Author Topic: What if Rondo completely reestablishes his value?  (Read 10513 times)

What if Rondo completely reestablishes his value?
« on: September 15, 2014, 12:40:56 PM »

Offline diconzo

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 85
Has anyone thought about this? What if Rondo goes back to being undoubtedly a top tier point guard?

Would more suitors open up? Teams like Phoenix, New Orleans, and other teams that have GOOD but not perennial All-Star PG's?

Would you be more inclined to keep him and give him his max?

This season is definitely going to be exciting. Unlike last year where we knew it wasn't going to be fun the whole year (Not saying playoffs but it won't be a dull year)

Re: What if Rondo completely reestablishes his value?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 12:54:36 PM »

Offline St.Steven

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
Given his history with the C's, "a**hole" (read: true competitor) mentality, and considerable pure point guard skills, I'd love to see Rondo back in Green if he can get all of his explosiveness back and/or build on the jump shot development we've seen from him in recent years. If those things can happen, I think he'd be deserving of a max contract from us, although it would obviously help things if we could eventually figure out how to get him the help he needs to go deep into the playoffs (ie elite offensive help/rim protecting center).

Out of curiosity, what sort of stats would you need to see from Rondo for you to consider him to have re-established his value?

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 12:59:54 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I wouldn't give him the largest possible deal that the Celtics could, no.

edit: That said, my preference has always been towards keeping him.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 01:10:07 PM by D.o.s. »
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 01:56:58 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
keep him.  if he plays at that level he's the caliber of player we're trying to have on the team.  be foolish to have a player at that level and send him out for lesser-players

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 02:10:56 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
keep him.  if he plays at that level he's the caliber of player we're trying to have on the team.  be foolish to have a player at that level and send him out for lesser-players

Yeah, I (and many others) have always agreed that we should keep him for the long haul, unless we were able to trade him for a top tier young center (Cousins, Drummond, Davis - yeah, right). Other than that, I don't really desire more decent players. Consolidation is the key.

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 02:13:24 PM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
If Rondo is Elite we do whatever we have to do to keep him. If Green turns elite we keep him. Shoot! If Faverani turns elite we max him out!!.. theres no reason 2 pass on anyone elite unles sthere beating their wife at this point

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 02:30:59 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Well even if he gets elite he's 29 and we can't just max him out IMO, he's to old he came out of college too late for his deals to line up with primes.

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 02:37:51 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
If Rondo gets back to 2012 levels, everyone will be happier. ROndo will get paid, the Celtics will either have a top-10 PG or they will get back assets like they just traded one, and Rondo won't ahve to deal will as many asinine questions from reporters.

Win-win-win.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 02:43:51 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
If Rondo gets back to 2012 levels, everyone will be happier. ROndo will get paid, the Celtics will either have a top-10 PG or they will get back assets like they just traded one, and Rondo won't ahve to deal will as many asinine questions from reporters.

Win-win-win.

Never underestimate the staying power of asinine questions.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 03:16:18 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I don't think his value is low because of his injury.  I think it's just that there has always been a belief around the league that he was the beneficiary of great players, a great system, and a great coach.  Now that he's leading a bunch of bums to a bottom 5 record, he's basically been exposed for what a lot of people thought he always was... a really good PG with major flaws.  I doubt he makes another all-star team. 

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 03:21:00 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
KEEP HIM!!!
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 03:24:03 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
Even at his peak I was never convinced Rondo was worth 20/year. I suppose I'd be willing to sign him to like a 13-14-15-16-17 extension but he'd never do that for a rebuilding team. I'm not sure where that leaves things. This is the CBA situation in the NBA today, you can't extend your stars anymore and there's always going to be a desperate team with cap space willing to overpay. You either need a star willing to stay for less or you match the overpay. Since the Celtics are rebuilding and Rondo is their only star, they don't have a great argument for not giving him the supermax. And this offseason the Knicks happen to have a lot of money coming off and they are the definition of "desperate," plus it's the ultimate big market team which would help with Rondo's endorsements (think he's happy being signed to the Chinese brand Anta?).

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 03:39:02 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
I don't think his value is low because of his injury.  I think it's just that there has always been a belief around the league that he was the beneficiary of great players, a great system, and a great coach.  Now that he's leading a bunch of bums to a bottom 5 record, he's basically been exposed for what a lot of people thought he always was... a really good PG with major flaws.  I doubt he makes another all-star team.

I just don't understand this belief. First, I don't believe All-Star Rondo was completely a product of his environment. His great performances were too dominant. He wasn't just knocking down open shots or anything. And as far as last year, we weren't expecting 100% Rondo, right? He'll definitely be much better than last year. I just don't see how a recovering from a torn ACL player is "exposed" as not being that good. Unless you think the injury has a permanent effect on his game. But that's not been our experience with that particular injury.

If Rondo really was a product of the great players around him, it will be this year, not last, that we will find out.

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 03:40:42 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
Even at his peak I was never convinced Rondo was worth 20/year. I suppose I'd be willing to sign him to like a 13-14-15-16-17 extension but he'd never do that for a rebuilding team. I'm not sure where that leaves things. This is the CBA situation in the NBA today, you can't extend your stars anymore and there's always going to be a desperate team with cap space willing to overpay. You either need a star willing to stay for less or you match the overpay. Since the Celtics are rebuilding and Rondo is their only star, they don't have a great argument for not giving him the supermax. And this offseason the Knicks happen to have a lot of money coming off and they are the definition of "desperate," plus it's the ultimate big market team which would help with Rondo's endorsements (think he's happy being signed to the Chinese brand Anta?).

The only way I want to pay Rondo near 20 mil/yr is if the salary cap is definitely going up by around 16 mil. Then I'd be ok with it.

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 03:43:43 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
If Rondo compleltely reestablished his value, we'll all be mourning becausse we traded him for Ben McLemore and now-mediocre 1st round picks, or something like that.  ??? ::)