Author Topic: Avery Bradley Improved ball handling ?  (Read 5546 times)

Re: Avery Bradley Improved ball handling ?
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2014, 01:42:23 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
The 8 million dollar a year dribble

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2014, 01:50:16 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
I know I will be in the minority on this one but I think that Bradley is going to continue to improve and in the next few years will be a total combo guard, able to be productive at either PG or SG.  Ability to dribble is an issue but I think he is a good enough athlete to overcome that.  I think what needs to improve is just his overall basketball maturity.

In his rookie season, he looked really bad but I think his problem was more confidence or "nerves"; the athletic ability was clearly there.  I think he is now completely comfortable or confident with the basic shooting guard aspects of the game and that he will continue to expand other mental aspects of the game, such as playmaking.

I don't feel like he is quite on the cusp necessarily but I think we will see a continued slow expansion of his game.  He is still really young both literally and I think emotionally.  I absolutely believe there is still meaningful upside in Avery as he matures.  It just is taking him longer to mature than most young players.

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 02:46:11 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
These videos are old, at least 2 months, he has been working with them all summer. These drills are some of the basic ones, AB is probably much more advanced by now. I have been following this guy and some of the people who work with him for months now, these are cupcake drills, they have surely put AB through work using more of their advanced stuff but haven't done updates. He works with a lot of players, like Lillard and Paul G. (of course b4 the injury lol).

I know AB works hard, so I have no doubt he is much better than these beginner videos. I'm not saying he will be great, just don't make any judgement based on this early in the process videos.

To the OP, thank you for posting these, a lot of people wouldn't see them otherwise. CB is good for getting the news to everyone w/o them having to look through many different ave.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2014, 03:07:38 PM »

Offline CapnDunks

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
I know I will be in the minority on this one but I think that Bradley is going to continue to improve and in the next few years will be a total combo guard, able to be productive at either PG or SG.  Ability to dribble is an issue but I think he is a good enough athlete to overcome that.  I think what needs to improve is just his overall basketball maturity.

In his rookie season, he looked really bad but I think his problem was more confidence or "nerves"; the athletic ability was clearly there.  I think he is now completely comfortable or confident with the basic shooting guard aspects of the game and that he will continue to expand other mental aspects of the game, such as playmaking.

I don't feel like he is quite on the cusp necessarily but I think we will see a continued slow expansion of his game.  He is still really young both literally and I think emotionally.  I absolutely believe there is still meaningful upside in Avery as he matures.  It just is taking him longer to mature than most young players.

TP. I totally Agree. I think Ainge knows what he's doing with that contract. I'm also happy because it means he's less likely to get dealt and we'll get to see him reach his potential. Not a sure thing, but he has substantial upside. I'm very excited to see 25 y/o Avery Bradley.

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2014, 03:40:24 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Last summer Bradley wanted to improve his perimeter shooting and he did. This summer his goal was to improve his ball handling and his offense/facilitating ability in pick and rolls. So far he looks good. Bradley is a great athlete and works hard so I definitely think he'll improve that facet of his game as well.

With the new TV contract set to increase the salary cap his new contract is going to look like a steal very soon. 8M per year will be slightly above mid-level money once the cap is established.

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2014, 04:16:04 PM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
The big take away from this video is that AB is putting in work and that is what should matter.  Even with the injuries, AB has improved each year he has been in the league.

I am a UT grad, still live in Austin, and followed AB since he was with the Horns.  I honestly did not think AB would stick around in the league when he first got to the Celts, but the man just works so hard.  His shot is vastly improved from where it was his rookie year, and I expect that AB can make the same push with his handle and finishing ability.

Thanks to the OP for posting the vid.

Love to see that burnt orange gym.  Hook 'em! \m/

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2014, 04:18:32 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Last summer Bradley wanted to improve his perimeter shooting and he did. This summer his goal was to improve his ball handling and his offense/facilitating ability in pick and rolls. So far he looks good. Bradley is a great athlete and works hard so I definitely think he'll improve that facet of his game as well.

With the new TV contract set to increase the salary cap his new contract is going to look like a steal very soon. 8M per year will be slightly above mid-level money once the cap is established.

I guess my biggest objection with the Bradley contract is couldn't that money have been better spent?

Especially in a year like this one where Ainge already acquired a couple shooting guards like Thornton, James Young and I suppose Marcus Smart (if the plan is to use Smart as a combo guard.) Not to mention Evan "I think he's on the team but I am not really sure" Turner.

So, why spend 8 million over 4 years on Bradley?

Unless he plans on using that contract as a key ingredient in a future trade.

I don't necessarily think Bradley is a bad player, but I also don't think he should be a starter nor do I think he should be paid 8 mil per.

