Poll

In Rondo's contract year, he will average 20/10/5, increasing his scoring by getting the ball back in the Motion Offense with the aid of the willing and capable passers at the other spots, team is unstoppable.(never mind the defense...)

True
False
OP should probably take a mild sedative when the season rolls around...

Author Topic: The passing/playmaking crew of RR/MS/KO/JS, get RR 20ppg  (Read 5101 times)

The passing/playmaking crew of RR/MS/KO/JS, get RR 20ppg
« on: September 16, 2014, 12:21:55 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I c an see this happening.

Rondo will get the ball back in this group of willing passers, and he'll look to score more in this sort of scenario, vs. the more basic drive, s/r, etc., and given the contract situation and The Man-ness M F a holiness-ness killer in him will have some 40 point games and average 20 in the end.

And it would certainly clear up a lot of questions of debate at present if it starts to look like this early.

Re: The passing/playmaking crew of RR/MS/KO/JS, get RR 20ppg
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 01:31:03 AM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
I hope so. I will be wearing my extra thick green googles once the season starts.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 06:38:13 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I can see maybe a couple more points per game but that high since I expect more scoring from Sully and KO.  I'm thinking a balanced attack with hopefully Green, Bradley, Rondo, Sully, and KO all within a couple points of 15 PPG.  Throw in Smart, Thornton, Turner, Bass, and Zeller scoring as well it's hard for me to see any one player pushing much beyond 15 PPG.

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2014, 07:09:56 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
I can see maybe a couple more points per game but that high since I expect more scoring from Sully and KO.  I'm thinking a balanced attack with hopefully Green, Bradley, Rondo, Sully, and KO all within a couple points of 15 PPG.  Throw in Smart, Thornton, Turner, Bass, and Zeller scoring as well it's hard for me to see any one player pushing much beyond 15 PPG.

Good point.  Only so many possessions, what with the time clock and the one-ball thing.

I can definitely see Rondo looking to score, and getting a few more points above his average just on that alone, e.g. taking those uncontested layups and all that. 

Then, I can see the ball whipping around the horn, with Rondo getting it back later in the clock with the defense having been broken down with the pass, and rondo getting a couple more points that way, sometimes a lot more.

Maybe that pushes him closer to 20, and he'll surely have his nights, but it would be tough to average that while still getting his average of 10+ assists, which he no doubt will try very hard not to have that slide.

But jeez, the poll?  Really guys?

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2014, 09:20:05 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I want to see Rondo get 20/10/5 but that is not happening. I do not think Rondo ever averaged 20 ppg in the regular season NOR the playoffs. Though I do think his assist and rebounding will be 10/5 give or take

I think Rondo will get something between 16-18 ppg 11 ast and 5-6 rpg. Rondo will be Rondo regardless, I don't think he will magically be a superstar playing for a contract. He will be Rondo of always, always competing and dishing, rebounding and scoring only if he has to.

I am however, excited to see Smart, I have so much expectations for him.

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2014, 09:28:43 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Rondo has never even scored 14ppg... so no, he wont average 20.. and I hope he doesn't.

Would much rather see Avery/Green/Sully average 20

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 11:24:59 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
The problem with this premise is that Rondo has never had the Usage% to suggest that he would ever be a 20 point scorer.  He just doesn't shoot it enough to become a different player at this point in his career. 

Rondo is a facilitator.  He will take his opportunities to score when they are there but he looks to make sure that the rest of the team is scoring first.  And that's just fine with me.  As long as we end up with more points at the end of the night than the other team, it doesn't matter how we got there.

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 03:24:42 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
didn't want to quote to many people here but in agreement with more than a few
rondo first and foremost will look to get guys shots in their sweet spots or find mismatches
he will make everyone better, I'd assume with good ball movement (please!) that he will get more open looks and lanes, that said i can see his scoring go up a bit but not 20ppg
I think you could see a drop in rondos rebounding if our team rebounding improves and we run (like this team should).  Granted rondo has always rebounded at crazy levels for a 6'1" point guard but I'd rather see zeller, ko, sully, bass etc getting rebounds and fast outlets ala bill walton or kevin love to rondo with bradley, green, smart, wallace etc filling lanes.  bring back tommy ball! 
I'd think green will be closer to 20 ppg.  KO is the guy that interests me, with additional playing time his all around offensive game could get him 10 ppg and 8 rbs (not starting).  I would still like to see bass and package moved for an upgrade.  Nothing against bass who was very steady

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 06:46:53 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Rondo needs shooters to get those assists.  KO is the best shooter out of that crop, the rest of them didn't shoot so hot.   If Sully plays to his strengths and down low he could shoot well.  MS at this point is not a good shooter.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:35:07 PM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 02:51:09 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
To be honest, I think there is close to zero chance of Rondo ever averaging 20 PPG.

