Author Topic: Kelly Olynyk is a Bust!! Where is all the hype coming from??  (Read 41382 times)

Re: Kelly Olynyk is a Bust!! Where is all the hype coming from??
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2014, 10:07:29 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
KO is a pretty big bust and another blemish on Ainge's drafting record. How do you pass up on the future Superstar like the Greek Freak? How?! Then he follows that up with Marcus Banks 2.0 and James Young who will play in the D-League for two years and then head overseas to have a decent career coming off the bench in Israel.

There is no evidence that GA is going to be a superstar. None.

Kelly and Giannis are both going to be superstars. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2014, 12:10:43 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
KO is a pretty big bust and another blemish on Ainge's drafting record. How do you pass up on the future Superstar like the Greek Freak? How?! Then he follows that up with Marcus Banks 2.0 and James Young who will play in the D-League for two years and then head overseas to have a decent career coming off the bench in Israel.

He's more likely to be a bust if anything.....

You guys have seen him play, right?

« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2014, 01:14:58 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Insofar as I've had the misfortune of watching what the Bucks continue to masquerade around as basketball yeah. I get it -- the dude is a physical abnormality, even in the NBA, and he's extraordinarily young. Potential is off the charts. So on and so forth.

But, uh, he's no Anthony Davis.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2014, 08:15:15 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I gave myself whiplash from shaking my head so much at this nonsense.

If Giannis was a sure superstar or even remotely considered to have the potential to be a superstar, he would have been at the top of that weak draft.  the fact many other teams also passed on him should tell you that athleticism means nothing without skill.  Since athleticism means so much to you, you must still be praising the 2 prime picks Danny went with athleticism over skill in Gerald Green and JR Giddens.  2 incredibly athletic players that bombed miserably in the league. 

KO showed a lot more last year than Giannis.  I personally wanted Dieng and wasn't happy he traded to move up to get KO but after watching him play last year, I'm not totally irritated now.  Still would take KO and Dieng over Giannis if I had a chance to redraft.

« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2014, 09:46:19 AM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
Kelly Olynyk gets owned in the post, he can't guard any good power forwards or centers due to lack of strength and ability.

« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2014, 10:17:00 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448

Insofar as I've had the misfortune of watching what the Bucks continue to masquerade around as basketball yeah. I get it -- the dude is a physical abnormality, even in the NBA, and he's extraordinarily young. Potential is off the charts. So on and so forth.

But, uh, he's no Anthony Davis.

He obviously has potential but right now he reminds me of Anthony Randolph.  Giant potential that is evident but certainly not there yet as a player, even though some will say otherwise.

Like with Randolph, I think the potential is legit, but also he isn't there yet.  Some will jump the gun.  And Randolph never got there of course.

Personally I feel like KO's skill level is a very safe bet to figure on developing and keeping him as an effective player as he goes forward but obviously some disagree.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2014, 10:24:39 AM by Snakehead »
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2014, 10:55:43 AM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
LOL.  I Love this Post!  Here's why.  Take a look at the rookie seasons of these four NBA players and try to guess who they are.  They are all power forwards.

Player A 45.5% FG 3P 17.4% Rebounds 457 Points 715 Games 74
Player B 46.6% FG 3P 35.1% Rebounds 365 Points 607 Games 70
Player C 40.5% FG 3P 20.6% Rebounds 162 Points 385 Games 47
Player D 49.3% FG 3P 20.0% Rebounds 264 Points 270 Games 45

The player pool is Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Smith, Kelly Olynyk, and Jared Sullinger.
Ok lock in your answer WITHOUT cheating.  Who do you match up to A, B, C, or D?

Ready for the answer now?

Player A is ... Josh Smith
Player B is ... Kelly Olynyk
Player C is ... Dirk Nowitzki
Player D is ... Jared Sullinger

Did you correctly guess who the players were based on their rookie season??
And that's why I find the premise of this post so hilarious.
There's no way to declare someone a bust after just one year. 
As a matter of fact, Olynyk had one of the better rookie seasons out of this group of four NBA power forwards.

Many people on here seems to think KO is one of the best young prospects our team have, and some even made the ridicules comparison with Dirk Nowitzki.  To me this player hasn't showed any any part of his game that stood out to me, while having many glaring weaknesses on defense and rebounding.  3pt shot is what many considers to be his best attribute but he shot 35% while making only .6 per game.  Can someone please help me understand the hype and how KO is different from a below average player like Andrea Bargnani?

« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2014, 11:01:42 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
While the blind taste test can sometimes reveal interesting things, that post says almost exactly nothing about any of the four players involved.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2014, 11:32:47 AM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
LOL.  I Love this Post!  Here's why.  Take a look at the rookie seasons of these four NBA players and try to guess who they are.  They are all power forwards.

