Author Topic: Old Tracy McGrady Game 7 post game interview  (Read 4817 times)

Re: Old Tracy McGrady Game 7 post game interview
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2014, 09:07:20 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
The reason playoff success eluded them, especially for McGrady, was that they had crappy and/or unhealthy teammates. Luck has everything to do with it when it comes to winning rings or not.

Sometimes the reason for crappy team mates is that your star's set poor examples and tone for the team.  Hmmm, if McGrady dogs it on D, why can't I?   Get the gist?   Russell set a tone on Defense.   Jordan would punch team mates in practice if they dogged it.   Bird would have called them sissies publicly.   The Spurs play great collective defense as a team because they trust one another.  Plus these guys and teams all had tremendous wills to win.  McGrady and Iverson had wills to score and self promote.  I get that this guy was some of your heros, but Basketball Reference has a  58% chance that he makes Hall of Fame.   Not a lock by any means.

If you think it's all luck then we have heard all we need to on your basketball theory.  Go play the state lotto, it might help you there.   But in sports, all too often, luck is a residue or hard work,  lot's of preparation and effort.

The draft is luck and health is sometimes luck.  Guys who consistently win make their own luck.

Has nothing to do with heroes. There's no single player that elevates their team to a championship, you need a front office and a coaching staff that don't screw anything up. Basketball's a team game, and you ignored the biggest part of my post:

There is no player in the history NBA that has ever been such a net negative on defense that they singularly sunk their teams' playoff hopes.

The rest of it is you filling in the blanks about people you don't know doing things you weren't there for. McGrady and Iverson are almost universally spoken of pretty highly by their former coaches and teammates, but that doesn't fit your narrative, so you discard it.

Anytime you start talking about "will to win" it's a sure sign that you're adorably wrong. I'll be sure to pick you up a scratch ticket. :-*
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.