Author Topic: ESPN: Babb ranked 2nd worst player in NBA  (Read 5420 times)

Re: ESPN: Babb ranked 2nd worst player in NBA
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 06:57:13 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Saddest results on this list:

480: Greg Oden
460: Andrew Bynum

It's so disappointing to see two players with so much promise end up at this point.  Both sad results, but for different reasons.

Oden's case is just purely unfortunate.  He well and truly could have been a top 5 center in this league had he been even remotely healthy, and that's a big deal in a league so lacking in pure centers.  Instead, injuries have made him one of the most incapable players in the league.   It's sad because everything I've seen indicates that he's a pretty good guy who really wanted to be good, but just never had the chance.

Bynum is a whole other story.  Another player who could have been a top tier (top 2 even) center in the NBA, career ruined mostly by his horrible attitude.  Yes he has injury issues, but poor decisions have led to him re-aggravating injuries that he otherwise may well have recovered from, and his horrible personality and Basketball IQ mean that even if he did stay healthy, he still probably would have struggled to find a long term spot on a team.

Same deal with guys like Penny Hardaway and Brandon Roy - both good guys with elite talent who could have had hall of fame careers, but all cut short by unfortunate injuries.

So sad.
They laughed at me in my keeper league when I traded Bynum straight up for Jonas Valanciunus  a year before Jonas came to the league.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:52:30 PM by eja117 »

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2014, 08:06:36 PM »

Offline gar

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 247
  • Strength from Within
Vitor mov'in on up to #388.

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2014, 08:10:09 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
To rank these players, ESPN uses a super-scientific method that yields incredibly meaningful and accurate results:

How did we rank the players?

We asked our ESPN Forecast panel to rate each player on a 0-to-10 scale, in terms of "the overall level of play for each player for the upcoming NBA season."
Holy crap, I never knew that.  That's a joke.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 08:10:41 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

It's so disappointing to see two players with so much promise end up at this point.  Both sad results, but for different reasons.

Oden's case is just purely unfortunate.  He well and truly could have been a top 5 center in this league had he been even remotely healthy, and that's a big deal in a league so lacking in pure centers.  Instead, injuries have made him one of the most incapable players in the league.   It's sad because everything I've seen indicates that he's a pretty good guy who really wanted to be good, but just never had the chance.

Bynum is a whole other story.  Another player who could have been a top tier (top 2 even) center in the NBA, career ruined mostly by his horrible attitude.  Yes he has injury issues, but poor decisions have led to him re-aggravating injuries that he otherwise may well have recovered from, and his horrible personality and Basketball IQ mean that even if he did stay healthy, he still probably would have struggled to find a long term spot on a team.

Same deal with guys like Penny Hardaway and Brandon Roy - both good guys with elite talent who could have had hall of fame careers, but all cut short by unfortunate injuries.

So sad.
They laughed at me in my keeper league when I traded Bynum straight up for Jonas Valanciunus in my keeper league a year before Jonas came to the league.
Nice move!
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 10:01:16 PM »

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25
Joel Anthony way to low at 405, should be more like 450.

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 10:40:04 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
sigh. a thread to debate whether babb is, or is not, the second crappiest player in the nba?

thank god training camp is less than 2 weeks away.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 11:27:52 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
To rank these players, ESPN uses a super-scientific method that yields incredibly meaningful and accurate results:

How did we rank the players?

We asked our ESPN Forecast panel to rate each player on a 0-to-10 scale, in terms of "the overall level of play for each player for the upcoming NBA season."
Holy crap, I never knew that.  That's a joke.

Lackluster content From ESPN?!  :o
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2014, 12:24:41 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

So sad.
I always liked Oden but the argument could be made at this point in time that Bynum isn't a worse person than Oden.

« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2014, 12:28:25 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

So sad.
I always liked Oden but the argument could be made at this point in time that Bynum isn't a worse person than Oden.

Agreed, but I think "good guy" in this sense refers to how he is in the locker room and with a team. I will say that, relative to his peers, Andrew Bynum never seemed like basketball was the most important thing to him.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2014, 12:34:30 AM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
I don't know. I think Cameron Bairstow might be worse

You'll be eating those words.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2014, 10:04:18 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
If he could stick the 3 pointer like he did in a couple Summer League games last year he'd be playing regularly.