Author Topic: Are you smarter than Danny Ainge? 2014 NBA Draft Edition  (Read 16363 times)

Re: Are you smarter than Danny Ainge? 2014 NBA Draft Edition
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2014, 04:46:26 PM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Rodney Hood is a real trickey pick. If he would've ended up anywhere but Utah (including here) I would be more excited. Of all the 3's outside of Jabari Parker, I think he was the most ready for both sides of the ball in the NBA. His basement is rotation player long-term. His ceiling is..my gut says 'Decent starter'. Kind of a 'you got what you got' kinda guy.
which was my primary reason for going with him over Young and some others.  Hood can play on both sides of the ball and is more of a sure-thing at that stage than Young. I still see Young as a gamble -- hopefully a pleasant surprise -- but still a gamble he becomes anything useful.

But I think that was the whole point.  Since we had two first round picks, why not take more of a gamble with one of them.  Smart was I pretty safe pick so I like the strategy of going with the risky upside guy with the second pick.  We are going to need to get really lucky in the draft along the way in order to get anywhere.
this time around, in a draft this deep and with their second pick only as far back as #17, I disagree that the point should have been to take a risk when there were arguably less-risky players still on the board in Hood and Harris.  Hairston too for that matter.   

I'm not against Young since we're still 2-3 years from when we'll be in a position to count on him to deliver but I really think Hood will get to the same level Young hopes to reach but years sooner.  I still can't believe Danny passed on both Hood and Harris for Young but if Young fills out a bit he could very well be our starting SF after we jettison Green, Wallace and Turner.
I'm all for James Young. Kentucky would have almost definitely won the National Championship had Willie Cauly Stein been playing and James was a huge player for them. Personally, I believe James Young is a better prospect than Michael Kidd Gilchrest who was picked 2nd overall in 2012, some may say winning the championship played a minor role in his selection. Well, James was on an absolute stacked team and managed to put up 15ppg.
Anyways, James was the 2nd youngest kid drafted and will undoubtedly grow in many ways over the next year. I am really looking forward to him playing, hopefully he will be playing shooting guard though because it would suit him and the team better...imo

« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2014, 05:41:08 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Marcus Smart, James Young

Sorry to sound like a sycophant, but I think that Danny drafted the best player on the board with each pick.

Would a sycophant have lauded David as 'Just another statue?' Would a sycophant have said 'The Blueprint Vol II' was 'just another rap album'? No sir, you are an admirer of genius, nothing wrong with that.

Well maybe not.  But a sycophant would definitely give you a Tommy Point for your answer. 

« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2014, 06:19:47 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
6th Marcus Smart

17th James Young

Undedrafted Melvin Ejim (he had a pretty impressive senior season just a bit too short for the NBA though)

Don't really think there would be a better outcome than our picks although I did believe that we should take Giannis Antetokumpo and if not Rudy Gobert with the 16th pick the year before. I'd say the Jury's still out on both of them as to whether they will finish better than KO.

« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2014, 06:40:42 PM »

• Ray Allen
6th Marcus Smart

17th James Young

Undedrafted Melvin Ejim (he had a pretty impressive senior season just a bit too short for the NBA though)

Don't really think there would be a better outcome than our picks although I did believe that we should take Giannis Antetokumpo and if not Rudy Gobert with the 16th pick the year before. I'd say the Jury's still out on both of them as to whether they will finish better than KO.
TP. Us Rudy Gobert fans have to stick together!

« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2014, 09:02:18 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
6th Marcus Smart

17th James Young

TP. Us Rudy Gobert fans have to stick together!

Back at ya. The struggle is real, someday the world will know the truth!

« Reply #80 on: September 18, 2014, 09:34:44 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
6: Marcus Smart
17: Kyle Anderson
Undrafted: P Young (though I don't think we really need any pick-ups)

Sorry for the late response.

« Reply #81 on: September 18, 2014, 09:34:51 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Rodney Hood is a real trickey pick. If he would've ended up anywhere but Utah (including here) I would be more excited. Of all the 3's outside of Jabari Parker, I think he was the most ready for both sides of the ball in the NBA. His basement is rotation player long-term. His ceiling is..my gut says 'Decent starter'. Kind of a 'you got what you got' kinda guy.
which was my primary reason for going with him over Young and some others.  Hood can play on both sides of the ball and is more of a sure-thing at that stage than Young. I still see Young as a gamble -- hopefully a pleasant surprise -- but still a gamble he becomes anything useful.

But I think that was the whole point.  Since we had two first round picks, why not take more of a gamble with one of them.  Smart was I pretty safe pick so I like the strategy of going with the risky upside guy with the second pick.  We are going to need to get really lucky in the draft along the way in order to get anywhere.
this time around, in a draft this deep and with their second pick only as far back as #17, I disagree that the point should have been to take a risk when there were arguably less-risky players still on the board in Hood and Harris.  Hairston too for that matter.   

I'm not against Young since we're still 2-3 years from when we'll be in a position to count on him to deliver but I really think Hood will get to the same level Young hopes to reach but years sooner.  I still can't believe Danny passed on both Hood and Harris for Young but if Young fills out a bit he could very well be our starting SF after we jettison Green, Wallace and Turner.
I'm all for James Young. Kentucky would have almost definitely won the National Championship had Willie Cauly Stein been playing and James was a huge player for them. Personally, I believe James Young is a better prospect than Michael Kidd Gilchrest who was picked 2nd overall in 2012, some may say winning the championship played a minor role in his selection. Well, James was on an absolute stacked team and managed to put up 15ppg.
Anyways, James was the 2nd youngest kid drafted and will undoubtedly grow in many ways over the next year. I am really looking forward to him playing, hopefully he will be playing shooting guard though because it would suit him and the team better...imo
Young very well may get to be good player and I hope he does but if it was me selecting, I'd have taken Hood based on my reasoning that in the best case scenario for each, they'd develop to about the same level of talent with the difference that Hood has a better chance to reach that level and also had a higher floor than Young in terms of being a risk.

« Reply #82 on: September 18, 2014, 10:20:44 AM »

• Ray Allen

Young very well may get to be good player and I hope he does but if it was me selecting, I'd have taken Hood based on my reasoning that in the best case scenario for each, they'd develop to about the same level of talent with the difference that Hood has a better chance to reach that level and also had a higher floor than Young in terms of being a risk.

Well I can fully understand your reasoning, but Hood also turns 22 in a month and James Young just turned 19. I really wish James could have played SL because many would have seen that he's just not a shooter, he can do many things.
Also James will almost def be playing shooting guard, regardless of what Danny or Brad have said to this point. James height wise is right on par or taller than most 2's, but length wise he is as long as a power forward! This will help him on defense guarding 2's.

« Reply #83 on: September 18, 2014, 11:05:44 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Well I can fully understand your reasoning, but Hood also turns 22 in a month and James Young just turned 19. I really wish James could have played SL because many would have seen that he's just not a shooter, he can do many things.
Also James will almost def be playing shooting guard, regardless of what Danny or Brad have said to this point. James height wise is right on par or taller than most 2's, but length wise he is as long as a power forward! This will help him on defense guarding 2's.
agree on wanting Young to play in SL.  would have been good to see where he is in his development.

He may be a SG.  I think he winds up as a SF or at least a swingman between the 2 spots.  Ideally, he becomes Green's replacement putting up similar numbers within 3 years but with more consistency.  bottom line is I just hope he becomes a productive rotation player for us that doesn't leave us cringing when he comes into the game.