Why?

Rondo's problem is that his offensive versatility (from a scoring perspective) is very limited.

His effective options are basically either:
a) Drive to the basket for a floater / layup
b) Pull up mid-range jumper

Option 'a' is not usually effective unless you're playing a team that lacks rim protection, and option 'b' is officially the most inefficient shot in the game.

He can get points via these shots, but it's not sustainable.  Not to the point where he can score at will and be a nightly 20 PPG threat. 

I think as a scorer, Rondo's ceiling tops out at maybe 15 - 17 PPG. Realistically, he'll probably be more around the 13-15 PPG mark, around the upper level of where he's been in past seasons.

I understand the rationale that now the big 3 are gone and so Rondo has more pressure on him to score, but at the same time you need to consider the fact that:

* Ray Allen left the team a couple of years ago
* KG was not the same player offensively his last two seasons in Boston
* Pierce was nice the same player offensive in his last season in Boston

In their past couple of years together, the Celtics team was one of the worst in the entire league in terms of offensive production.  It's not like they were a team full of high volume scorers, and so they never needed Rondo's production on that end of the floor.  They badly needed scoring from anybody and everybody, but Rondo never really managed to average more than around 14 PPG on a consistent basis.

Another thing people will say is that now our team is full of skilled passers, so Rondo can get more quality looks. Again, I question whether the duo of Sully and KO are more skilled passers then Pierce and KG?  I would suggest not. 

I think Boston is very much looking like a San Antonio type team - a team that won't have anybody scoring over about 17 PPG, but everybody on the court will be a threat. 

Ironically, I actually think Olynyk, Smart and Young are the only guy on this team who have the potential to one day be a 20 PPG scorer.  Maybe Evan Turner.  I don't think anybody else on this team (not Rondo, not Green, not Bradley, not Sully) has that potential.   

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 09:22:36 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The problem with this premise is that Rondo has never had the Usage% to suggest that he would ever be a 20 point scorer.  He just doesn't shoot it enough to become a different player at this point in his career. 

Rondo is a facilitator.  He will take his opportunities to score when they are there but he looks to make sure that the rest of the team is scoring first.  And that's just fine with me.  As long as we end up with more points at the end of the night than the other team, it doesn't matter how we got there.
This.

Rondo's probably going to score 14-15 points per game with 12-14 assists per game.  I think the key is having players that can score after a pass.  Green, AB, KO, Sully and Zeller should help in that regard if they're more aggressive in shooting after a pass.  Thornton and Turner could adapt very well to playing with a passer like Rondo.  I think we'll see a better offense for the first 3 - 3.5 quarters of the games this year.  We're still going to have a helluva time trying to score down the stretch of close games though.

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2014, 10:36:14 AM »

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
0% chance Rondo averages 20 per game.  Zero chance he leads the team in scoring either. 

Best Case scenario is Rondo takes the bull by the horns and leads this young team to a surprise playoff run and gets back to being the leagues assist leader. 

Best Case averages for Rondo:  13.2ppg 11.7apg 5.2 rpg 1.35spg

Worst case scenario is the Celtics falter, Rondo gets frustrated and eventually traded as the Celtics fall to the bottom of the East Standings.

Worst Case Averages for Rondo:   14.8 ppg 9.5 apg 5apg  on crappy shooting splits

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2014, 10:39:10 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
0% chance Rondo averages 20 per game.  Zero chance he leads the team in scoring either. 

Best Case scenario is Rondo takes the bull by the horns and leads this young team to a surprise playoff run and gets back to being the leagues assist leader. 

Worst case scenario is the Celtics falter, Rondo gets frustrated and eventually traded as the Celtics fall to the bottom of the East Standings.

Worst Case Averages for Rondo:   14.8 ppg 9.5 apg 5apg  on crappy shooting splits

best case scenario for Rondo is 16 ppg, 12 apg, 5 rpg

fully healthy and ready to lead the c's to 7th or 8th spot in the east.

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2014, 10:56:21 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

have to agree that's a more likely best case scenario.

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 12:10:57 PM »

Offline RRNoLookPass

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15

have to agree that's a more likely best case scenario.

Agreed. Not to mention the fact that 1.35spg would hardly be a best case scenario for Rondo, as that number would be right around his career low for steals.