Author Topic: TV Shows that started great and then went downhill  (Read 67002 times)

TV Shows that started great and then went downhill
« on: September 18, 2014, 09:52:15 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Another topic to kick around while waiting for training camp

Was in a discussion the other day about TV shows that had a great first season but for whatever reason went down the tubes from there.  Whether it was writing, plotlines, acting, etc...

What shows did you think were great (or at least enjoyable) when they started out but then went downhill?  What was the reason the show declined in your opinion?

For me, the top shows I really liked that lost their way were:
- Heroes --> killer first season but the writing and storylines were just completely incohesive the following seasons.
- Chuck --> loved this show starting out but it was a shell of itself the last couple of seasons.  I think they had a terrific premise but had no clue where to logically progress the show after the second season.
- Men Behaving Badly --> hysterical first season with Rob Schneider, Ron Eldard and Justine Bateman.  By far the funniest thing Rob Schneider has ever done--almost tailor-made for him.  The cast shake-up due to the contract demands from Eldard and Bateman killed a really funny show.  The replacements and the subsequent writing the following season were such a disappointment.

Any thoughts?

Re: TV Shows that started great and then went downhill
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 09:58:44 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
Dexter

/thread
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2014, 09:59:07 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Agree with Heroes.  I liked Chuck even at the end.

True Blood started off great and rapidly declined.  Glee had a pretty solid first season or so and then just fell off a cliff. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 10:05:54 AM »

Offline Rakulp

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 78
I would say all of them...and almost be true.  It'd be easier to list those shows that didn't jump the shark before they were cancelled/ended. :)

Rak

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 10:08:34 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
For me it was Boardwalk Empire. I was obsessed with season 1 and 2.

Then {SPOILERS}........

They killed off the shows best (or second most important) character and it was like what the???? I gave season three a few episodes but I just couldn't get into it anymore. It's too bad cause seasons 1 and 2 were pretty great.

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2014, 10:16:49 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I would say all of them...and almost be true.  It'd be easier to list those shows that didn't jump the shark before they were cancelled/ended. :)

Rak

Agreed.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2014, 10:21:19 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Chuck, great example, well explained

Heroes, agree there as well.

How I Met Your Mother was the most unwatchable tripe I've ever seen towards the end.

Homeland, what an amazing 1st season. What a terrible 2nd season. I don't know what happens after that.

Dexter was really bad after season 4 and Trinity. I even really liked all the guest roles in the show. Julia Stiles, Colin Hanks, Mos Def, Ray Stevenson I thought did a great job, and Yvonne "Sarah Walker" Swarovski Crystals. All great. But the show wasn't. I don't really know whose 'fault' it was. Michael C Hall's performance was consistent from day 1, and I thought that Debra Morgan (don't know the actress) has a nice little metamorphosis. But it doesn't really hold up.

Community had the gas leak year...

I don't remember if Smallville got significantly worse or if I just grew out of it.

Trueblood got so ridiculous. So stupid and ridiculous, it almost seems like "that's the point".

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 10:31:21 AM »

Offline Rufio1986

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 16
The first episode of "The Leftovers" on HBO really hooked me.  Every episode after that seemed to get progressively worse

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 10:36:04 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
I GO BACK IN TIME FOR THIS:

Happy Days-Ron Howard left
All in the Family-Edith (jean stapleton) left
Andy Griffith Show-Don Knotts left
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 10:44:06 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Good topic as I love sci-fi shows. Most sci-fi shows suffer this fate. Battle Star Galactica started great went to bad weird imo. Farscape, each Stargate series, Heroes, Smallville, The Lost, each Star Trek series, Warehouse 13, ...on and on.

Basically ever sci-fi show will "lose it" imo lol

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 10:46:08 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I'll say Under the Dome.  It started out with an interesting concept (and the book was pretty good), and recently, it's just been more and more ridiculous.  You know the writers are making it up as they go along.

Also, 24.  That was one of the better shows on TV for awhile; last season, it was just meh.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 10:48:00 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
thanks for the replies.

Had considered mentioning Trueblood.  plotlines got progressively more screwy with each season.   

Almost mentioned Happy Days too when it became Fonzie Days. 

All in the Family with Edith and Andy Griffith without Don Knotts -- I just can't even consider them the same shows.

Agree on the Leftovers -- show had a great premise and the first show played it well but since then it's just a major depression fest.  have the series on the DVR and have seen the first 4-5 shows but seriously wondering if it's worth finishing the other episodes.

Still like Boardwalk Empire.  Big Buscemi fan so I can't help but watch.  found killing off Darmody to be a real headscratcher since he was built up to be the big antagonist for Nucky.  Still like the show.

Have never seen Dexter or Homeland -- mostly because I don't have Showtime except on promotional weekends.

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 10:49:21 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
I'll say Under the Dome.  It started out with an interesting concept (and the book was pretty good), and recently, it's just been more and more ridiculous.  You know the writers are making it up as they go along.

Also, 24.  That was one of the better shows on TV for awhile; last season, it was just meh.

I still need to check out the latest season of 24. Not on par with the original seasons?
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 10:51:34 AM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346
Uh, Spongebob Squarepants?

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 10:51:52 AM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
Have never seen Dexter or Homeland -- mostly because I don't have Showtime except on promotional weekends.

I think Dexter is on Netflix. Worth checking out. First 4 and a half season is great television. Probably some of the best TV I've watched, but the last couple of seasons were just unbearable. Show just jumped off a cliff. But watch seasons 1-5, but don't watch the last episode of season 5.