Author Topic: Kelly Olynyk is a Bust!! Where is all the hype coming from??  (Read 41433 times)

Re: Kelly Olynyk is a Bust!! Where is all the hype coming from??
« Reply #45 on: September 14, 2014, 09:16:26 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
He isn't a bust after one year. He performed pretty solidly for a 13th overall pick last year. Showed a unique offensive skill set for a big man, still has ways to go defensively but he'll improve somewhat over time, I'm sure. He also performed incredibly well when he got starting minutes at the end of the year. If he's ever paired with a great defensive big man, they could wreak havoc. At worst, Kelly is probably just a solid role player. He may not ever be anything special, but he's not a bust, especially after just one season.

Someone like Nerlens Noel (or even Timofey Mozgov) would be perfect. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #46 on: September 14, 2014, 09:20:16 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
The problem with the Dirk comparison is that Dirk is a member of the master race.

KO is a Canadian.

I'm really hoping that this is sarcasm.
I'm sure it is. Just a lil jab at Canada.

I'll never understand all of the jokes made at Canada's expense.  Did this start with South Park, or was it before then?

« Reply #47 on: September 14, 2014, 09:52:50 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
What if he's a better-shooting version of Boris Diaw?  Think about it - both guys are defensive liabilities, can play inside and out (although that's not Diaw's strength), and, perhaps most importantly, they're both great passers.  Wasn't Diaw also a guard when he was younger?  I thought that I heard that somewhere.

Olynyk's height can't be underestimated.  It pushes his potential to a higher point.  Having those skills already at 7 feet is a big positive.

He reminds me of Vlade, but with range and a bit more scoring.  That's my hope at least as he keeps going.  High level passing out of a big is great in any package, but with a guy that can shoot too, it really starts opening up the floor.  In my opinion there is plenty to be optimistic about.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #48 on: September 14, 2014, 10:32:18 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
What if he's a better-shooting version of Boris Diaw?  Think about it - both guys are defensive liabilities, can play inside and out (although that's not Diaw's strength), and, perhaps most importantly, they're both great passers.  Wasn't Diaw also a guard when he was younger?  I thought that I heard that somewhere.

Olynyk's height can't be underestimated.  It pushes his potential to a higher point.  Having those skills already at 7 feet is a big positive.

He reminds me of Vlade, but with range and a bit more scoring.  That's my hope at least as he keeps going.  High level passing out of a big is great in any package, but with a guy that can shoot too, it really starts opening up the floor.  In my opinion there is plenty to be optimistic about.

If he turned into Vlade, that would be awesome, but didn't Divac play in the post as well as out on the perimeter?  KO has better range, but Vlade could block shots, and was quite nimble iirc.  I'm not saying that it can't happen, but Olynyk isn't exactly a force defensively.  Of course, neither was Vlade, but you get my point, right? 

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2014, 12:18:42 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
The title to this thread is funny. As if Olynyk was a high pick.  Guy was barely a lotto pick who was traded for 2nd rounders and a project pick/player. If Olynyk becomes a steady rotation big that would be a decent pick not a bust.

« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2014, 01:09:53 AM »

Offline crimson_stallion

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 875
Many people on here seems to think KO is one of the best young prospects our team have, and some even made the ridicules comparison with Dirk Nowitzki.  To me this player hasn't showed any any part of his game that stood out to me, while having many glaring weaknesses on defense and rebounding.  3pt shot is what many considers to be his best attribute but he shot 35% while making only .6 per game.  Can someone please help me understand the hype and how KO is different from a below average player like Andrea Bargnani?

You clearly hevent watched him play late in the season,  nor looked at his stats.

His rebounding was actually excellent for the number of minuted he played (aveeaged around 9.5 Rebounds per 36), especially his offensive rebounding where he ranked near the top of the league on a per minute basis.

He also showed exceptional passing skills,  a very nice the point shot, and an impressive ability to put the ball on the floor and drive to the basket. 

Those are rare skills for a 7 footer.

Is his defense poor? Yes.  Is his post game outstanding?  No.  Same can be said for similar style players like Kevin love and Dirk.

« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2014, 03:02:01 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
The problem with the Dirk comparison is that Dirk is a member of the master race.

KO is a Canadian.

I'm really hoping that this is sarcasm.
I'm sure it is. Just a lil jab at Canada.

It's not a jab at Germany and/or the German people? 

« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2014, 05:06:10 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545

KO is a Canadian.

Filthy console players.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2014, 06:29:11 AM »

Offline sammy33773377

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 4
Here's a little comparison:

Player A:
MIN     FGM-A    FG%  3P%  FT%    OR   DR   REB   AST   BLK   STL   TO   PTS
20.4     2.9-7.1   .405   .206    .773    0.9   2.6   3.4   1.0   0.6   0.6   1.6   8.2

Player B:
MIN   FGM-A     FG%   3P%   FT%   OR   DR   REB   AST   BLK   STL   TO   PTS
20.0  3.3-7.2    .466   .351   .811   2.0   3.2   5.2   1.6   0.4   0.5   1.5   8.7

Player A? Nowitzki's rookie year. And of course player B is KO. Now, I'm not saying that means KO will end up being the next Dirk, but after Dirk's rookie year, would you have pegged him as one of the best players in the NBA in a few years or as a bust? If you're going to use Dirk as your comparison for KO's bust status, then do a little homework and see that at least after year one, KO isn't doing too bad.

« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2014, 06:35:13 AM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
KO has a chance to be an excellent player in this league. Great ball handling skills for a big man and a just plain smart player.  He may not be an all-star but should be a solid contributor.

« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2014, 09:03:25 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
He still moves kind of clunky out there at times.  If he can smooth that out as he matures and gets naturally stronger he can be a really good player.

« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2014, 02:27:03 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
The OP clearly did ZERO research before making this thread,  thats OK I've done the same thing.

« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2014, 02:53:01 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Main reason this thread is a bust:

Olynyk wasn't drafted high enough to be called a bust based on his current performance. His performance was also fine for a rookie. From his draft position (in a weak draft), being a career contributor off the bench would be enough to say he was not a bust.

Second reason this thread is a bust:

Who is hyping Olynyk? Most people just view him as serviceable.

« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2014, 02:59:26 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

You need to question your analysis anytime you compare a mediocre young player to a great retired player and the only differences you mention is what the young player is better at. That makes no sense.

How do you compare them without talking about the post game? Is passing all you considered?

« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2014, 03:14:37 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
Main reason this thread is a bust:

Olynyk wasn't drafted high enough to be called a bust based on his current performance. His performance was also fine for a rookie. From his draft position (in a weak draft), being a career contributor off the bench would be enough to say he was not a bust.

Second reason this thread is a bust:

Who is hyping Olynyk? Most people just view him as serviceable.

For the most part, I agree with you.  I think KO has been 'hyped' as a little more than seviceable, but I think that depends on how you define serviceable.  I think most people's expectations for KO is at about the Raef LaFrentz level. Some want/expect more, but I think most will be satisfied if he gives provides 14/8/2 at his peak; and some think he'll be less than that.   I think those offensive stats are a very reasonable expectation and would certainly not signify a bust at his draft position.   

The OP missed on both the bust comment and the hype comment.