Author Topic: Old Tracy McGrady Game 7 post game interview  (Read 4806 times)

Old Tracy McGrady Game 7 post game interview
« on: September 14, 2014, 08:40:21 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
One of the most saddest heart breaking post game interviews for me to watch.

I always thought McGrady and Ming were going to go down in history as the one two punch players. An unstoppable scorer at the wing/SG, and a 7 foot Center who could shoot free throws, and have the great ability to toss a baby hook like it was hot cakes on a Sunday morning at IHOP.

Its incredibly hard for me to watch this, because I grew up watching McGrady the most next to my beloved Celtics of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyWEwmFG0W4

"I tried man. I tried..."

Yes T-Mac we know, and we wished the Spurs could've at least sealed the deal the year before, and you got that ring. You deserved it, and hopefully T-Mac does successfully come back next year, and be able to at least get the ring he deserves even if it means joining the Cavs.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

Re: Old Tracy McGrady Game 7 post game interview
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 10:22:50 PM »

Offline perks-a-beast

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 224
I love T-Mac. Any fan base would be lucky to have a guy like that who cares so much. I still think and A.I. are the best players to never win a title. 

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 11:59:02 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
I love T-Mac. Any fan base would be lucky to have a guy like that who cares so much. I still think and A.I. are the best players to never win a title.
perhaps, iverson certainly was a great player. his career stats were...
26.7 points a game, 3.7 rbs, and 6.7 assists.

however, a few other players that might be carefully considered as among the best to never win a championship could include...

- Elgin Baylor, 14 years, averaged 27.4 points for his career, 13.5 rbs, and 4.3 assists. (in his best season he averaged 38.3 points and 18.6 rbs.)
- Karl Malone, averaged 25 points, 10.1 rebounds, and 3.6 assists.
- Charles Barkley, averaged 22.1 points, 11.7 rebounds, and 3.9 assists.

all of these guys were clearly better than chopped liver.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 12:11:33 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
AI was the worst defensive player I've ever seen.  McGrady coasting on defense like he did was almost adequate.

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 05:04:58 AM »

fitzhickey

I miss Yao Ming. Was always so fun to watch and play as on 2K

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 12:11:04 AM »

Offline suseego

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
[dang] this hit home

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 07:24:04 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
T mac was 6-9 shooting guard with a 7-4 wingspan...what a freak. I wish his back was not on Larry Bird status.

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 08:11:23 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
T-Mac was a definite favorite of mine and people forget how amazing he really was before the injury bug hit him.

I mean averaging 32, 7boards and 6 assists with 2 steals per game shooting 46% from the field and 39% from three?  :o

8 straight years of averaging over 21+ points per game, 5+rebounds and 5+ assists? (Rounding up from 4.6 one year). I mean that's just crazy talk.

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 09:00:41 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Yeah, gotta say I feel much worse for Yao.  At least TMac had a long successful career.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 09:52:37 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
8 straight years of averaging over 21+ points per game, 5+rebounds and 5+ assists?

And yet true success in terms of titles and deep playoff runs eluded him....

50 playoff games of which he started 38  in that 15 year long career( he didn't play 2 years of the 17) tells me he had a lot of one and done series.

I always grouped McGrady in with guys like Vince Carter,   A human highlight film but lacking something.   Iverson was a volume scorer albeit one of the greatest undersized guys to ever play the game.   None of these guys were good defenders and maybe that is the reason that playoff success eluded them.   They had the physical ability jump not the mental toughness to play great D.  All three of them had offensive toughness. 

Ming  had three great years and three other good ones.   For being so tall he only got double digits in rebounding twice.   I thought he was marketing scheme by league to get into China's market  but he was decent and definitely above average to good in most of his years, just not an all time great.   I never have trusted the health of guys that tall they are always fragile and I got that right.

The league always pushed the latest and greatest on us every year with tons of marketing.   I rarely drink the Kool-Aid.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 10:05:18 AM by Celtics4ever »

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 12:52:36 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
8 straight years of averaging over 21+ points per game, 5+rebounds and 5+ assists?

