Author Topic: Strong words from Woj on Coach K and Team U.S.A.  (Read 16470 times)

Re: Strong words from Woj on Coach K and Team U.S.A.
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 10:24:39 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
There's also the fact that the players can skip FIBA games right now -- they just can't be told to skip them by their NBA teams.  ;)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 10:31:00 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
I agree with everything in this article tho.

This tournament was a waste of time here. No one cared. The competition sucked. Spain was supposed to be scary but they were obviously overrated.

The coach K aspect is obvious. Can't blame coach k tho. He's taking advantage of the opportunity given to him. If I was a rival NCAA coach however I'd be upset.

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2014, 10:48:53 AM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
This story wouldn't even exist if Coach K doesn't do his job incredibly well.

In 06 we lost .. right? Everyone was p---ed that we lost, and we did everything we could to make sure we wouldn't lose again. And we havent, and now we are mad cause the Coach is too good?  He is somehow taking advantage of the situation?

This whole article is so bogus.

« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2014, 11:53:00 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
So the solution is to put the best young NBA players at risk before they really have a chance to prove themselves to their teams?  At least George had the comfort of knowing he already earned a max contract.  Is anybody really gonna be less upset about seeing their younger players getting injured?  How would people feel if Bradley had to play in the summer? (that dude always gets hurt)  Not to mention a lot of the younger guys are the lone bright spots on their team (such as Hayward or MCW).

I say go back to sending amateurs.  Especially now with lame pros like LeBron saying they should be getting paid. 
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2014, 12:02:46 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
So the solution is to put the best young NBA players at risk before they really have a chance to prove themselves to their teams?  At least George had the comfort of knowing he already earned a max contract.  Is anybody really gonna be less upset about seeing their younger players getting injured?  How would people feel if Bradley had to play in the summer? (that dude always gets hurt)  Not to mention a lot of the younger guys are the lone bright spots on their team (such as Hayward or MCW).

I say go back to sending amateurs.  Especially now with lame pros like LeBron saying they should be getting paid. 

Because obviously players shouldn't be able to decide whether they want to participate, and if someone's going to be injured overseas it should be someone that isn't getting paid to do it.  ::)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2014, 12:25:01 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald

Because obviously players shouldn't be able to decide whether they want to participate, and if someone's going to be injured overseas it should be someone that isn't getting paid to do it.  ::)
Please don't try and make me sound insensitive, but yeah if someone HAS to get injured I'd rather it be a person who has to miss a college season (and be able to make it up as a redshirt) than a person who has to miss an NBA season.

And why couldn't NCAA players decide whether or not they want to participate? (at least that's how I would want it implemented)  Did I say they couldn't or am I misunderstanding you?

As for getting paid for championships/Olympics, it should be about representing your country.  If LeBron got hurt, would it be any consolation to him, the Cavs owners, or especially the Cavs fans that at least he got paid?  It should ALL be about the fans, which is part of the reason I'd rather see the NCAA product take the risk than the NBA franchises (less fans have to suffer and less money lost).  Especially considering that college fans are used to their team constantly changing and seeing guys only one season before they're gone.
Philly:

« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2014, 12:43:40 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Assuming you're talking about Paul Georgian injuries, I'd rather see the guys with guaranteed contracts who already have some level of financial security miss time than college students who are subsisting on scholarships that can be rescinded at any time. Can't finish college if you can't afford it. That's what I meant by getting paid to do it. From a fan's point of view, I see where you're coming from, but with the way NCAA athletics are structured right now I can't agree.

re: the second graph, I meant NBA players should have a say in whether or not they want to participate in the Olympics and/or FIBA. By saying 'go back to amateurs' you're denying them that choice.

« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2014, 12:59:02 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Woj does the most personally degrading opinion pieces. Full of armchair psychobabble often as well. Makes me think I would really not like him in person.

As far as international tourneys go, I would expect to get an exclusive for the size of the contracts, were I an owner, and I surely wouldn't want my guys making money for other entities' sponsors.

Oh yeah, and the risk of an injury turning my (supposedly) billion dollar franchise into a $500M franchise.

« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 01:08:28 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
Well, it all started in 1988, when Sabonis and co. destroyed the Admiral and the rest of the US kids in Seoul. That opened the door to the US bringing the best team, and that changed everything.

