Author Topic: Reggie Bush Defends Adrian Peterson  (Read 14477 times)

Reggie Bush Defends Adrian Peterson
« on: September 16, 2014, 11:23:06 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
NFL star Reggie Bush told a radio call-in show that he disciplines his 1-year-old daughter, and one day could do so "harshly," as he came to the defense of fellow star Adrian Peterson's alleged parenting tactics.

The 29-year-old Detroit Lions running back made his comments during the "Boomer and Carton" radio show on New York's WFAN this morning.

"I most definitely discipline my daughter. I have a 1-year-old daughter, and I discipline her," he said. "Obviously, every person is different. I definitely will use my best judgment to discipline her depending on the situation, on what happens. I definitely will try to, will obviously not leave bruises or anything like that on her. But I definitely will discipline her harshly depending on, again, on what the situation is."

Adrian Peterson, the Minnesota Vikings star who now faces criminal charges for allegedly hitting his 4-year-old son with a switch, said that he was physically disciplined as a child and that is how he has chosen to raise his children. Bush said that he had a similar upbringing and "got what we call whoopings, you know, with a belt."

"I know a lot of my friends and a lot of the guys I played with, they were punished the same way, too," Bush said.

He seemed not to rule out the idea of hitting his daughter if he felt it was ever warranted.

"I'm not going to spank her because, hopefully, she won't do anything bad enough to where I have to," he added. "But also, at the same time, kids are going to be kids, and whatever I do, whatever discipline I give her its always out of love. Its always because I want the best for her, for my kids."

When asked directly about using a switch, as Peterson is accused of using, Bush said, "I would possibly consider [it], depending on what she did."

Later, however, he suggested he would not use a switch.

"No, I didn’t say a branch or a stick," he said. "I said spanking. Spanking is different than a branch or a stick."

A representative for Reggie Bush did not respond to a request for clarification from ESPN, which, like ABC News, is owned by Disney.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/reggie-bush-harshly-discipline-year-daughter/story?id=25537109

Re: Reggie Bush Defends Adrian Peterson
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 11:33:14 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
physically disciplining a 1 year old ? Seriously?

what an ****, he should be suspended

Such a ignorant , moronic comment

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 12:29:40 AM »

Offline Kevin OConnor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 24
  • @KevinOConnorNBA
"Discipline is 90% instruction and 10% correction."

http://bit.ly/1qKJO56
www.twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA

I like sports and music.

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 12:44:19 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Oh yeah, and then there's this about Greg Hardy, whose story seems to have slipped through the cracks.  It's getting more attention now, of course (ugh), but this is what was written in Time on 9/11/2014 -

The Convicted Abuser Who’s Still Playing In The NFL

Greg Hardy was convicted of assaulting a woman. Neither the NFL or the Carolina Panthers have benched him

Ray Rice was caught on tape punching his future wife. He’s indefinitely suspended from the NFL. Greg Hardy, a Pro-Bowl defensive end for the Carolina Panthers, was arrested on May 13 for assaulting an ex-girlfriend. On the arrest warrant, a police officer made the following statement. The capital letters appeared in the document.

“I, the undersigned, find that there is probable cause to believe that on or about the date of the offense shown [May 13, 2014] and in the county named above [Mecklenburg County, North Carolina] the defendant named above [Hardy] unlawfully and willingly did assault [redacted], a female person, by GRABBING VICTIM AND THROWING TO THE FLOOR, THROWING INTO A BATHTUB, SLAMMING HER AGAINST A FUTON, AND STRANGLING HER. The defendant is a male person and was at least 18 years of age when the assault occurred.”

On the “complaint and motion for domestic violence protective order,” the accuser described the incident.

“On May 13, 2014, Greg Hardy attacked me in his apartment. Hardy picked me up and threw me into the tile tub area in his bathroom. I have bruises from head to toe, including my head, neck, back, shoulders arms, legs, elbow and feet. Hardy pulled me from the tub by my hair, screaming at me that he was going to kill me, break my arms and other threats that I completely believe. He drug me across the bathroom and out into the bedroom. Hardy choked me with both hands around my throat while I was lying on the floor. Hardy picked me up over his head and threw me onto a couch covered in assault rifles and/or shotguns. I landed on those weapons. Hardy bragged that all of those assault rifles were loaded. Landing on those weapons bruised [my] neck and back. Hardy screamed for his “administrative assistant” (Sammy Curtis) to come into the room and hold me down. Curtis came into the room, grabbed me from behind and held me down. Hardy and Curtis then took me into the living room area. I wasn't nearly strong or fast enough to escape. I begged them to let me go & I wouldn't tell anyone what he did. They took me out into the hall, pushed me down & went back inside his apartment. I crawled to the elevator and ran into CMPD (Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department)

In court, the accuser testified: “He looked me in my eyes and he told me he was going to kill me. I was so scared I wanted to die. When he loosened his grip slightly, I said just,`Do it. Kill me.”

