Author Topic: Kelly Olynyk is a Bust!! Where is all the hype coming from??  (Read 41421 times)

Re: Kelly Olynyk is a Bust!! Where is all the hype coming from??
« Reply #90 on: September 16, 2014, 06:36:34 PM »

Offline ge

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
Suggesting that Olynyk could be compared with Al Jefferson or Dirk Nowitzki is as lame as suggesting that KO had a greater impact than Giannis last year or as suggesting that KO has more potential than him. I guess some people only have time to see just the top 10 highlights when we are speaking about other teams and players not in Celtics uniform or they are just bad at making judgements. Antetokounmpo can really play and he is learning fast. He might not be a superstar but he will be a special player in the league. Most GMs just did wrong as did Ainge. There is no way these people should be considered infallible. I had Antetokounmpo 1st in my draft list, ahead of Noel and had Dieng as 3rd, and that was months before the draft. KO could be a nice backup/role player for the right team though but we blew it. Thankfully we did the right thing and selected Smart this year.

« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2014, 08:03:25 PM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
Ok, I might be stretching a little bit calling him a busts right now. But no one has yet to explain why he is deserving of the hype.  He doesn't posses the potential to develop any elite skill in his repertoire while being a not very well rounded player either with glaring weakness in defense and athleticism.  Somebody said his strength is passing, but this skill on a PF has the potential to make only minimal impact in a game, his stats last year was 1.6ast/1.5TO.  Everything about this player says career bench player, Jared Sullinger is the superior PF asset on this team.

What hype???  to be honest with you all I've read is mass confusion as to what direction we're going in this year!!!

« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2014, 08:44:20 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Suggesting that Olynyk could be compared with Al Jefferson or Dirk Nowitzki is as lame as suggesting that KO had a greater impact than Giannis last year or as suggesting that KO has more potential than him. I guess some people only have time to see just the top 10 highlights when we are speaking about other teams and players not in Celtics uniform or they are just bad at making judgements. Antetokounmpo can really play and he is learning fast. He might not be a superstar but he will be a special player in the league. Most GMs just did wrong as did Ainge. There is no way these people should be considered infallible. I had Antetokounmpo 1st in my draft list, ahead of Noel and had Dieng as 3rd, and that was months before the draft. KO could be a nice backup/role player for the right team though but we blew it. Thankfully we did the right thing and selected Smart this year.

I'm seriously beginning to believe GA is becoming massively overrated

« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2014, 08:55:23 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
For everyone who's making the KO to Dirk comparison, especially because of their similar stats, I think that it needs to be pointed out how KO was 22 in his rookie season, while Dirk was 20.  Yes, Nowitzki played international ball, but he was still younger.  Of course, Olynyk was also red-shirted at Gonzaga, but the comparison to Dirk would hold more water if they had been the same age, in addition to the fact that Nowitzki was faster, quicker, and considerably more athletic at 22 than KO is now.

« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2014, 09:11:31 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
KO is a pretty big bust and another blemish on Ainge's drafting record. How do you pass up on the future Superstar like the Greek Freak? How?! Then he follows that up with Marcus Banks 2.0 and James Young who will play in the D-League for two years and then head overseas to have a decent career coming off the bench in Israel.

There is no evidence that GA is going to be a superstar. None.

He's more likely to be a bust if anything.....

You guys have seen him play, right?

Insofar as I've had the misfortune of watching what the Bucks continue to masquerade around as basketball yeah. I get it -- the dude is a physical abnormality, even in the NBA, and he's extraordinarily young. Potential is off the charts. So on and so forth.

But, uh, he's no Anthony Davis.

He obviously has potential but right now he reminds me of Anthony Randolph.  Giant potential that is evident but certainly not there yet as a player, even though some will say otherwise.

Like with Randolph, I think the potential is legit, but also he isn't there yet.  Some will jump the gun.  And Randolph never got there of course.

Personally I feel like KO's skill level is a very safe bet to figure on developing and keeping him as an effective player as he goes forward but obviously some disagree.