Like I don't understand why Ainge gave Green and Bass the contracts that he gave them.

It's like we have all these mid to bottom mid tier players eating up all the cap space.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 04:26:36 PM by gpap »

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2014, 04:57:16 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I guess my biggest objection with the Bradley contract is couldn't that money have been better spent?

Especially in a year like this one where Ainge already acquired a couple shooting guards like Thornton, James Young and I suppose Marcus Smart (if the plan is to use Smart as a combo guard.) Not to mention Evan "I think he's on the team but I am not really sure" Turner.

I don't necessarily think Bradley is a bad player, but I also don't think he should be a starter nor do I think he should be paid 8 mil per.

Like I don't understand why Ainge gave Green and Bass the contracts that he gave them.

It's like we have all these mid to bottom mid tier players eating up all the cap space.

Thornton has no role or future on this team. The only reason he's on the C's is because he came along with Zeller and a 1st rd pick. Smart won't be a 2 for long, as his natural position, or at least the position he'll excel in on this level, is at PG. Something has to give between he and Rondo and I'm guessing it's the latter. Young provided great value (very high on the C's board and BPA) and has the size to to eventually play either the 2 or 3. Turner was signed to the vet minimum and offers no risk whatsoever. Keep in mind that out of all the players you mentioned only Smart, Bradley, and Young are signed after this season.

8 million years on Bradley will be a very good value. You just have to give it time. Both he and the salary cap continue to ascend.

If you think about it, we were forced to re-sign Green and Bass because we were still in contention and were over the salary cap anyways. If we hadn't we still couldn't add any talent of substance and detractors would've ripped Ainge for not surrounding KG, Pierce, and Rondo with players who can make a difference.

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2014, 05:10:42 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

gpap I agree with you. It's like Ainge wants to prove to everyone that he is so smart that he gives players contracts based on what he projects them to be in a season or two.

Best case scenario is that AB busts out and also helps mature and lead the younger guys(James Young  mostly) on defensive skills and hard work.

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2014, 05:59:00 PM »

Offline OhioGreen

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 55
AB's ballhandling is more than adequate for a two guard---and he is a two guard.  Has always been a two, though a little short for a two.  Due to necessity the C's have had to try to make him into, and make people believe he was a point or combo guard, but he's alway been a two!
Geez, he may be the best defensive guard in the league.  One of the fastest guards in the league.  One of the most athletic guards in the league.  Last year he started to show signs of becoming one of the better shooting guards in the league-----and we're gonna get on his case because of his ballhandling??? Come on!!!

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2014, 07:05:25 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I do hope it translates in games.

I do admire the work he's putting in though. Atleast we know that he's trying his best to be good at it.

Keep it up AB. You're being paid a ton of money, I'm glad you're repaying the Celtics by working hard.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2014, 07:37:55 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I always find it funny that guys hire coaches or whatever to work with them.  Not that it's a bad idea, of course, but the ultimate coach, especially for ball handling, can be found on YouTube lol.  Maybe someone should send these to AB ;D  Go forward, young grasshopper (sarcasm), and learn from the master.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmZwbrrBGCk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2nNoJL9HU0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_yD9JVyo94

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2014, 09:19:22 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Not a coach but more like a trainer, imo.

You need a trainer because you need to be pushed, dribbling the ball in in-game situations and beyond.

I think ball handling drills you see online are quite similar to each other for this reason.

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2014, 10:08:12 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I have some very bad news for you guys...Avery could always handle the ball against inferior competition or in drills like this. When he's going up against NBA caliber defenders that's a whole other issue...he's much better used cutting to the basket not dribbling his way there.

I'm glad he's working on this part of his game but i don't expect his handle to get that much better honestly...

I am a fan of Bradley but I feel like he's someone you need to pair with a tall PG like a MCW or Dante Exum...Honestly I think the Smart/Bradley combo could work thanks to Marcus being big enough to guard 2s in the league.

Smart and Bradley are the exact same height, Smart strength will give problems on the offensive side, but I dont see how it will help much defensively vs Bradley

Smart is a little longer, but really, it is all about the bulk.  Bradley can cover SGs, but his smaller frame just breaks down (IMO) when he has to cover them too much, because they just beat up on him.  I don't see that happening with Smart. 

The other (and perhaps more important) reason you want smart to cover SGs isn't because Bradley can't, it is because Bradley is SO good at covering PGs, that you just lose a lot of what Bradley brings to the table when you take him off the ball.  Bradley may not be the best defender in the NBA, but I think he has a strong case as the best ball pressure guy in the league, so you want to take advantage of that by pairing him with a guy who can handle the ball and cover SG, which Smart, in theory, can do.

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2014, 10:19:10 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
looks like pretty basic stuff