Author Topic: Reggie Bush Defends Adrian Peterson  (Read 14520 times)

Re: Reggie Bush Defends Adrian Peterson
« Reply #30 on: September 18, 2014, 01:13:30 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Cardinals' Jonathan Dwyer arrested on assault charges

Police have arrested Arizona Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer, 25, on suspicion of aggravated assault, according to a police spokesman.

The Cardinals immediately deactivated Dwyer from all team activities and released a statement Wednesday evening:

"We became aware of these allegations this afternoon when notified by Phoenix police and are cooperating fully.

Given the serious nature of the allegations we have taken the immediate step to deactivate Jonathan from all team activities.

We will continue to closely monitor this as it develops and evaluate additional information as it becomes available."

Phoenix police spokesman Sgt. Trent Crump said team officials have been cooperating with investigators since learning of the allegations.

"They have been on the phone with us most of the afternoon," he said.

Police said Dwyer was arrested Wednesday at the team's training facility in Tempe on allegations stemming from two incidents that occurred on two days in late July at a southeast Phoenix home involving a 27-year-old woman and an 18-month-old boy. The woman did not report the incidents until Sept. 11, said Crump.

Police said the woman left the state with the child shortly after the incidents.

Investigators have spent the time since collecting medical records to verify some of the allegations and interviewing witnesses, some of whom originally reported the incidents to police as the arguments between the couple became heated at their Phoenix home.

Police originally responded to the home Dwyer shared with the woman on July 21 after neighbors called to report a disturbance, Crump said.

Dwyer has admitted his involvement in the incidents but denied the allegations of any physical abuse, Crump said.

The woman, who police identified as a 27-year-old mother of a child she shares with Dwyer, answered the door and convinced officers that the argument was verbal and that Dwyer was not at the home, Crump said.

"They were convinced that the fight was verbal (and) that it was called in by a third party," Crump said.

"She convinced them of that while he was hiding in the home."

Investigators now believe Dwyer was hiding in the bathroom of the house until police left, Crump said.

Dwyer and the woman got into another argument a day later, on July 22, and police believe he took the woman's cell phone and threw it from the second floor of their home, Crump said.

Police believe that Dwyer, during the second altercation, also took a shoe and threw it toward the 18-month-old child he shares with the woman.

Investigators said Dwyer threatened to harm himself on the night the incident in an attempt to keep the woman from contacting police, Crump said.

Dwyer sent text messages to the woman which detectives have also collected, he said.

Police were serving a search warrant at Dwyer's residence in southeast Phoenix early Wednesday evening.

Dwyer was booked into the Fourth Avenue Jail on suspicion of aggravated assault against the woman for fracturing a bone and aggravated assault against the child for throwing the shoe toward the toddler, Crump said. The Cardinals back also faced allegations for preventing the use of a phone and criminal damage for property that was damaged or destroyed during the July incidents, he said.

Dwyer's arrest came after the National Football League has dealt with a spate of players being arrested or convicted of abuse allegations, and within weeks of the league enhancing its punishment for domestic violence allegations to include a mandatory six-game suspension.

Dwyer is in his fifth season in the NFL after the Pittsburgh Steelers drafted him following a collegiate career at Georgia Tech. Dwyer signed a one-year contract with the Cardinals in March.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/sports/nfl/cardinals/2014/09/17/cardinals-johnathan-dwyer-arrested-abrk/15796691/

Lovely (sarcasm).  Another scumbag.

« Reply #31 on: September 18, 2014, 01:24:52 AM »

fitzhickey

What the hell is with NFL players??

« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2014, 01:38:16 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I wonder if you looked at per player ratios, would the NFL dwarf other sports? It's not like the NBA doesn't have their own Greg Oden's or Jared Sullingers.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #33 on: September 18, 2014, 08:05:51 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
My parents never even spanked me and in return I've lived on this earth for 30 years And I've never struck anyone or committed any type of violence against anyone.

I can't Imagins getting hit by a belt or a switch or even getting regular spankings. Those things would probably only have made ME more likely to do violence against someone else or my own kids when I have them. 