Anthony Randolph?  That guy doesn't even play the same position, nor does his skill level even remotely compare to the GA's.  Have you seen his passing and defense?  I know he's raw, but it looks like he has Durant's body (who also happens to be his favorite player) with Paul George's play making ability.  Now, admittedly, he isn't the shooter that either of those two guys are, but he's a hard worker, humble, quiet, and he looks like the real deal.  Watching him play with Rondo would have been fun, and a core of Rondo, Bradley (with Smart as the 3rd guard to start), Giannis, and Sullinger would have been awesome, but alas, it was not to be.  Sigh.  That core would be even better if we could have traded Sully to the Lakers for Randle, or at least for their pick prior to the draft, but I digress.

« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2014, 09:17:25 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I'm seriously beginning to believe GA is becoming massively overrated

;D  Seriously.  "Where is all the hype coming from??"

I was very interested in GA pre-draft and I still like him, but I'm struggling to figure out by what measure -- stats, eye test, whatever -- that anyone could think that he had a more notable rookie season than Olynyk.

Other than total minutes played, he trailed Olynyk in almost every significant statistical category and barely edged him in the few that he did lead in.  Olynyk out-scored and out-rebounded GA by significant margins, shot more efficiently, wracked up way more win-shares in far fewer minutes and essentially tied him in assists.

I guess the hype is all based on untapped upside?
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2014, 09:22:32 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
For everyone who's making the KO to Dirk comparison, especially because of their similar stats, I think that it needs to be pointed out how KO was 22 in his rookie season, while Dirk was 20.  Yes, Nowitzki played international ball, but he was still younger.  Of course, Olynyk was also red-shirted at Gonzaga, but the comparison to Dirk would hold more water if they had been the same age, in addition to the fact that Nowitzki was faster, quicker, and considerably more athletic at 22 than KO is now.

Yeah.  Kevin O'Connor instead compares him to 23 year-old Dirk on the front page:

http://www.celticsblog.com/2014/9/16/6154241/kelly-olynyk-rookie-year-put-him-in-good-company-in-nba-history-boston-celtics-gonzaga

Look -- none of these early statistical comparisons mean KO is going to become "The Next Dirk(tm)" or the next anything.

But they do suggest pretty strongly that he's not likely a bust.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2014, 10:41:24 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
KO is a pretty big bust and another blemish on Ainge's drafting record. How do you pass up on the future Superstar like the Greek Freak? How?! Then he follows that up with Marcus Banks 2.0 and James Young who will play in the D-League for two years and then head overseas to have a decent career coming off the bench in Israel.

Insofar as I've had the misfortune of watching what the Bucks continue to masquerade around as basketball yeah. I get it -- the dude is a physical abnormality, even in the NBA, and he's extraordinarily young. Potential is off the charts. So on and so forth.

He obviously has potential but right now he reminds me of Anthony Randolph.  Giant potential that is evident but certainly not there yet as a player, even though some will say otherwise.

Like with Randolph, I think the potential is legit, but also he isn't there yet.  Some will jump the gun.  And Randolph never got there of course.

Personally I feel like KO's skill level is a very safe bet to figure on developing and keeping him as an effective player as he goes forward but obviously some disagree.

Anthony Randolph?  That guy doesn't even play the same position, nor does his skill level even remotely compare to the GA's.  Have you seen his passing and defense?  I know he's raw, but it looks like he has Durant's body (who also happens to be his favorite player) with Paul George's play making ability.  Now, admittedly, he isn't the shooter that either of those two guys are, but he's a hard worker, humble, quiet, and he looks like the real deal.  Watching him play with Rondo would have been fun, and a core of Rondo, Bradley (with Smart as the 3rd guard to start), Giannis, and Sullinger would have been awesome, but alas, it was not to be.  Sigh.  That core would be even better if we could have traded Sully to the Lakers for Randle, or at least for their pick prior to the draft, but I digress.

You dramatically misunderstood his point.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2014, 11:33:54 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

You dramatically misunderstood his point.

No, I understood that he was talking about another young guy who was raw with a similar body type who was drafted more on upside than what he had shown in college, but Giannis has actual skills, in addition to a huge amount of potential.  Am I back on track now? ;D

« Reply #99 on: September 16, 2014, 11:47:02 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I gave myself whiplash from shaking my head so much at this nonsense.

If Giannis was a sure superstar or even remotely considered to have the potential to be a superstar, he would have been at the top of that weak draft.  the fact many other teams also passed on him should tell you that athleticism means nothing without skill.  Since athleticism means so much to you, you must still be praising the 2 prime picks Danny went with athleticism over skill in Gerald Green and JR Giddens.  2 incredibly athletic players that bombed miserably in the league. 

