Author Topic: Kelly Olynyk is a Bust!! Where is all the hype coming from??  (Read 41504 times)

Re: Kelly Olynyk is a Bust!! Where is all the hype coming from??
« Reply #30 on: September 14, 2014, 09:50:35 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
The problem with the Dirk comparison is that Dirk is a member of the master race.

KO is a Canadian.

I'm really hoping that this is sarcasm.
I'm sure it is. Just a lil jab at Canada.

« Reply #31 on: September 14, 2014, 09:54:00 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Still a little early to tell

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2014, 10:26:55 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It looked in SL like he had been working on his body.  I think if he gets stronger, it will help his confidence and he will play less timid, which was a problem for him at times.   He can do things most bigs can't do well in shooting the three and he is good passer.   Alas, he also can not do what many bigs can do well and that is block shots and rebound.    I have always thought he has more upside than Sully.   Sully came into the league pretty skilled and could contribute solidly from day one but I think as was said here, he has more room to grow.

« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2014, 10:31:06 AM »

Offline Meadowlark_Scal

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 670
  • You say when......
OR, maybe the team will actually try to use him as he is supposed to be. He already put up 30 points SHOOTING from the perimeter....but He should be getting set up in the post..with sully rebounding the other side.....THAT is how you use a 7 footer like him. But ONE play is not how it works. You need to work on post play REAL time.....yes, practice, but only game time is what makes it. He has the skills...the Celtics tried this how many times..? NEVER. KO only gets used as a high screen, then NEVER gets a pass. If you haven't seen this, you haven't been watching. How many guys score without ever getting a pass..? Sully maybe, not many others.

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2014, 10:53:58 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Many people on here seems to think KO is one of the best young prospects our team have, and some even made the ridicules comparison with Dirk Nowitzki.  To me this player hasn't showed any any part of his game that stood out to me, while having many glaring weaknesses on defense and rebounding.  3pt shot is what many considers to be his best attribute but he shot 35% while making only .6 per game.  Can someone please help me understand the hype and how KO is different from a below average player like Andrea Bargnani?

His rebounding is above average for a pf, and about 50% better than Bargnani's. He gets about twice as many assists as Bargs. His 3p% was 28% before the all-star break and 43% after it, so there's a good chance that his overall number was affected by a settling in period. Even still, it was close to league average and better than average for pfs. Also, most bigs don't play good defense right out of the blocks and improve in that area over their first few years.

Did I miss anything?

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2014, 11:06:14 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Many people on here seems to think KO is one of the best young prospects our team have, and some even made the ridicules comparison with Dirk Nowitzki.  To me this player hasn't showed any any part of his game that stood out to me, while having many glaring weaknesses on defense and rebounding.  3pt shot is what many considers to be his best attribute but he shot 35% while making only .6 per game.  Can someone please help me understand the hype and how KO is different from a below average player like Andrea Bargnani?

His rebounding is above average for a pf, and about 50% better than Bargnani's. He gets about twice as many assists as Bargs. His 3p% was 28% before the all-star break and 43% after it, so there's a good chance that his overall number was affected by a settling in period. Even still, it was close to league average and better than average for pfs. Also, most bigs don't play good defense right out of the blocks and improve in that area over their first few years.

Did I miss anything?
and by all accounts olly is very coachable, willing to learn, and has a higher bb IQ.

olly is good offensively and looks as if he will get better. defense? its up to CBS to figure a way to hide/mask olly's limitations.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2014, 12:33:15 PM »

Offline bostonsportsforlife

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 23
He isn't a bust after one year. He performed pretty solidly for a 13th overall pick last year. Showed a unique offensive skill set for a big man, still has ways to go defensively but he'll improve somewhat over time, I'm sure. He also performed incredibly well when he got starting minutes at the end of the year. If he's ever paired with a great defensive big man, they could wreak havoc. At worst, Kelly is probably just a solid role player. He may not ever be anything special, but he's not a bust, especially after just one season.

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2014, 01:51:31 PM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
The problem with the Dirk comparison is that Dirk is a member of the master race.

KO is a Canadian.

bro plz tell me ur joking
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

« Reply #38 on: September 14, 2014, 02:00:33 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

KO is a Canadian.

bro plz tell me ur joking

No, seriously, KO really is Canadian.

« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2014, 03:55:50 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I'm optimistic about KO and Co this season.

Looking forward to his, Sully and Smart's opportunity. Looking forward to seeing BOS compete in many games, a few upsets, and a playoff berth - if everyone stays healthy.

Looking forward to Rondo regaining All-Star prominence.

KO's going to cause some matchup issues on some nights. He plays the game with his head.

« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2014, 05:44:13 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
If you expect him to be the second coming of Dirk then he is definitely a bust. The thing is no one expects him to be! Sure some elements of his game are similar to Dirk`s (but not at the same level) and since he has just finished his rookie season everyone expects him to go a little further this season as everyone does with any rookie that has shown something significant.

But no one expects him to lead the Celtics

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2014, 06:56:05 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
KO is the absolute last thing from a bust.  Go look up the 7 big men taken ahead of him in the draft and you'll quickly see KO had a better rookie season then all of them.

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2014, 07:08:26 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
is this based on anything real? He's no Dirk, but then again Dirk is arguably top-25 all time for his career.

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2014, 07:28:01 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
What if he's a better-shooting version of Boris Diaw?  Think about it - both guys are defensive liabilities, can play inside and out (although that's not Diaw's strength), and, perhaps most importantly, they're both great passers.  Wasn't Diaw also a guard when he was younger?  I thought that I heard that somewhere.

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2014, 07:36:42 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
What if he's a better-shooting version of Boris Diaw?  Think about it - both guys are defensive liabilities, can play inside and out (although that's not Diaw's strength), and, perhaps most importantly, they're both great passers.  Wasn't Diaw also a guard when he was younger?  I thought that I heard that somewhere.

KO already has rebounded at 1.62 times the rate that Diaw has in his career, and he's scored at 1.38 times Diaw's rate (career, per 36). Diaw's been a better assist man; they've blocked at the same rate. They've had identical rookie and career defensive ratings (107). And yes, KO has so far been more of a pure shooter.