Author Topic: Kelly Olynyk is a Bust!! Where is all the hype coming from??  (Read 41380 times)

Re: Kelly Olynyk is a Bust!! Where is all the hype coming from??
« Reply #105 on: September 17, 2014, 02:21:26 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
KO is a pretty big bust and another blemish on Ainge's drafting record. How do you pass up on the future Superstar like the Greek Freak? How?! Then he follows that up with Marcus Banks 2.0 and James Young who will play in the D-League for two years and then head overseas to have a decent career coming off the bench in Israel.
I gave myself whiplash from shaking my head so much at this nonsense.

If Giannis was a sure superstar or even remotely considered to have the potential to be a superstar, he would have been at the top of that weak draft.  the fact many other teams also passed on him should tell you that athleticism means nothing without skill.  Since athleticism means so much to you, you must still be praising the 2 prime picks Danny went with athleticism over skill in Gerald Green and JR Giddens.  2 incredibly athletic players that bombed miserably in the league. 

KO showed a lot more last year than Giannis.  I personally wanted Dieng and wasn't happy he traded to move up to get KO but after watching him play last year, I'm not totally irritated now.  Still would take KO and Dieng over Giannis if I had a chance to redraft.

I think Olynyk is anything but a bust. He had a great first year.
He's going to have a different development path given that he's still getting used to playing with his size and height- even at his advanced age. I think we won't see Olynyk at his full potential for another 3-4 years.
His footwork is what excites me. I'd also like to see more of his dribble drive game which I think we'll see as he works his way toward becoming more of a stretch forward. I don't know if he'll be a borderline all star but he might be. So many things have to go right with these guys it's too hard to predict.

I do disagree with you about Giannis though. In most re-drafts he's the clear number one pick given his age and skillset- he's a potential hall of famer. I think he's still only 18 years old so he's 5 years younger than Olynyk. That's a looonnnng time until he's only 23 years old.
Part of the reason I like Noah Vonleh so much.

After the All Star break, sure, especially over the last, what, five or so games, but in the first half of the season he looked like a bust.  He was clearly thinking too much out there, but he definitely wasn't solid all year, even when you factor in the typical rookie learning curve, which, frankly, after his showing in the sl, I don't think anyone expected, but it happens.

And Giannis played like a potential franchise player from the get go?

« Reply #106 on: September 17, 2014, 02:21:49 AM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
KO is a pretty big bust and another blemish on Ainge's drafting record. How do you pass up on the future Superstar like the Greek Freak? How?! Then he follows that up with Marcus Banks 2.0 and James Young who will play in the D-League for two years and then head overseas to have a decent career coming off the bench in Israel.

If Giannis was a sure superstar or even remotely considered to have the potential to be a superstar, he would have been at the top of that weak draft.  the fact many other teams also passed on him should tell you that athleticism means nothing without skill.  Since athleticism means so much to you, you must still be praising the 2 prime picks Danny went with athleticism over skill in Gerald Green and JR Giddens.  2 incredibly athletic players that bombed miserably in the league. 

KO showed a lot more last year than Giannis.  I personally wanted Dieng and wasn't happy he traded to move up to get KO but after watching him play last year, I'm not totally irritated now.  Still would take KO and Dieng over Giannis if I had a chance to redraft.

He's going to have a different development path given that he's still getting used to playing with his size and height- even at his advanced age. I think we won't see Olynyk at his full potential for another 3-4 years.
His footwork is what excites me. I'd also like to see more of his dribble drive game which I think we'll see as he works his way toward becoming more of a stretch forward. I don't know if he'll be a borderline all star but he might be. So many things have to go right with these guys it's too hard to predict.

I do disagree with you about Giannis though. In most re-drafts he's the clear number one pick given his age and skillset- he's a potential hall of famer. I think he's still only 18 years old so he's 5 years younger than Olynyk. That's a looonnnng time until he's only 23 years old.

After the All Star break, sure, especially over the last, what, five or so games, but in the first half of the season he looked like a bust.  He was clearly thinking too much out there, but he definitely wasn't solid all year, even when you factor in the typical rookie learning curve, which, frankly, after his showing in the sl, I don't think anyone expected, but it happens.

This is the exact reason I knew he wouldn't be a bust. He was overthinking because he was actually trying to run the play correctly. More rookies could stand to do the same thing. I loved the way Olynyk played the whole season even when he was scared to shoot. He kept the ball moving and was very active. Most rookies can't pull that off when they are scared to display their best skill. I have no idea how you could think Olynyk looked like a bust after the first half of the season. He looked like an intelligent player if anything to me.

There were actually a lot of quotes from Stevens that he preferred having Olynyk out there a lot because he kept the flow of the offense moving despite being shy with his shot. I 100% agreed with that assessment.