KO showed a lot more last year than Giannis.  I personally wanted Dieng and wasn't happy he traded to move up to get KO but after watching him play last year, I'm not totally irritated now.  Still would take KO and Dieng over Giannis if I had a chance to redraft.

I think Olynyk is anything but a bust. He had a great first year.
He's going to have a different development path given that he's still getting used to playing with his size and height- even at his advanced age. I think we won't see Olynyk at his full potential for another 3-4 years.
His footwork is what excites me. I'd also like to see more of his dribble drive game which I think we'll see as he works his way toward becoming more of a stretch forward. I don't know if he'll be a borderline all star but he might be. So many things have to go right with these guys it's too hard to predict.

I do disagree with you about Giannis though. In most re-drafts he's the clear number one pick given his age and skillset- he's a potential hall of famer. I think he's still only 18 years old so he's 5 years younger than Olynyk. That's a looonnnng time until he's only 23 years old.
Part of the reason I like Noah Vonleh so much.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2014, 12:33:08 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo

If Giannis was a sure superstar or even remotely considered to have the potential to be a superstar, he would have been at the top of that weak draft.  the fact many other teams also passed on him should tell you that athleticism means nothing without skill.  Since athleticism means so much to you, you must still be praising the 2 prime picks Danny went with athleticism over skill in Gerald Green and JR Giddens.  2 incredibly athletic players that bombed miserably in the league. 

KO showed a lot more last year than Giannis.  I personally wanted Dieng and wasn't happy he traded to move up to get KO but after watching him play last year, I'm not totally irritated now.  Still would take KO and Dieng over Giannis if I had a chance to redraft.

He's going to have a different development path given that he's still getting used to playing with his size and height- even at his advanced age. I think we won't see Olynyk at his full potential for another 3-4 years.
His footwork is what excites me. I'd also like to see more of his dribble drive game which I think we'll see as he works his way toward becoming more of a stretch forward. I don't know if he'll be a borderline all star but he might be. So many things have to go right with these guys it's too hard to predict.

I do disagree with you about Giannis though. In most re-drafts he's the clear number one pick given his age and skillset- he's a potential hall of famer. I think he's still only 18 years old so he's 5 years younger than Olynyk. That's a looonnnng time until he's only 23 years old.

Like he said if Giannis has superstar potential, he would've gone first in a very weak draft. Giannis a potential hall of famer really?! If Giannis is HOF then Olynyk is an NBA legend.

« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2014, 12:48:18 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
He's a one way player off the bench on a playoff team. /story.
His ceiling is what you have seen, with more minutes... he's cerebral and talented, no doubt... what he lacks is the athleticism that limited him before he even got to this level.

Sully has a far shot at being an all-star, health pending. KO will never reach that level.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2014, 01:27:53 AM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
Fine I'll give into the Giannis hype. He's the next Pippin, and will lead the Bucks to multiple NBA titles. Danny once again screwed up a draft, will someone please fire him and trade Rondo while you're at it.

« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2014, 01:54:01 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

After the All Star break, sure, especially over the last, what, five or so games, but in the first half of the season he looked like a bust.  He was clearly thinking too much out there, but he definitely wasn't solid all year, even when you factor in the typical rookie learning curve, which, frankly, after his showing in the sl, I don't think anyone expected, but it happens.

« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2014, 02:20:57 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.

Like he said if Giannis has superstar potential, he would've gone first in a very weak draft. Giannis a potential hall of famer really?! If Giannis is HOF then Olynyk is an NBA legend.

Like I said, if you look at the re-mocks of the 2013 draft, Giannis moves to either the number 1 pick or a top 3 pick as a consensus vote. Kelly Olynyk stays the same, or moves backwards slightly- although I think Olynyk should be able to work his way into the top 6 players of that draft with some decent playing time and some work on his defense.
Olynyk is great, but he's not anywhere near the prospect of Giannis.
Again, we're talking about a significant difference in age and development potential- if you can't see that then that's your problem.

If you ran a poll on this website or on a general NBA website and asked fans which player they would have rather selected I think you'd find in favor of Giannis by at least 70-30%, probably more.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.