50 playoff games of which he started 38  in that 15 year long career( he didn't play 2 years of the 17) tells me he had a lot of one and done series.

I always grouped McGrady in with guys like Vince Carter,   A human highlight film but lacking something.   Iverson was a volume scorer albeit one of the greatest undersized guys to ever play the game.   None of these guys were good defenders and maybe that is the reason that playoff success eluded them.   They had the physical ability jump not the mental toughness to play great D.  All three of them had offensive toughness. 

Ming  had three great years and three other good ones.   For being so tall he only got double digits in rebounding twice.   I thought he was marketing scheme by league to get into China's market  but he was decent and definitely above average to good in most of his years, just not an all time great.   I never have trusted the health of guys that tall they are always fragile and I got that right.

The league always pushed the latest and greatest on us every year with tons of marketing.   I rarely drink the Kool-Aid.

actually unlike Vince Carter, I actually think TMac had so much more potential. He was just so unlucky in having injuries or injury to a major piece of his team (ie Yao Ming) that it was difficult for him to advance past the 1st round. That ONE year where they got to the 2nd round in Houston was when he was down, Yao on half a leg, and Ron Artest taking the then Lakers champion to 7 games in the 2nd round.

I won't say they'll beat the Lakers or get to the finals, had the 2009 Houston Rockets, had a fully healthy squad of

Aaron Brooks, Tracy McGrady, Ron Artest, Luis Scola and Yao Ming, that team would've been a major force to deal with in the west, and definitely in my opinion a better team than this current Houston Rockets team

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 01:16:42 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

I always grouped McGrady in with guys like Vince Carter,   A human highlight film but lacking something.   Iverson was a volume scorer albeit one of the greatest undersized guys to ever play the game.  None of these guys were good defenders and maybe that is the reason that playoff success eluded them.   They had the physical ability jump not the mental toughness to play great D.  All three of them had offensive toughness. 

There is no player in the history NBA that has ever been such a net negative on defense that they singularly sunk their teams' playoff hopes.

The reason playoff success eluded them, especially for McGrady, was that they had crappy and/or unhealthy teammates. Luck has everything to do with it when it comes to winning rings or not.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 09:35:29 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

I always grouped McGrady in with guys like Vince Carter,   A human highlight film but lacking something.   Iverson was a volume scorer albeit one of the greatest undersized guys to ever play the game.  None of these guys were good defenders and maybe that is the reason that playoff success eluded them.   They had the physical ability jump not the mental toughness to play great D.  All three of them had offensive toughness. 

There is no player in the history NBA that has ever been such a net negative on defense that they singularly sunk their teams' playoff hopes.

The reason playoff success eluded them, especially for McGrady, was that they had crappy and/or unhealthy teammates. Luck has everything to do with it when it comes to winning rings or not.
True, even Russell managed to go two whole years without enough luck to win the title.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2014, 11:28:53 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Look at all the luck that went into crafting that Celtics Dynasty though. Cousy was luck. The Russell trade was luck. So on so forth.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2014, 06:17:20 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Sometimes the reason for crappy team mates is that your star's set poor examples and tone for the team.  Hmmm, if McGrady dogs it on D, why can't I?   Get the gist?   Russell set a tone on Defense.   Jordan would punch team mates in practice if they dogged it.   Bird would have called them sissies publicly.   The Spurs play great collective defense as a team because they trust one another.  Plus these guys and teams all had tremendous wills to win.  McGrady and Iverson had wills to score and self promote.  I get that this guy was some of your heros, but Basketball Reference has a  58% chance that he makes Hall of Fame.   Not a lock by any means.

If you think it's all luck then we have heard all we need to on your basketball theory.  Go play the state lotto, it might help you there.   But in sports, all too often, luck is a residue or hard work,  lot's of preparation and effort.

The draft is luck and health is sometimes luck.  Guys who consistently win make their own luck.