Same feeling I got from Avery in his short minutes and games his rookie year. His form looked good so I knew his shot would come eventually. I didn't care about his poor shooting percentage. With rookies (especially those drafted in the teens), I personally look for a guy who understands the plays and can work within the flow. Avery displayed that. Olynyk did. Sully did. Gabe Pruitt looked lost as a puppy and stuck in the corner. JJJ ran in circles doing nothing. Fab..was Fab. Production means nothing for rookies, but it can be a nice bonus (like Olynyk's second half of the season). I care more about how they approach the game, and I personally liked Olynyk's approach in the first half of the season despite his poor production.

The only guy (based on my mini list above) I'm surprised hasn't turned into a decent rotation player by now is Lester Hudson. I guess I was wrong about him.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 02:31:57 AM by DarkAzcura »

« Reply #107 on: September 17, 2014, 02:30:32 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Fine I'll give into the Giannis hype. He's the next Pippin, and will lead the Bucks to multiple NBA titles. Danny once again screwed up a draft, will someone please fire him and trade Rondo while you're at it.

You're missing the point.
No one's saying Giannis is going to be Durant, but he has the most potential to be Durant.
Olynyk was a good, solid pick at #13 and he had (in my opinion) a good, solid first year for a 13th pick.
Ainge can't be criticized for not taking a 17/18 year old kid without much exposure and Olynyk was a solid pick. 99% of the replies to this thread agree that Olynyk was a good to very good pick at 13.
Had Danny gambled on Giannis though, the future of this Celtics team would be looking very interesting with a potential franchise player galloping up and down the court with Marcus Smart, rather than a safer, *fingers crossed* Ryan Anderson type prospect.

I think it would be common sense to say that the Timberwolves would have thought much longer and much harder about a potential Celtics trade package that included Jarred Sullinger and Giannis vs a Kelly Olynyk package. Fair to say?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #108 on: September 17, 2014, 02:36:00 AM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
Fine I'll give into the Giannis hype. He's the next Pippin, and will lead the Bucks to multiple NBA titles. Danny once again screwed up a draft, will someone please fire him and trade Rondo while you're at it.

No one's saying Giannis is going to be Durant, but he has the most potential to be Durant.
Olynyk was a good, solid pick at #12 and he had (in my opinion) a good, solid first year for a 13th pick.
Ainge can't be criticized for not taking a 17/18 year old kid without much exposure and Olynyk was a solid pick. 99% of the replies to this thread agree that Olynyk was a good to very good pick at 13.
Had Danny gambled on Giannis though, the future of this Celtics team would be looking very interesting with a potential franchise player galloping up and down the court with Marcus Smart, rather than a safer, *fingers crossed* Ryan Anderson type prospect.

I think it would be common sense to say that the Timberwolves would have thought much longer and much harder about a potential Celtics trade package that included Jarred Sullinger and Giannis vs a Kelly Olynyk package. Fair to say?

No that's not fair to say. Flip wanted KO. Everyone knows that is who Flip liked on the Celtics if anybody at all. Flip, in the end, had his eyes on a top 3 pick as the main center piece. GA wouldn't have changed that.

And this thread (not speaking specifically to you here chambers) reminds me of the whole "grass is greener on the other side" theory. Somehow it is ok for people to say GA has Durant potential even though his shot will never be anywhere close to as good, but on the other side it is laughable to compare KO to Dirk at all even though their skill sets are similar regardless of athleticism (not like Dirk was earth shattering in this category either anyway). Weird hypocrisy/contradictions in this thread.

« Reply #109 on: September 17, 2014, 02:50:00 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
I agree, the double standards applied (to the Celtics players no less!) here is astounding....

« Reply #110 on: September 17, 2014, 04:04:07 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

Olynyk was a good, solid pick at #12 and he had (in my opinion) a good, solid first year for a 13th pick.

No that's not fair to say. Flip wanted KO. Everyone knows that is who Flip liked on the Celtics if anybody at all. Flip, in the end, had his eyes on a top 3 pick as the main center piece. GA wouldn't have changed that.

And this thread (not speaking specifically to you here chambers) reminds me of the whole "grass is greener on the other side" theory. Somehow it is ok for people to say GA has Durant potential even though his shot will never be anywhere close to as good, but on the other side it is laughable to compare KO to Dirk at all even though their skill sets are similar regardless of athleticism (not like Dirk was earth shattering in this category either anyway). Weird hypocrisy/contradictions in this thread.

I see where you're coming from. I'm not sure if Flip wanted KO, but if he wanted a top 3 pick as you said yourself, Giannis is considered much closer to top 3 pick value than Kelly Olynyk.

Do you agree if the draft were done again that Giannis would go ahead of Olynyk? If so, why is that? Why does Giannis go to the top 3 and Olynyk stays where he was picked or moves up or down slightly?

