Author Topic: The Official Brandon Bass Appreciation Thread  (Read 3048 times)

The Official Brandon Bass Appreciation Thread
« on: September 14, 2014, 02:03:54 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
No, he hasn't been traded, but with the news of his house being sold coming to light, I think it's time that we thank #30 for all that he's done over the past 3 seasons.  He might not be the flashiest player, or the guy who's constantly in the headlines, but Brandon Bass has been nothing short of excellent in his time here. 

Frankly, after watching him play, it makes me think that, he we signed him instead of Big Baby after 08-09, we would have been even better in 2010 - maybe to the point of winning another title.  It was his defense, after all, that allowed us to compensate for Pierce's age in 2012, when he could no longer guard a guy like Lebron for the entire game (which is completely understandable).  Had that defensive switch been made in game 6 instead of game 7 of that year's ecf, we might just have beaten them.  Bass was that effective against James in the first half of game 7, and Lebron shot, iirc, just 9-21 overall.  In 2013, he showed us that he could be the Melo-stopper, d-ing up Anthony during that 1st round series just as he had against Carmelo in 2009, while a member of the Dallas Mavericks, and this past year, throughout the trade rumors and the struggles of our team, he never once complained, pouted, or mouthed off.  He simply came to work every day and gave it his all, traits that seem to be lacking in the vast majority of players these days.

So thank you, Mr. Bass.  Thank you for your professionalism, your defense, your toughness, your midrange jumper, your great free throw shooting, and your consistent effort (and this list could go on and on).  There's a reason why you won the Red Auerbach award last season.  I only wish that you had been acquired two seasons earlier, because you deserve to be in a championship parade.

Sincerely,

Celtics fans

Re: The Official Brandon Bass Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2014, 08:32:16 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
"Consistent effort"....

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2014, 09:00:36 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He is a very good pro.  Doesnt complain, makes his mid range jump shot,  plays good defense . no distraction.

He is not gone yet though

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2014, 09:03:58 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
TP for you, Beat LA. I never once regretted the Davis-Bass trade.

I am no stat geek, so I bet Bass' numbers show him to be a very effective player if you factor in everything offense, defense etc.

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2014, 09:22:41 AM »

Offline bleedGREENdon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 29
I love bass, wish we had a spot for him on this team. But he really doesn't fit with the direction.

To really think that lineup of

Rondo
Allen
Pierce
Bass
KG

Might have been the best shooting lineup that year, KG and bass money midrange and Allen and pierce for three. Wow.

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 10:45:31 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
He is a very good pro.  Doesnt complain, makes his mid range jump shot,  plays good defense . no distraction.

He is not gone yet though

Yep. If KO can play some center this year with improved strength, and in general if KO, Sully, and Zeller show improved play we just might hold on to Bass as the 3rd or 4th big. 

One of the issues last year besides the obvious lack of centers is all of our bigs were good, but no one really separated themselves with their play, and they were all for most part on the same level.  If the younger guys with more upside take leaps in their game I have no problem holding onto to Bass for now.

However, Ainge has to figure out how to trim the roster a little bit, and Bass is an obvious name to throw out there.

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 10:54:30 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Agree with the thread - Bass has gotten a lot of unnecessary flak the last few years.  He's a solid, unspectacular guy whose biggest crime is that solid, unspectacular guys don't really do much for bad teams.  At least with Jeff Green we can say we were hoping for some level of stardom from him - not so with Bass.  He's done well with his limited role and skillset and made some big plays for us during that 2012 run.  I've got no animosity toward him at all.

He doesn't really have a place in green right now, so I hope he finds a home on a playoff-caliber team that can use his talents well.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 12:51:27 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 11:13:33 AM »

Offline biggs

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Good post.  I've always liked Bass.  I hope he lands somewhere nice.  GSW would have been perfect
Truuuuuuuuuth!

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2014, 12:02:29 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I posted this in a different thread a few days ago, but my sentiments are still the same:

I, for one, will miss Bass, but know that he has to go (unless Sully and/or Oly are moved in a bigger deal, and we can contend soon, which is unlikely).

He has been very much a professional in his whole tenure here and has done everything asked of him. He and KG worked that D and those rotations very well together, which is why that I thought the Nets would be a good fit.

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2014, 12:52:20 PM »

Offline Adelaide Celt

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 206
Definitely a good idea to take a moment to appreciate a good bloke. Especially as more and more pro athletes show that they are anything but good blokes.
NO AMOUNT OF PSYCHOLOGICAL MANIPULATION, HORMONAL OR SURGICAL MUTILATION WILL EVER CHANGE A PERSON'S GENDER

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2014, 01:04:23 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I was really hoping this trade meant that a deal happened. Even a money clearing deal to free up playing time, I would take it...

And it's not that I don't like Bass because I do, it's more about giving as many minutes possible to this young 4/5 rotation of KO, Zeller and Sully.

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2014, 03:55:05 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
Yep! Bass is the man!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2014, 04:01:17 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
That 28 point outburst against philly. Those were the days.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2014, 04:01:45 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I appreciate Bass as a borderline starter-caliber player.  People who think he is definitely not a starter are wrong.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2014, 07:39:11 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
TP for you, Beat LA. I never once regretted the Davis-Bass trade.

I am no stat geek, so I bet Bass' numbers show him to be a very effective player if you factor in everything offense, defense etc.

Perhaps I should have made this a fan post instead.  Oh well ;D

Anyway, when that trade was made I didn't know anything about Bass, but at the minimum I knew that he wasn't going to have those Davis-like weight issues, or those off-court incidents that were quite embarrassing.  I don't miss big baby at all haha, and like I said in the post, I really wish that Bass had been on that 2010 team instead of Davis.  His superior quickness, speed, free throw shooting, defense, and, perhaps most importantly, athleticism, which allows him to finish in traffic over and against size, would have been a big upgrade in that series against the Lakers, imo, especially when compared to big baby, who just couldn't get it done amongst the trees lol.