Author Topic: True center  (Read 20459 times)

Re: True center
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2014, 11:41:14 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Kosta Koufos is a True Center.

He's not very good, but he's solid. I'd like to have him on board with us. We got Faverani and some.picks we can use to trade for him.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2014, 11:58:07 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

He's not very good, but he's solid. I'd like to have him on board with us. We got Faverani and some.picks we can use to trade for him.
i am not sure i see the logic in spending assets to being in a "true center" who is "not very good." what is the point of spending such resources unless the player in question is able to win games for the celtics.

true center, false center ... the former may not always provide a higher chance of winning than the latter. a pf playing out of position is sometimes better than some players who may qualify as a "true center." there are some pretty marginal centers out there.

looking only at stats, it seems sully plays a better game at center than koufos, and zeller does as well.

i have trouble seeing the advantage in expending many assets to get a third string center who is not very good.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2014, 12:01:09 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Was Bynum there for both finals the lakers won? Or do people claim pau as a a center as well?

Glad you brought that up.

In 2008, when the Celts dismantled LA, Bynum was not playing.

However, in 2009 and 2010 when LA came back to win back to back 'ships, Bynum was playing and Gasol looked alot more comfortable and aggressive than he was in 2008 when KG absolutely manhandled him.

With two effective big guys like Bynum and Gasol and with us losing Perk, it's really no wonder we lost to LA in 2010 (and yes, I agree the officiating and Ray Allen's putrid offense didn't help.)

No love for Lamar Odom?

Forgot about him

Another big that was very useful for the Lakers vs the C's in the '10 finals.

Related:I don't know if I've ever seen a pair of championship teammates fall off harder immediately after winning a ring than Odom and Bynum
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2014, 12:03:23 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
Was Bynum there for both finals the lakers won? Or do people claim pau as a a center as well?

However, in 2009 and 2010 when LA came back to win back to back 'ships, Bynum was playing and Gasol looked alot more comfortable and aggressive than he was in 2008 when KG absolutely manhandled him.

With two effective big guys like Bynum and Gasol and with us losing Perk, it's really no wonder we lost to LA in 2010 (and yes, I agree the officiating and Ray Allen's putrid offense didn't help.)

No love for Lamar Odom?

Forgot about him

Related:I don't know if I've ever seen a pair of championship teammates fall off harder immediately after winning a ring than Odom and Bynum

Yup. Odom totally fell apart after the Lakers traded him and Bynum was always such a hit or miss player.

« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2014, 12:49:47 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

i am not sure i see the logic in spending assets to being in a "true center" who is "not very good." what is the point of spending such resources unless the player in question is able to win games for the celtics.

true center, false center ... the former may not always provide a higher chance of winning than the latter. a pf playing out of position is sometimes better than some players who may qualify as a "true center." there are some pretty marginal centers out there.

looking only at stats, it seems sully plays a better game at center than koufos, and zeller does as well.

i have trouble seeing the advantage in expending many assets to get a third string center who is not very good.

Because he's a proven solid center who has legitimate size and can defend the rim better what we have currently.

His last stint in Denver when he was starting all the games, he averaged 7 rebounds and a block in 22 minutes. As a  backup playing 16 minutes he averaged  5 boards and a block in Memphis.  His Per 36 career is 13/11 rebs/2 blocks.

He's a starting caliber True Center who can produce. Faverani cant give the same production. Having him means we dont have to be at a disadvantage size wise. We dont have to play Sully at Center anymore. He'll also dedend the rim better than who we have right now.

So i say why not. We have SO MANY picks, lets use them even if it means its just a slight upgrade.

« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2014, 12:56:19 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

Because he's a proven solid center who has legitimate size and can defend the rim better what we have currently.

His last stint in Denver when he was starting all the games, he averaged 7 rebounds and a block in 22 minutes. As a  backup playing 16 minutes he averaged  5 boards and a block in Memphis.  His Per 36 career is 13/11 rebs/2 blocks.

He's a starting caliber True Center who can produce. Faverani cant give the same production. Having him means we dont have to be at a disadvantage size wise. We dont have to play Sully at Center anymore. He'll also dedend the rim better than who we have right now.

So i say why not. We have SO MANY picks, lets use them even if it means its just a slight upgrade.
thanks for a good reply.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2014, 03:04:08 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402

I don't think Koufos is a starting caliber center.

I consider Koufos a strong backup center (quality wise). He is passable enough as a temporary starting center if his team lacks a starting caliber center but is unable to keep the position long term. Not enough quality on either end of the floor. Fairly limited player but plays with decent intelligence and good effort.

I would be happy to have Koufos here in Boston. I would not give up any first round picks for him though. I view him solely as a stop-gap measure (as starting center). If Memphis was willing to give him up for a pair of 2nd rounders (and cap filler), I would happily do that.

« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2014, 04:28:17 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I don't think Koufos is a starting caliber center.

I consider Koufos a strong backup center (quality wise). He is passable enough as a temporary starting center if his team lacks a starting caliber center but is unable to keep the position long term. Not enough quality on either end of the floor. Fairly limited player but plays with decent intelligence and good effort.

I would be happy to have Koufos here in Boston. I would not give up any first round picks for him though. I view him solely as a stop-gap measure (as starting center). If Memphis was willing to give him up for a pair of 2nd rounders (and cap filler), I would happily do that.

He did pretty well starting for Denver 2 years ago. He's not going to be All Star level, but he should be a good starter who's grabbing boards and blocking decent amount of shots and providing a presence in the paint.

8 points, 7 rebounds, 1.3 blocks in 22 minutes as a starter, that's solid production. I think he'll be good enough starting for us playing 30 minutes.

« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2014, 04:34:09 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

POP QUIZ: Where was Kosta born? No cheating.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2014, 04:40:23 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

POP QUIZ: Where was Kosta born? No cheating.

Greece

« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2014, 04:41:12 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Ohio.

It's easy to get one bastion of culture confused with the other. :P

« Reply #86 on: September 19, 2014, 04:42:52 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
Ohio.

It's easy to get one bastion of culture confused with the other. :P

Ah.... big X for me.

His name sounds Greek, that's why I figured that.

« Reply #87 on: September 19, 2014, 04:47:02 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
He also plays for the Greek national team.

« Reply #88 on: September 19, 2014, 08:31:07 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

No love for Lamar Odom?

Forgot about him

Bynum's best play came after he won the titles.

« Reply #89 on: September 19, 2014, 08:53:05 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
You're right -- I was conflating his healthy 18-12 year with their championship, it was actually the lockout year.