First of all, from a sports perspective, the US obviously wanted to win and show they were the best in basketball... by far, aka the Dream Team.  Then, in 1994, Dream Team II... well, you can go to wikipedia but the US relaxed up to the point where they lost in 2002 and 2004, so they committed to win again. Looking at that, it can go back an forth, the US will have the best talents but if they don't put the best team they can be challenged.

But the big thing isn't about sports. When the Dream Team showed up, it made NBA's business even bigger, it became global. That's why they won't go back to college kids. The under 23 rule for the US might be interesting for competitive purposes, but for every terrible injury like PG's, there are million$ or rea$on$ for the NBA to bring their players to FIBA competitions. Adam Silver had a role in the trophies ceremony, so you can bet the FIBA-NBA business will have a loooong story to go.

« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2014, 01:31:08 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
Assuming you're talking about Paul Georgian injuries, I'd rather see the guys with guaranteed contracts who already have some level of financial security miss time than college students who are subsisting on scholarships that can be rescinded at any time. Can't finish college if you can't afford it. That's what I meant by getting paid to do it. From a fan's point of view, I see where you're coming from, but with the way NCAA athletics are structured right now I can't agree.

re: the second graph, I meant NBA players should have a say in whether or not they want to participate in the Olympics and/or FIBA. By saying 'go back to amateurs' you're denying them that choice.
Right but assuming we're talking about 12 of the best players in the NCAA, you'd think they still get drafted. 
Philly:

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2014, 01:46:19 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Possibly.

What about the ethical dilemma of having Coach K heading up a team of entirely NCAA athletes, though? If we can safely assume this switch would turn the FIBA tournament into an NBA audition that would, arguably, be more important in talent assessment than March Madness, does that mean that Duke players are getting an unfair toe in the door over their contemporaries? What does it say to a player if their own coach won't consider them for the FIBA team even if they're starting in Durham?

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2014, 03:09:25 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Well, it all started in 1988, when Sabonis and co. destroyed the Admiral and the rest of the US kids in Seoul. That opened the door to the US bringing the best team, and that changed everything.

First of all, from a sports perspective, the US obviously wanted to win and show they were the best in basketball... by far, aka the Dream Team.  Then, in 1994, Dream Team II... well, you can go to wikipedia but the US relaxed up to the point where they lost in 2002 and 2004, so they committed to win again. Looking at that, it can go back an forth, the US will have the best talents but if they don't put the best team they can be challenged.

But the big thing isn't about sports. When the Dream Team showed up, it made NBA's business even bigger, it became global. That's why they won't go back to college kids. The under 23 rule for the US might be interesting for competitive purposes, but for every terrible injury like PG's, there are million$ or rea$on$ for the NBA to bring their players to FIBA competitions. Adam Silver had a role in the trophies ceremony, so you can bet the FIBA-NBA business will have a loooong story to go.

All true.

The NBA and some stars used the international competition as the cheapest way possible to advertise the American product.  It may be debatable whether or not the NBA still "needs" FIBA to showcase their product in the modern media and internet age.

AND...

How can it be good for the league, but not good for the owners or players (who take all the risk)?  The league itself isn't at much risk, but individual players and teams are.  Indy had a chance to be a contender, and now they simply don't.  Who makes up for the loss?

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2014, 03:11:21 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Well, I have some strong words for Woj, you are a piece of crap.

Seriously, why the need to disparage the best basketball coach on any level in all the world? Coach K has earned his respect, what have you earned Woj?

And people wonder why journalists are looked upon with disdain.

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2014, 03:19:36 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
Possibly.

What about the ethical dilemma of having Coach K heading up a team of entirely NCAA athletes, though? If we can safely assume this switch would turn the FIBA tournament into an NBA audition that would, arguably, be more important in talent assessment than March Madness, does that mean that Duke players are getting an unfair toe in the door over their contemporaries? What does it say to a player if their own coach won't consider them for the FIBA team even if they're starting in Durham?
I guess it would become an entire system change, whether it be the selection process, the coach, or something else entirely.  Pops is probably the best in the business, why not trot him out there?
Philly:

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2014, 03:25:10 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Well, I have some strong words for Woj, you are a piece of crap.

Seriously, why the need to disparage the best basketball coach on any level in all the world? Coach K has earned his respect, what have you earned Woj?

And people wonder why journalists are looked upon with disdain.

Coach K isn't even the best basketball coach on the Southeastern Seaboard.