Author Topic: Strong words from Woj on Coach K and Team U.S.A.  (Read 16355 times)

Re: Strong words from Woj on Coach K and Team U.S.A.
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2014, 11:41:53 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Paul George's injury was a freak accident, so that changes nothing.

And yes, players opted not to play basketball.  Which is exactly my point: THEY - not the owners - should dictate if they play basketball in the summer.  So... thanks for agreeing?

« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2014, 11:52:30 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Yeah and so was Roethlisberger's motorcycle accident.

I love how pointing out that players refuse over the exact same principle is agreeing with you.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2014, 12:14:11 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
I wasn't aware Roethlisberger was on the field playing football when he got into a motorcycle accident, my bad.

You'll notice that those guys who declined to play for Team USA also haven't done any pro am stuff this summer.  Because they - again, not the owners - chose to forgo the chance of getting injured.  Which means you skip both international league play AND pickup games.

« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2014, 01:10:47 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Yeah and so was Roethlisberger's motorcycle accident.

I love how pointing out that players refuse over the exact same principle is agreeing with you.

I can't speak for EP, but my position isn't that players should be mandated to play international ball, it's that they should be free to choose.  That's why citing that some chose not to play is consistent with that.  You seem to be arguing that they shouldn't be allowed to choose, but should be mandated not to play. 

So, using your own question, do you believe that you're smarter and more knowledgeable than the NBA players who decided representing their countries was more important and helpful to their games than any risk of fatigue or injury that might result?  Do you believe they have no clue what they're doing?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 02:37:40 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2014, 03:05:06 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
I share the same sentiments: the decision to play offseason basketball should ultimately rest with the player - so long as they're healthy. For instance, I had no issue with the Spurs barring Manu from playing in FIBA given his stress fracture. Otherwise, let these guys play if they choose to do so.

« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2014, 04:27:22 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
If I was an owner I would specifically have a contract provision barring my players from playing in competitive competitions in the off season.  I would also bar them from doing any other dangerous activity. 

If injured in such situations (because let's face they will do some of that stuff anyway), I would ensure that they are not paid at all for every game they miss, and would automatically reduce the remaining contract by 25%. 

You have to protect your investment in these situations.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2014, 04:39:52 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
If I was an owner I would specifically have a contract provision barring my players from playing in competitive competitions in the off season.  I would also bar them from doing any other dangerous activity. 

If injured in such situations (because let's face they will do some of that stuff anyway), I would ensure that they are not paid at all for every game they miss, and would automatically reduce the remaining contract by 25%. 

This is, of course, in an alternate reality where owners are allowed to put these things into their contracts with players, right?
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2014, 04:50:57 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

This is, of course, in an alternate reality where owners are allowed to put these things into their contracts with players, right?
Monta Ellis's contract could have been voided (at least in part) due to being on a moped which his deal prohibited. Vlad Rad also had a similar situation where he lied to the Lakers about how he got injured snowboarding which his contract forbade.

As for forbidding playing in international basketball the NBA has blocked owners from putting that in, as could an individual player I imagine.  Banning of pick up games and pro-ams, good luck negotiating that, banning basketball players from offseason basketball will be a tough sale.

They already have an agreement with FIBA where if they have a documented injury they can refuse a player permission to play. (Manu used this to not play in the FIBA world cup I  believe)

« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2014, 05:15:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532

Of course they can put those things in there, now some of it may be a thing the NBA has with FIBA, but the NFL and MLB have those clauses in their contracts.  You know the good old you can't ride a motorcycle clause (see Jeff Kent and Ben Roethlisberger for some examples). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2014, 05:19:39 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I should have clarified: by "these things," I meant barring NBA players from international basketball, because right now NBA owners can't do that, which is why they're all p---ed off and sending their pet reporter after the idea (and hence, this thread).
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #70 on: September 27, 2014, 08:24:54 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

« Reply #71 on: September 27, 2014, 11:39:25 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Of course they can put those things in there, now some of it may be a thing the NBA has with FIBA, but the NFL and MLB have those clauses in their contracts.  You know the good old you can't ride a motorcycle clause (see Jeff Kent and Ben Roethlisberger for some examples).

The nba has those "can't ride a motorcycle" type of clauses as well. See Jay Williams. I don't think "no basketball in the offseason" would fly and I'd guess that trying to reduce the value of a player's contract would violate the CBA.