Author Topic: Are you smarter than Danny Ainge? 2014 NBA Draft Edition  (Read 16389 times)

Re: Are you smarter than Danny Ainge? 2014 NBA Draft Edition
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2014, 09:48:31 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Rodney Hood is a real trickey pick. If he would've ended up anywhere but Utah (including here) I would be more excited. Of all the 3's outside of Jabari Parker, I think he was the most ready for both sides of the ball in the NBA. His basement is rotation player long-term. His ceiling is..my gut says 'Decent starter'. Kind of a 'you got what you got' kinda guy.
which was my primary reason for going with him over Young and some others.  Hood can play on both sides of the ball and is more of a sure-thing at that stage than Young.  I still see Young as a gamble -- hopefully a pleasant surprise -- but still a gamble he becomes anything useful.

« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2014, 10:17:28 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Would've been close between Smart, Randle and McDermott but I probably would've also chosen Smart at 6.

For no 17, either Gary Harris or Rodney Hood.

So which, Gary Harris or Rodney Hood?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2014, 10:25:41 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Would've been close between Smart, Randle and McDermott but I probably would've also chosen Smart at 6.

For no 17, either Gary Harris or Rodney Hood.

So which, Gary Harris or Rodney Hood?

Hmmm....Gary Harris.

« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2014, 11:07:48 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Great thread, IP.

I'll go with Smart, Hairston, and myself.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2014, 11:11:37 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
If I remember correctly, I was between Young, Harris, and Hairston at that time.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2014, 11:25:18 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I would have drafted smart and traded #17 to the Knicks for floor seats at MSG in perpetuity.

The twist is that I don't even live in New York. I just want them.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2014, 11:41:54 AM »

Offline drogbagarnett

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
6th pick -    Marcus Smart
17th pick -  James Young
Undrafted - Jordan Bachynski

« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2014, 11:42:44 AM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
i like our picks smart&young

« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2014, 12:42:44 PM »

Offline 33-00-32

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 2746
  • 2012 PAPTBG & 2013 PAPOUG CHAMPION
I hated (still do) the Smart pick. I would have loved to land Nik Stauskas and think he would fit real nicely next to Rondo and handled the ball with Avery on and Rondo off. Smooth operator.

For #17 it was a tossup for me between Young and Hood but I think I would have chosen Hood if I landed Stauskas as my first pick.

I would have taken a chance on Jordan Bachynski as an undrafted FA.
G:Kemba,Payton,Hairston,Henderson,Lin
F:Parker,MKG,Budinger,Mirotic,Salmons
C:R.Lopez,Biyombo,Hickson
Coach: Shaka Smart
Rights to: Bog Bog

« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2014, 12:56:29 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
I would have drafted smart and traded #17 to the Knicks for floor seats at MSG in perpetuity.

The twist is that I don't even live in New York. I just want them.

Good trade!  Given your residency issues though, I'd probably also hold out for a condo.

« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2014, 02:05:01 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Rodney Hood is a real trickey pick. If he would've ended up anywhere but Utah (including here) I would be more excited. Of all the 3's outside of Jabari Parker, I think he was the most ready for both sides of the ball in the NBA. His basement is rotation player long-term. His ceiling is..my gut says 'Decent starter'. Kind of a 'you got what you got' kinda guy.
which was my primary reason for going with him over Young and some others.  Hood can play on both sides of the ball and is more of a sure-thing at that stage than Young. I still see Young as a gamble -- hopefully a pleasant surprise -- but still a gamble he becomes anything useful.

But I think that was the whole point.  Since we had two first round picks, why not take more of a gamble with one of them.  Smart was I pretty safe pick so I like the strategy of going with the risky upside guy with the second pick.  We are going to need to get really lucky in the draft along the way in order to get anywhere.

« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2014, 02:13:03 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
I think Danny got it right.  So:

1. Smart, Young
2. Smart, Hood
3. Randle, Young or Hood
4. Randle, Ennis (kind of a hindsight deal since there was no way to know Ennis would be there.)

Scared of how good Payton or Stauskas might be, loved them both.  Thrilled to have Smart.

« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2014, 02:40:43 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
which was my primary reason for going with him over Young and some others.  Hood can play on both sides of the ball and is more of a sure-thing at that stage than Young. I still see Young as a gamble -- hopefully a pleasant surprise -- but still a gamble he becomes anything useful.

But I think that was the whole point.  Since we had two first round picks, why not take more of a gamble with one of them.  Smart was I pretty safe pick so I like the strategy of going with the risky upside guy with the second pick.  We are going to need to get really lucky in the draft along the way in order to get anywhere.
this time around, in a draft this deep and with their second pick only as far back as #17, I disagree that the point should have been to take a risk when there were arguably less-risky players still on the board in Hood and Harris.  Hairston too for that matter.   

I'm not against Young since we're still 2-3 years from when we'll be in a position to count on him to deliver but I really think Hood will get to the same level Young hopes to reach but years sooner.  I still can't believe Danny passed on both Hood and Harris for Young but if Young fills out a bit he could very well be our starting SF after we jettison Green, Wallace and Turner.

« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2014, 03:14:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Both smart and smart will end up being nice picks. Smart pick was obvious and young pick is all about pure potential. He is a guy who could go in the top 10 in the 2015 draft.

Instead of young i would of been happy with mcgary , capela. I got a feeling danny would of snatched up nurkic if he was still available at 17

« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2014, 03:19:15 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Both smart and smart will end up being nice picks. Smart pick was obvious and young pick is all about pure potential. He is a guy who could go in the top 10 in the 2015 draft.

Instead of young i would of been happy with mcgary , capela. I got a feeling danny would of snatched up nurkic if he was still available at 17

So you're saying Smart and Young are your choices?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner