Author Topic: Rumor - Emeka Okafor Unlikely To Sign Until Midseason, Miami Heat Also Contender  (Read 4667 times)

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Just in case anyone was wondering as to his free agency status.  I guess that he won't be coming here :'( -

All signs point to free agent Emeka Okafor not signing with a team until midseason.  The Cleveland Cavaliers and the Miami Heat reportedly are the two frontrunners for the big man, and both are expected to pursue him to fill their needs for a rim protector.

Okafor is quietly emerging as one of the hottest free agents left on the market.  Teams are seeking the defensive-minded center for his ability to protect the paint and the rim, although all signs point toward Okafor not signing with a team until later in the season.

Earlier reports indicated Okafor, who missed all of last season with a neck injury, was unlikely to be physically fit to play until midseason.  A new report from Cray Allred of Hoops Rumors confirmed Okafor would likely begin the season as a free agent but cited another reason for doing so: more options.

http://www.hngn.com/articles/42418/20140915/cleveland-cavaliers-rumors-free-agent-emeka-okafor-sign-miami-heat.htm

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Excellent play by Cavs if he's healthy

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
It's been known for a while.

Oops.  I must have missed that one.  Sorry, guys.

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
If the Celtics are surprising everyone by hanging around as the 7th-8th seed in January and have a need for a center, with the ability to clear a roster spot and room under the luxury tax to offer more than the minimum with a salary exception, is there mutual interest between the Celtics and Okafor?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Yea, this is probably not by choice because he is injured and probably can't do anything for a team until then. I wouldn't pick him up yet but I could see why some would, you don't want him to get healthy and get more options.

Honestly, I still don't see why we would want to sign him... sure, IF healthy and playing like he's use to, it's good for us, but to see if he can play we'd have to give him minutes the healthy 5 "centers" we have, could be getting.

Ehh, oh well... we will see but I doubt he'd choose to play for us even if he was asked LOL.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Excellent play by Cavs if he's healthy

Or the Heat.  ;)

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
If the Celtics are surprising everyone by hanging around as the 7th-8th seed in January and have a need for a center, with the ability to clear a roster spot and room under the luxury tax to offer more than the minimum with a salary exception, is there mutual interest between the Celtics and Okafor?
Mutual?  probably not on Okafor's part.  I think at this point he's ring-chasing when he signs later this year hence the Cavs and Heat being the primary landing spots

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
Cavs would be a nice fit if he were willing to sign at the minimum. They need a backup defensive big man, and Okafor can go after a ring.

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Honestly, I still don't see why we would want to sign him... sure, IF healthy and playing like he's use to, it's good for us, but to see if he can play we'd have to give him minutes the healthy 5 "centers" we have, could be getting.

The way I see it we have two legit centers on this roster, and they are Zeller and Faverani.  Okafor is far, far better than either of them.

Olynyk can pass as a center due to his size, but is zero shotblocking threat and is probably more effective at PF. 

Joel Anthony is a major offensive liability and I'd be surprised if he sees anything even resembling consistent playing time. 

Sullinger and Bass should not, ever, under any circumstances, see a single minute at the center spot.  Not unless our #1 aim is to tank for another Lottery pick.

Okafor is IMHO a significant upgrade over any 'center' on our roster.  If we want to make a legit attempt at becoming a playoff team (and hence maybe convincing Rondo and/or free agents to come to Boston next season), then I think adding Okafor dramatically improves our chances...assuming he comes back healthy. 

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Okafor isn't coming here for anything but an overpay. We're not in a position to offer that. Seems like a non-starter.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
Okafor isn't coming here for anything but an overpay. We're not in a position to offer that. Seems like a non-starter.

Would Ainge staple a 1st rounder to Wallace in a trade to get under the cap?  If the team is above .500 and bound for the playoffs?

Mike

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Would Ainge staple a 1st rounder to Wallace in a trade to get under the cap?  If the team is above .500 and bound for the playoffs?

Mike
I hope not.  He already took Wallace in order to get first round picks last year.

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Mike

I have no doubt that Danny Ainge would staple a protected 1st to a trade for someone to absorb Wallace's contract today, let alone if we mysteriously managed to climb above .500

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Yep, much like the Magic with Gordon and Frye.