How someone can sit there and talk about "disciplining" a 1 year old but "not leave any  bruises" is just sick. This large nfl man is going to be beating his daughter, someone better keep an eye on this loser.

« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2014, 09:06:44 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I am astonished by the nonsense in this thread.  It seems no one actually read the article.  Bush never said he hit, spanked, or was physical in any way with his daughter.  In fact he said he has never spanked her and hopes he never has to and if he does it will be warranted and only be his hand.  A little reading and comprehension of that reading goes a long way when you post on a blog or in a forum.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 09:12:34 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2014, 11:03:32 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I think u will see MLB, NHL, and NBA start to bench players if they are accuse of violence against their spouse or kids as well they should be...
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #36 on: September 18, 2014, 11:23:25 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Dwyer with the "anything you can do I can do better" approach.  Felony domestic violence AND child abuse.  Take that, Rice/Peterson.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2014, 04:12:10 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Dwyer with the "anything you can do I can do better" approach.  Felony domestic violence AND child abuse.  Take that, Rice/Peterson.

Anything except football that you can do

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2014, 04:46:14 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I am astonished by the nonsense in this thread.  It seems no one actually read the article.  Bush never said he hit, spanked, or was physical in any way with his daughter.  In fact he said he has never spanked her and hopes he never has to and if he does it will be warranted and only be his hand.  A little reading and comprehension of that reading goes a long way when you post on a blog or in a forum.

I've  listened repeatedly to Bush's interview.  He was clearly using the term 'discipline' synonymously with physical punishment (spanking; hitting); he alluded to using discipline with his 1-year old, qualifying it by saying "not leaving bruises or marks" and then spoke to agreement with the philosphy of using "harsh discipline" when circumstances warranted it.  He was speaking the whole time in reference to his 1-year old daughter.   

I would be very happy not to hear any more about Bush, Rice, Hardy, Peterson, or the NFL.   I would love it this evolved into a universal discussion about effective alternatives to using hitting for discipline and about how to end domestic violence.  These things also happen outside of the NFL, believe it or not.   Much hitting occurs because we haven't been taught other ways to deal with the frustrating behavior of our children (or with frustration in general). 

It is also an absolute mistake to discount the role of family/neighborhood culture in the use of corporal punishment.  I am guessing that the physical interventions that Peterson was raised on had their origin in preparing children to deal with a dangerous world.   Guys like me who grew in safe, suburban neighborhoods have minimal context for what it's like growing up in truly dangerous areas.  Even though I think that corporal punishment is not the answer, and likely increases rather than decreases a culture of violence, I think we need to be cognizent that this type of 'discipline' is rooted in culture and we won't change anything without acknowledging this. Can't just say "it's wrong because it's wrong"; we have to have some acceptance that harsh discipline is a taught cultural value and it is difficult for people to let go of it without being validated for its origins and shown that there are more effective ways to address misbehavior.

« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2014, 06:13:21 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

I wonder if you looked at per player ratios, would the NFL dwarf other sports? It's not like the NBA doesn't have their own Greg Oden's or Jared Sullingers.

I would think so, but if that was the case it's probably largely to do with the fact that the number of players in the NFL is considerably larger than that of other sports, except for baseball, which, as we all know, has more than enough problems already.

« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2014, 06:24:37 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509

I would think so, but if that was the case it's probably largely to do with the fact that the number of players in the NFL is considerably larger than that of other sports, except for baseball, which, as we all know, has more than enough problems already.
I'd be more interested in knowing how NFL rates of DV or harsh discipline practices with children compares with rates in the general population.  My guess is that it really isn't too different.  Take 50 26yo men randomly off the street who are parents and I'd bet my left arm that there will be perpetrators of domestic violence among the 50.

« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2014, 06:36:50 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I'd be more interested in knowing how NFL rates of DV or harsh discipline practices with children compares with rates in the general population.  My guess is that it really isn't too different.  Take 50 26yo men randomly off the street who are parents and I'd bet my left arm that there will be perpetrators of domestic violence among the 50.

http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-rate-of-domestic-violence-arrests-among-nfl-players/

Short version is the arrest rate is lower across the board, but the gap is a lot smaller for DV in particular.