On June 15, a judge found Hardy guilty of assaulting a female and communicating threats. She sentenced him to 18 months probation; a 60-day jail sentence was suspended. Hardy appealed, and since he was convicted of a misdemeanor, under North Carolina law he’s entitled to a jury trial, which is set for Nov. 17. In court, Hardy and Curtis denied that Hardy assaulted the victim, or communicated threats.

The world hasn't seen this incident on tape. Hardy played in Carolina’s first game. He didn't practice on Wednesday for what the team said were “personal reasons” — he met with his attorney. But Hardy returned to practice Thursday and as of right now, he is slated to play on Sunday, as the Panthers host the Detroit Lions. Pressure is building on the team to change that and the Charlotte Observer called for Hardy’s suspension in an editorial.

On Wednesday night, hours after Hardy missed practice, Panthers owner Jerry Richardson received a humanitarian honor in Charlotte: The Echo Award Against Indifference.

http://time.com/3329416/greg-hardy-nfl-domestic-violence/

Unbelievable.

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 12:55:15 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
The Greg Hardy thing sucks for me personally, he was one of my favorite players last year but with this case..makes you nauseous.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 01:01:35 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Back on topic, I have a 1 yr old. I love him very much, more than I could ever envision loving well..anything. But I wouldn't rule out spanking him in the future. I wouldn't rule out not spanking him.

I was spanked as a child, so was my wife. She actually got the belt. I remember my spankings, I remember the ones that worked, and the ones where I realized a tanned hide was a small price to pay to hunt frogs for another hour after dark. I hope I'm a good father and don't screw it up, either by being too punitive or too lenient. It is a really hard path to tread, until you do.

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 01:06:48 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

WHAT do you expect? The guy has no concept of probity. Look at how he got USC into trouble without remorse.

It is highly unlikely that he is telling the truth. I cannot imagine that he is telling the truth about disciplining a one year old.

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 01:13:11 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
The previous post isn't to say I agree with Reggie Bush about all things, least of all Adrian Peterson, but I do think corporal punishment can have merits, with very strict moderation and empathy. Id never use an instrument beyond the human hand to implement it, and the thought of it literally makes me sick to think about, but I can't say for certain that I'll never use it.

I think where it really runs into trouble is when one uses it to exorcise other demons than the behavior at hand. A 1 year old could never be spanked. A 2 year old could never be spanked. My wife is employed dealing with the child victims of domestic violence, and she knows better than I ever will where the 'line' is. I'll defer to her.

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 07:09:30 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Hitting a kid on his/her backside is not really child endangerment...imo, it all depends on the markings/bruises though. I was hit as a kid and do not know if I will do the same with my kids(have none yet).

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 08:13:23 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885

My first thoughts as well. What an idiot. All these morons who are speaking out on these issues should be suspended or fined.

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 08:55:43 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I have to question what level of accountability a 1 year old has.  Does "disciplining" one work?  I'd imagine it would be like disciplining a cat.  Are they capable of associating the discipline as a result of the bad act?
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 09:14:21 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I was spanked as a kid, and got an occasional swat on the arm, but never at such a young age and never with a freaking switch (they joked about it sometimes though).

...and of course my dad was no Adrian Peterson - he could hold on to the ball when it counted.

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 09:16:36 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

My first thoughts as well. What an idiot. All these morons who are speaking out on these issues should be suspended or fined.

We assume that this doesn't cover Arian Foster, who made a fairly salient point about dv on Twitter.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 09:22:03 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I have to question what level of accountability a 1 year old has.  Does "disciplining" one work?  I'd imagine it would be like disciplining a cat.  Are they capable of associating the discipline as a result of the bad act?

No.

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2014, 10:30:55 AM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501
First off, "discipline" should  not be used as a euphemism for corporal punishment or spanking.  There are many ways to apply discipline without physical intervention. I disciplined my children but never hit or spanked (nor did my wife).  If people spent more time thinking about the various ways you can teach or correct behavior rather than just thinking about whether or not to spank, I think most people will decide not to spank. If you can raise healthy, successful children without hitting them, why would you choose to hit them? Because it's easier? Because you haven't thought about, considered or practiced other options?   
We hit usually because we were hit and if we turned out ok that becomes justification for hitting your own children. I respect that parents deal with issues and circumstances that I never had to deal with as a parent -- but we should all consider the possibility that your child can grow up healthy and 'well-disciplined' without having to be hit by the relative giants that are raising him/her.