Author Topic: would anyone do this 3 team trade?  (Read 2044 times)

would anyone do this 3 team trade?
« on: September 15, 2014, 12:40:26 PM »

Offline Deezzyy

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
Boston Out: Rondo Green Thornton Bogans Zeller Olynyk 2nd round pick clippers 15
Boston in: Hibbert Millsap Korver Scola

Atlanta out: Korver Millsap
Atlanta in: Bogans Green Olynyk celts 2nd round clips 15

Indiana out: Hibbert Scola
Indiana In: Rondo Thornton Zeller

Celtics rotation:
Smart/Pressey
Bradley/korver/young
Turner/johnson/Wallace
Millsap/sully
Hibbert/Faverani/Anthony

Re: would anyone do this 3 team trade?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 12:42:25 PM »

Offline Deezzyy

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 5
Bass also in at the power forward*

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 01:00:27 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I think Atlanta says no

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 01:01:16 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think Atlanta says no

That's what I think, too.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 02:02:02 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33
I think Atlanta says no

You only think Atlanta says no?  I would 100% no doubt without questions say they would say no.  They just signed Milsap last year and he was an All Star.  Atlanta has trouble signing quality players and you don't trade one for that package..

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 02:45:37 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
Boston Out: Rondo Green Thornton Bogans Zeller Olynyk 2nd round pick clippers 15
Boston in: Hibbert Millsap Korver Scola

Atlanta out: Korver Millsap
Atlanta in: Bogans Green Olynyk celts 2nd round clips 15

Indiana out: Hibbert Scola
Indiana In: Rondo Thornton Zeller

Celtics rotation:
Smart/Pressey
Bradley/korver/young
Turner/johnson/Wallace
Millsap/sully
Hibbert/Faverani/Anthony
I too think that Atlanta would object but it's not as lopsided as most people think because Millsap is an expiring contract and could go anywhere next year. Korver is also 33 and signed for three years so he will be 36 at the end of his contract. Do we really want someone that old or I guess we could probably move him to a contender at the trade deadline for an expiring contract. Atlanta already drafted a stretch 4 in Payne, do they really need another in Olynyk? My guess is that to entice Atlanta, at a minimum you would have to substitute Sullinger for Olynyk and add another 1st round pick. Even with that, Atlanta still might say no. If they do say no, are you willing to add Young to the package? Interesting trade idea. Couldn't we just do the Boston-Indiana trade?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 02:58:44 PM by Irish Stew »

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 06:04:17 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
It doesn't matter that Millsap has an expiring deal. I don't see them trading him for a big bag of low value items. They are better off trying to re-sign him.

Also, would that put us in luxury tax range? If so, it would be a tough one. Hibbert, Smart and Bradley would bring some excellent defense. I still don't see that as a winning team.

We also have contract issues. Milsap is a FA after this year. Hibbert has a player option after this year. If he has a bad year, he stays and we overpay. Otherwise, he could easily decide to split since he probably won't feel any loyalty to us after a season of mediocrity.

I'm not sure we pay luxury tax for that. I haven't done the math though on this trade idea.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 06:42:12 PM by guava_wrench »

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 06:53:29 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
Given Hibbert's questionable ... psyche as exhibited with his complete competitive collapse in the last few months of last season and his only (too late) mini resurgence in the playoffs due to (apparently) being talked up by Paul George ...

I don't know if it makes sense to acquire a guy like that while sending _away_ one of his best buds, in Jeff Green or the veteran leader in Rondo.

The resulting lineup leaves Boston seriously degraded in talent at SF and PG (unless Smart immediately blossoms, skipping the usual 2+ years that most players take) and probably most important: 3PT shooting (because Green, Olynyk and Thornton are 3/4 of Boston's few legit 3PT threats) for one year of control of Hibbert.  That trade leaves only Bradley and the one-dimensional Korver as decent, proven 3PT shooters.   That team will be awful.  So when the team struggles into the lottery, do you think he re-ups?

I don't think Boston says yes to that deal.

The deal results in Atlanta taking a hit in front court talent (Milsap) while shoring up SF somewhat, but Olynyk's value to them is questionable since they have Noguiera stashed from that same draft as Olynyk (taken with the very pick we traded away) and Adrian Payne whom they just picked in this last draft.  While I like Green and Olynyk both a lot as players, I don't think this trade makes Atlanta a better team.   So I think they say, "No" as well.

Finally, for the Pacers, while they have always coveted Rondo -- this does nothing to help them with their gaping near-term problem at SF, given Paul George's injury.   I suppose for them it's a risk mitigation/dumping of Hibbert.  But if we look at it that way, why do we then want Hibbert?   And if they are dumping Hibbert are they tanking?  Then why do they want Rondo for a year?

The whole deal just sort doesn't feel right when you look at the resulting 'mix' for each team.

Green and Hibbert have the same agent, David Falk.  And Falk talks a lot about the importance of loyalty and trying to set his players up for success.   I don't think he'd be in favor of this particular deck rearrangement.  He also reps two other Celtics (Sullinger and Turner) and Danny thus has to work with him a lot down the road.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 09:10:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
ATL hangs up on this one.