The player pool is Dirk Nowitzki, Josh Smith, Kelly Olynyk, and Jared Sullinger.

As a matter of fact, Olynyk had one of the better rookie seasons out of this group of four NBA power forwards.

Many people on here seems to think KO is one of the best young prospects our team have, and some even made the ridicules comparison with Dirk Nowitzki.  To me this player hasn't showed any any part of his game that stood out to me, while having many glaring weaknesses on defense and rebounding.  3pt shot is what many considers to be his best attribute but he shot 35% while making only .6 per game.  Can someone please help me understand the hype and how KO is different from a below average player like Andrea Bargnani?

Let's play again!!!

Player A 46.3% FG 3P 32.7% Rebounds 521 Points 1053 Games 81
Player C 42.7% FG 3P 37.3% Rebounds 255 Points 751 Games 65
Player D 44.1% FG 3P 40.1% Rebounds 210 Points 675 Games 82

A = Charlie Villanueva
B= Olynyk
C= Andrea Bargnani
D= Pat Garrity (admittedly, I cheated and used his second year stats as his rookie year was the lockout shortened 98-99 season, which made using stat totals as the previous poster impossible)

The lesson is that this game is useless.  It is a poor way way to compare players and an impossible way to project player development.

« Reply #84 on: September 16, 2014, 12:26:50 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Let's play again!!!

A = Charlie Villanueva
B= Olynyk
C= Andrea Bargnani
D= Pat Garrity (admittedly, I cheated and used his second year stats as his rookie year was the lockout shortened 98-99 season, which made using stat totals as the previous poster impossible)

The lesson is that this game is useless.  It is a poor way way to compare players and an impossible way to project player development.

Per the point of this thread, it would perhaps more useful to find out how many players posted similar rookie stats as Olynyk who went on to become ... a bust (relative to a #13 pick).

All the players listed so far went on to have long NBA careers -- even CV and Bargnani, while arguably  'busts' relative to their draft positions, have each at least had a modestly productive career that would have been more than acceptable out of a mid-teens pick.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #85 on: September 16, 2014, 04:13:22 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100

Let's play again!!!

A = Charlie Villanueva
B= Olynyk
C= Andrea Bargnani

That was exactly his point. I swear some people just love jumping on others without understanding the point. His point was that using a player's rookie season to judge anything is ridiculously dumb as evidenced by the rookie season's of other players. Exactly the same as your point. He wasn't saying Olynyk will be Dirk or Smith or Sullinger or whatever.

Some people don't even know when they are agreeing with each other.  ;)

« Reply #86 on: September 16, 2014, 05:17:26 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
IMHO Kelly will end up just like Al Jefferson. Will get traded for a star player in a year or two, and afterwards slowly develop into a borderline all star player
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #87 on: September 16, 2014, 05:23:20 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
IMHO Kelly will end up just like Al Jefferson. Will get traded for a star player in a year or two, and afterwards slowly develop into a borderline all star player

Jefferson absolutely should've made the All Star team last year.

« Reply #88 on: September 16, 2014, 05:57:30 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2501

If Kelly gets traded for the 2015 equivalent of KG, that will work for me!

If my memory is correct about Big Al, it felt like we struck gold right out of the gate.  Even though it took a couple of years of seasoning for him to make a substantial impact, Al had moves right out of HS that left C's fans universally smiling.  After year 3 for Al (at Kelly's age now), I think everyone projected him as a future all-star.   I don't think there is the same consensus at this point in their respective careers about their future.  KO projects as a good rotation player whereas people were talking about very big things for Big Al.

« Reply #89 on: September 16, 2014, 06:10:42 PM »

Offline cb8883

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 52
I gave myself whiplash from shaking my head so much at this nonsense.

If Giannis was a sure superstar or even remotely considered to have the potential to be a superstar, he would have been at the top of that weak draft.  the fact many other teams also passed on him should tell you that athleticism means nothing without skill.  Since athleticism means so much to you, you must still be praising the 2 prime picks Danny went with athleticism over skill in Gerald Green and JR Giddens.  2 incredibly athletic players that bombed miserably in the league. 

KO showed a lot more last year than Giannis.  I personally wanted Dieng and wasn't happy he traded to move up to get KO but after watching him play last year, I'm not totally irritated now.  Still would take KO and Dieng over Giannis if I had a chance to redraft.

I don't know about you but I would kill to have G-Money back here. He was an exciting player to watch. I feel the roster needs to be developed with homegrown talent. I just wish they made the right choice and selected the Greek Freak. He's going to be far and away the best player from that draft.