Author Topic: Kelly Olynyk is a Bust!! Where is all the hype coming from??  (Read 41424 times)

Kelly Olynyk is a Bust!! Where is all the hype coming from??
« on: September 13, 2014, 06:16:26 PM »

Offline KingofDaPlayazBall

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
Many people on here seems to think KO is one of the best young prospects our team have, and some even made the ridicules comparison with Dirk Nowitzki.  To me this player hasn't showed any any part of his game that stood out to me, while having many glaring weaknesses on defense and rebounding.  3pt shot is what many considers to be his best attribute but he shot 35% while making only .6 per game.  Can someone please help me understand the hype and how KO is different from a below average player like Andrea Bargnani?

Re: Kelly Olynyk is a Bust!! Where is all the hype coming from??
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 06:25:02 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Better passer and play maker off the dribble than Bargani . I think his ceiling is a Ryan Anderson type stretch big man, or Reaf LaFrentz.

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 06:27:07 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Do you mean Ryan Anderson?

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 06:28:46 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 06:30:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Hey. I predicted a KO bust out when he was drafted and even I have to admit the kid doesn't look like a bust. I don't understand you questioning his rebounding, he is quite a good rebounder. His defense will be his downfall but he looks at worst to be a decent offensive off the bench role player and at best maybe a Kevin Love lite type player

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 06:38:32 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
lol can we at least wait to see our All-Star PG running this team again before we call anyone a bust?

KO is trending up quite nicely.

Let's hold off on the Sully Fat jokes..Rondo can't shoot...AB can't dribble...JG is soft...labels until at least ASB. :)

Give our team an opportunity to compete at least.

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 06:50:57 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
The problem with the Dirk comparison is that Dirk is a member of the master race.

KO is a Canadian.

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 06:53:11 PM »

Offline sahara

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 84
Let KO do KO. You troll.

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 07:13:30 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
The problem with the Dirk comparison is that Dirk is a member of the master race.

KO is a Canadian.

yikes
Greg

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 07:14:32 PM »

• Payton Pritchard
Ok, I might be stretching a little bit calling him a busts right now. But no one has yet to explain why he is deserving of the hype.  He doesn't posses the potential to develop any elite skill in his repertoire while being a not very well rounded player either with glaring weakness in defense and athleticism.  Somebody said his strength is passing, but this skill on a PF has the potential to make only minimal impact in a game, his stats last year was 1.6ast/1.5TO.  Everything about this player says career bench player, Jared Sullinger is the superior PF asset on this team.

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 07:26:15 PM »

Offline puskas54_10

• Derrick White

KO is a Canadian.

Are you dumb? LOL at the master race.

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 07:30:06 PM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
Not sure what basketball you watch where 7 footers have the skills in ball handling, passing, and shooting Olynyk has on the floor.

He has a ton of potential because he already has these skills few players his size have even two of.  Does he do them at elite levels yet?  Maybe not, but I think it's clear to see him getting there very soon.

His rebounding is certainly no worse than average, and as for defense, I think he can be solid.  I don't ever see him as a plus defender, but is Dirk?  He will have weaknesses in his game.  I really like him as a super versatile big on the offensive end.

Not as good as Dirk is a bust?  That's the measurement?

As to a Sully comparison, I think Sully would be head of Olynyk right now for me but not by too much because of Olynyk's height and also how valuable bigs with his type of skills are in the NBA right now.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 07:39:44 PM »

• Payton Pritchard
Not sure what basketball you watch where 7 footers have the skills in ball handling, passing, and shooting Olynyk has on the floor.

He has a ton of potential because he already has these skills few players his size have even two of.  Does he do them at elite levels yet?  Maybe not, but I think it's clear to see him getting there very soon.

His rebounding is certainly no worse than average, and as for defense, I think he can be solid.  I don't ever see him as a plus defender, but is Dirk?  He will have weaknesses in his game.  I really like him as a super versatile big on the offensive end.

Not as good as Dirk is a bust?  That's the measurement?

7 footer with skills in ball handling, passing, and shooting? first of all KO is not great at any of those skills, but he is above the average 7footer.  but also he lacks the attribute the average 7footer brings such as Defense, rebounding, and low post scoring. He plays like a 6'8 small forward and comparing to them his handling, passing, and shooting is average at best.  Again I am bringing up Andrea Bargnini, KO doesn't even look like he's better than him

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 07:42:49 PM »

Offline rondoallaturca

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 350
  • DKC Memphis Grizzlies
What is this hype you speak of? No one in the league is thinking Kelly Olynyk when they go down their list of top prospects in the league. A lot of people have differing opinions about Kelly's ceiling and basement, but the general consensus is that he'll culminate as a solid rotation player. From what we've seen so far, that seems very reasonable.

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 08:10:57 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
KO averaged 13.2 boards per 48 after the AS game of his rookie year. He doesn't have a "weakness" in rebounding, and if he continues to get stronger he has the potential to be a very good rebounder.

He also shot .426 from the 3 after the AS game of his rookie year. That's elite for any position, let alone a PF.

Jeesh!