It's not a hypocrisy, it's a truthful statement that Giannis is considered to have franchise player potential (which may or may not be unlocked), Kelly Olynyk does not.

It's not fair to criticize Ainge for taking Olynyk over Giannis though, not by an reasonable extent.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #111 on: September 17, 2014, 04:18:38 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
If he had franchise player potential, surely the 14 teams would've saw it in him. He just doesn't all of a sudden come out of blue and perform like one. This was weak draft, if GA was the next superstar he would've been top 3 easily. You mean to tell me that GM's, scouts missed out on GA this franchise player? That is nearly impossible.

« Reply #112 on: September 17, 2014, 06:33:03 AM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52

If the draft was redone today is it any debate that GA would be taken in the top 3?? The draft itself was lackluster but the Celtics like the other teams before them had a golden opportunity to grab the only game changer and blew it. Just like they had a chance to grab Randle in this draft and blew it and had a chance to tank even harder to secure a top 3 pick and blew it. Aside from the Nets robbery there is nothing Danny has done that has remotely impressed me. He is a GM living off of ONE SEASON. Reminds me of someone named Dumars in Detroit. Now he has a roster that has zero star players on it and 12 role players. Instead he could have drafted a future star and went with the safe pick. Giannis is the next Paul George without the baby mama drama. I don't know how anyone can even defend Olynyk over The Greek Freak with a straight face.

« Reply #113 on: September 17, 2014, 06:36:05 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald

If the draft was redone today is it any debate that GA would be taken in the top 3?? The draft itself was lackluster but the Celtics like the other teams before them had a golden opportunity to grab the only game changer and blew it. Just like they had a chance to grab Randle in this draft and blew it and had a chance to tank even harder to secure a top 3 pick and blew it. Aside from the Nets robbery there is nothing Danny has done that has remotely impressed me. He is a GM living off of ONE SEASON. Reminds me of someone named Dumars in Detroit. Now he has a roster that has zero star players on it and 12 role players. Instead he could have drafted a future star and went with the safe pick. Giannis is the next Paul George without the baby mama drama. I don't know how anyone can even defend Olynyk over The Greek Freak with a straight face.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

« Reply #114 on: September 17, 2014, 07:16:48 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners

You have no idea what you're talking about.
Danny at least knew about GA and wanted him...but maybe there was just too much uncertainty around him to trade up for him..I can understand that.

BTW If you like GA you should be in love over Bruno Caboclo

« Reply #115 on: September 17, 2014, 07:23:20 AM »

fitzhickey

This has to be trolling

« Reply #116 on: September 17, 2014, 08:29:13 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I see where you're coming from. I'm not sure if Flip wanted KO, but if he wanted a top 3 pick as you said yourself, Giannis is considered much closer to top 3 pick value than Kelly Olynyk.

Do you agree if the draft were done again that Giannis would go ahead of Olynyk? If so, why is that? Why does Giannis go to the top 3 and Olynyk stays where he was picked or moves up or down slightly?

It's not a hypocrisy, it's a truthful statement that Giannis is considered to have franchise player potential (which may or may not be unlocked), Kelly Olynyk does not.

It's not fair to criticize Ainge for taking Olynyk over Giannis though, not by an reasonable extent.

What would you put the odds of GA becoming a franchise player at? 1 in 2? 1 in 5? 1 in 100?

« Reply #117 on: September 17, 2014, 09:11:39 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Like he said if Giannis has superstar potential, he would've gone first in a very weak draft. Giannis a potential hall of famer really?! If Giannis is HOF then Olynyk is an NBA legend.

Like I said, if you look at the re-mocks of the 2013 draft, Giannis moves to either the number 1 pick or a top 3 pick as a consensus vote. Kelly Olynyk stays the same, or moves backwards slightly- although I think Olynyk should be able to work his way into the top 6 players of that draft with some decent playing time and some work on his defense.
Olynyk is great, but he's not anywhere near the prospect of Giannis.
Again, we're talking about a significant difference in age and development potential- if you can't see that then that's your problem.

If you ran a poll on this website or on a general NBA website and asked fans which player they would have rather selected I think you'd find in favor of Giannis by at least 70-30%, probably more.

This is true, on the other hand the 2013 draft was largely devoid of talent, so it isn't like this is a particularly stunning development.

Again, there's no evidence that Giannis is going to be a great player -- just speculation based on athletic upside.

For the record, I would have drafted him over Olynyk, but I'm not wailing in the streets because of it.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #118 on: September 17, 2014, 09:42:05 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

He's going to turn 20 in a few months.

« Reply #119 on: September 17, 2014, 09:45:54 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
So he's basically past his prime already.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.