases.  It was done long before they started jumping sharks.

« Reply #88 on: September 18, 2014, 06:59:29 PM »

Offline furball

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 95
Here are 2 old shows that had precipitous falls:

1.   MASH:  Big drop off as a comedy after season 1.  McLean Stevenson and Wayne Rogers left and were replaced by dull and duller Harry Morgan and Mike Farrell.  The show benefitted early on from understated Klinger , Radar, houlihan, and burns, and lost it's touch when those characters became caricatures.

2. Happy Days: after one  very strong season this show devolved into a collection of catch-phrases.  It was done long before they started jumping sharks.

It wasn't until after season three that Colonel Blake and Trapper John McIntyre left MASH.  But you are right, it wasn't as good once they left.  But it was still good. 

« Reply #89 on: September 18, 2014, 07:10:15 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
I agree on Under the Dome & Dexter. After the amazing Season 4 of Dexter it went downhill fast.

Family Guy has gone down hill the last few years. True blood was awful the last couple years. Falling Skies was amazing the first season and now it is just a horrible show. It's almost like they replaced the writers after the first season. 

I think it is almost impossible to leave on top.If it ends on top you always feel like you want more, but if you happen to get more it feels it goes on too long..You almost can't win.

Something like True Detective was so amazing that I wanted more and I am glad they are doing another season but I wanted more of Woody & Mcconaughey.

Some good timed current ones still are Game of Thrones, Walking Dead, and American Horror Story. They should probably end soon before they go downhill.

Something like Sopranos almost timed it perfect but did go on just a little too far. Sons of Anarchy are ending at an almost perfect time too. Breaking Bad ended right on time too.

I disagree on Leftovers, I know it is depressing but I love that show.  If you haven't finished the season try to stick it out.

A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird