Author Topic: Kelly Olynyk is a Bust!! Where is all the hype coming from??  (Read 41489 times)

Re: Kelly Olynyk is a Bust!! Where is all the hype coming from??
« Reply #165 on: September 19, 2014, 11:02:11 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Question - how can you put Noel in that first five when he has yet to play a game in the NBA?  For that reason alone, the Greek Freak should be in the first 5, imo. 

Nerlens grew up on the street behind me and went to school from 6th grade with my son. Been watching him swat balls and dunk on people since he was 13 years old.

Question is, with me, how could Nerlens NOT be in the top 5 regardless of how many games he played?

Have you seen him play against other top players in the country at that age?  The only reason I ask is I expect most if not all first round picks to dominate when they were in middle school.  Even saying that some kids are late bloomers, and some level out really fast after being really good at that age.

With my small sample size watching him I think Noel can be a Marcus Camby type player.  Who would you compare him too?
You are obviously missing the point. The point is he is my kid's friend and my neighbor. I'm going to be loyal and place him that high regardless out of loyalty for a fellow kid from Everett.

Also, I watched every game he played at Kentucky(where he put up numbers , especially defensively that were as good if not better than what Anthony Davis put up there with a better group of talent around him) and every Summer League game he played(where in Orlando he was easily the best player in the Summer League).

I think Nerlens new stroke at the line is going to make him a bit more of a scorer than people thought and so I think he has a career arch of being better than Marcus Camby but Camby might be his best comparison. But let's not forget, Camby was a guy that was a DPOY, led the league in blocks and blocks per game 4 times, defensive rebound % 3 times, total rebound percentage 4 times and who averaged over 10 rebounds per game 10 times and who became a fairly adept passer.

Nerlens is already a better passer than Camby ever was, compares favorably as a shot blocker and rebounder and has much quicker lateral movement and faster hands meaning he will nab a lot more steals than Camby ever did.

So a better version of Marcus Camby is what I have been calling him all along. That puts him as the player with the highest realistic upside from that draft class, IMHO.

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 11:33:26 AM by nickagneta »

« Reply #166 on: September 19, 2014, 11:05:24 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
KO put up good enough numbers his rookie year to be a NBA journeymen for years to come.   My definition of a bust is someone who can't play or is hurt and never played meaningful minutes.  KO is not a superstar but for where he was picked like 13th, he is doing fine.   He was picked not in the top of lotto and wasn't a sure lock thing. So a bust he is not, maybe if he was a top three pick he would be a disappointment.

GA has tons of potential.  KO will never be able to do this:

KO is a skill guy and a finesse player.   GA at this point lacks some skills and is more a physical talent.  KO is a better shooter and passer.  GA has better length and an athletic ability, KO was one of the worst athletes at the combine so was Sullinger.   Now skills can be developed and this is what makes athletic guys have more potential possibly than a skill guy.   This does not always happen so there is always high bust potential there too.  Now that pic is not too good of a jump but is not earthbound like KO.   It is not an elite jump if you look at the height of his feet from the ground.   But at 6'11"  you do not have to be elite and simply above average vertical will suffice.   This may not be his max.   I do not think that KO can get that high at this point unless loosing some of the baby fat and replacing it with muscle helps him.

KO was more NBA ready coming in and only time will tell how GA pans out.   He seems to have a EURO fondness for the perimeter game and rumor has it he is still growing.  He has grown some since drafted and is now 6'11".

I think neither are busts and neither are stars at this point.  I think GA has more potential but KO is more ready to help his team this year.

« Reply #167 on: September 19, 2014, 11:12:31 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
wow 12 pages this thread got to?

wish I could find my Jump to Conclusions board game...

« Reply #168 on: September 19, 2014, 01:20:38 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Question - how can you put Noel in that first five when he has yet to play a game in the NBA?  For that reason alone, the Greek Freak should be in the first 5, imo. 

Nerlens grew up on the street behind me and went to school from 6th grade with my son. Been watching him swat balls and dunk on people since he was 13 years old.

Question is, with me, how could Nerlens NOT be in the top 5 regardless of how many games he played?

Have you seen him play against other top players in the country at that age?  The only reason I ask is I expect most if not all first round picks to dominate when they were in middle school.  Even saying that some kids are late bloomers, and some level out really fast after being really good at that age.

With my small sample size watching him I think Noel can be a Marcus Camby type player.  Who would you compare him too?
You are obviously missing the point. The point is he is my kid's friend and my neighbor. I'm going to be loyal and place him that high regardless out of loyalty for a fellow kid from Everett.

Also, I watched every game he played at Kentucky(where he put up numbers , especially defensively that were as good if not better than what Anthony Davis put up there with a better group of talent around him) and every Summer League game he played(where in Orlando he was easily the best player in the Summer League).

I think Nerlens new stroke at the line is going to make him a bit more of a scorer than people thought and so I think he has a career arch of being better than Marcus Camby but Camby might be his best comparison. But let's not forget, Camby was a guy that was a DPOY, led the league in blocks and blocks per game 4 times, defensive rebound % 3 times, total rebound percentage 4 times and who averaged over 10 rebounds per game 10 times and who became a fairly adept passer.

Nerlens is already a better passer than Camby ever was, compares favorably as a shot blocker and rebounder and has much quicker lateral movement and faster hands meaning he will nab a lot more steals than Camby ever did.

So a better version of Marcus Camby is what I have been calling him all along. That puts him as the player with the highest realistic upside from that draft class, IMHO.

Thanks for clarifying.  I know what you mean by being loyal with who you know.  I actually went to school with Marcus and thought it was a good comparison.  Marcus was awesome defensively.  Would have liked him in green even at the end of his career when we were making championship runs.

« Reply #169 on: September 19, 2014, 02:45:33 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I keep waiting for this thread to go away. . . not enough new topics? Bring on mini camp or something!

« Reply #170 on: September 19, 2014, 03:53:23 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
His ceiling is Ryan Anderson unlike the Greek Freak who has the ceiling of Paul George. Which would you rather have if KO wasn't a Celtic?

It doesn't just matter how high his ceiling is, it matters how likely it is to hit that ceiling.  If Giannis had a 1% chance of being as good as Paul George and Kelly Oynyk had a 10% chance of being as good as Ryan Anderson, who would you rather have?
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #171 on: September 19, 2014, 03:59:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Thanks for clarifying.  I know what you mean by being loyal with who you know.  I actually went to school with Marcus and thought it was a good comparison.  Marcus was awesome defensively.  Would have liked him in green even at the end of his career when we were making championship runs.
Those Camby UMASS teams were some of my favorite New England sports teams ever up there along with the Flutie Eagles. I wished there was a way we could have had Camby here since he was a rook, through all his growing pains and early injuries and everything. Big Camby fan here.

« Reply #172 on: September 19, 2014, 04:08:39 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
His ceiling is Ryan Anderson unlike the Greek Freak who has the ceiling of Paul George. Which would you rather have if KO wasn't a Celtic?

It doesn't just matter how high his ceiling is, it matters how likely it is to hit that ceiling.  If Giannis had a 1% chance of being as good as Paul George and Kelly Oynyk had a 10% chance of being as good as Ryan Anderson, who would you rather have?

Fab Melo as Hakeem Olajuwon.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #173 on: September 19, 2014, 06:39:29 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Fab Melo as Hakeem Olajuwon.

I wonder how old Harold Miner is.

« Reply #174 on: September 19, 2014, 07:14:23 PM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92

Quote from: Celtics4ever on Yesterday at 04:50:47 PM

Can we look back and say it was a weak draft?

What happened to before this draft when "this was suppose to be that super draft year"???

Did I mention, we're making the playoffs this year???

« Reply #175 on: September 19, 2014, 07:16:53 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Quote from: Celtics4ever on Yesterday at 04:50:47 PM

What happened to before this draft when "this was suppose to be that super draft year"???

Did I mention, we're making the playoffs this year???

He's talking about the 2013 draft, 2014 is the one that was hyped like crazy.

« Reply #176 on: September 19, 2014, 11:53:22 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

Yes?

Of course we can't.  It's way too early to make that call.

Then when, pray tell, does it stop being 'too early?'

About six or seven years.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson