Author Topic: Sullinger and Ray Rice  (Read 24555 times)

Re: Sullinger and Ray Rice
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2014, 12:16:08 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
If I remember correctly (and I'm not sure I do) Sully quickly proclaimed his innocence, the Celts suspended him a few games, his girlfriend quickly dropped charges, making it virtually impossible to do anything, and it wasn't entirely that he hit her, but that he grabbed her and destroyed her phone or something.

I wanted him traded and still do, but I can somewhat understand why maybe a lot of people disagree with me.

Correct and agreed.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2014, 12:17:10 PM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 34
When did reading comprehension become such an elusive skill on this board?

Really, you have to insult people because you don't agree with someone? Go ahead insult me, I'm not going to insult you.

« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2014, 12:18:57 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
  The part where you completely misunderstood his post. He was comparing the Sully incident to the Rice incident. Trying to get from there to "Does someone have to be knocked out unconscious for it to be considered "actual" domestic violence" is ridiculous. It's about on the level of my claiming that people complaining about domestic violence against women mean they don't think that violence against children is a problem. Or maybe that's what you think?

Ridiculous really? He said I was being black and white and his initial comment was black and white. Not really sure what you are insinuating with you example? What does complaining about one thing have to do with a whole 'nother issue. We are all speaking on domestic violence (mostly against women). I assuming he thinks Sully is in the clear because he didn't knock her out like Rice (or at least didn't have video showing it)

I'm not sure how "these situations aren't the same" means "Sully is in the clear". Claiming that a comment about how one case of domestic violence can be worse than another automatically means that you don't think that anything less than the worse case is domestic violence is, in fact, ridiculous.

« Reply #33 on: September 13, 2014, 12:19:40 PM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
If the title was comparing Greg Oden and Ray Rice there might be some more productive responses.

Greg currently doesn't play for an NBA team. So that would be the NBAs out.

I think you really missed the point on magent's Greg Oden comment.  It was because of the similarity of the act of violence.  Oden was reported to have punched his ex-gf in the face.  The same exact thing Ray Rice did.

We are talking about how sports orgs respond to domestic violence. So he really wouldn't apply.

« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2014, 12:23:44 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Where on earth does he say that someone has to be knocked out for it to be DV?  I think you def. misread his post.

That was his initial response. What else can be inferred by that comment? Why did that comment have to the with the OP? Since Sully didn't KO his girlfriend (at least not on tape), he was was not as bad as Rice. What did you get from it?

His initial response wasn't "someone has to be knocked out for it to be DV". You seem to be stumbling upon a more reasonable inference later in your post (what Sully did wasn't as bad as what Rice did). That doesn't at all imply that what Sully did shouldn't be considered DV.

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2014, 12:23:48 PM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White

I'm not sure how "these situations aren't the same" means "Sully is in the clear". Claiming that a comment about how one case of domestic violence can be worse than another automatically means that you don't think that anything less than the worse case is domestic violence is, in fact, ridiculous.

Okay, lemme see if I put it this way. Its not about the severity of the situation. It's about how Sully was disciplined by the NBA and the Celtics. He got ,what, 2 games out of an 82 game season? Even if the case was dropped because his girlfriend pulled out, the NBA and it's teams need to show they take the issue seriously with harsher punishments.

Do you get what I am saying now?

« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2014, 12:23:50 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1474
Where on earth does he say that someone has to be knocked out for it to be DV?  I think you def. misread his post.

That was his initial response. What else can be inferred by that comment? Why did that comment have to the with the OP? Since Sully didn't KO his girlfriend (at least not on tape), he was was not as bad as Rice. What did you get from it?

I think he was saying that there are greatly different levels of violence in what Sully did versus what Ray Rice did.  And thus the whole premise of this thread was a bit off.  That is why he made the statement about levels of grey.  That is why magent said a better comparison would  be Greg Oden.  No where did he say that what Sully did was ok.  I am not trying to insult anyone.  Sorry you got upset. 

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2014, 12:26:12 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
  The part where you completely misunderstood his post. He was comparing the Sully incident to the Rice incident. Trying to get from there to "Does someone have to be knocked out unconscious for it to be considered "actual" domestic violence" is ridiculous. It's about on the level of my claiming that people complaining about domestic violence against women mean they don't think that violence against children is a problem. Or maybe that's what you think?

Ridiculous really? He said I was being black and white and his initial comment was black and white. Not really sure what you are insinuating with you example? What does complaining about one thing have to do with a whole 'nother issue. We are all speaking on domestic violence (mostly against women). I assuming he thinks Sully is in the clear because he didn't knock her out like Rice (or at least didn't have video showing it)

The original comment wasn't black and white at all, your interpretation of it was.  He was saying that the two issues are not identical, but are different levels of domestic violence, which they are.  You seem to have interpreted it as "he doesn't think that Sully's case was domestic violence because he sees a difference between it and Ray Rice's incident"

DV has different levels.  Knocking your wife out, or visibly abusing your son are not on the same level as Sully's incident.  Should he have been punished more?  Absolutely.  But is the incident the same as Ray Rice's?  No, and saying it is is doing a disservice to Ray's wife
I'm bitter.

« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2014, 12:28:37 PM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
  His initial response wasn't "someone has to be knocked out for it to be DV". You seem to be stumbling upon a more reasonable inference later in your post (what Sully did wasn't as bad as what Rice did). That doesn't at all imply that what Sully did shouldn't be considered DV.

I was using a debate tactic. To try to understand why he wrote what he initially wrote. You know, like you did with the child abuse thing. His initial response was, in my opinion, dismissing the OP because he missed where Sully KO'd his girl. Never mind that people were outraged by the initial Rice suspension without even seeing how bad vid he abused Janay.

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2014, 12:30:05 PM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White

I think he was saying that there are greatly different levels of violence in what Sully did versus what Ray Rice did.  And thus the whole premise of this thread was a bit off.  That is why he made the statement about levels of grey.  That is why magent said a better comparison would  be Greg Oden.  No where did he say that what Sully did was ok.  I am not trying to insult anyone.  Sorry you got upset.

No upset. Just unsure of why you went there.

« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2014, 12:32:24 PM »

Offline dasani

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 32
I really don't get the point of this thread

I don't either. People knew that domestic abuse was bad before the Ray Rice incident. The Sully incident received plenty of scrutiny.

So, let me get this straight, you wouldn't gently restrain your girlfriend if she went berserk and started slapping and hitting you? Sully made a wise decision and ended the dispute as peacefully as possible. It's just that women tend to over-dramatize.

Pointless thread.

I forgot the portion where Sullinger threw a punch that knocked out his girlfriend.

"domestic abuse " is a fuzzy term and you know it.

Wow with some of these responses. I understand some sports have predominately male fan bases, but some of these responses are just disturbing. No wonder society sweeps this issue under the rug. I hate that a gruesome video finally opened some peoples eyes.

Thank for this tread Desani. What Sullinger (and many other NBA players) have done is unacceptable. Does the NBA even have a domestic violence policy?

But I am not going to expect some Celtics fans to care. Some fans believe their players (esp fav one) can do no wrong. You see this with some Ravens fans.

I wouldn't be surprised if this thread gets locked. ::)

well said.  :). finally someone with sense on here. Yes, many fans of teams think their player can do no wrong. Sullinger did do wrong in this case. Even the FO  suspended him for the opener last year (should have been more games) even though there were no charges. It was a bad look for the team.

« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2014, 12:33:15 PM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
The original comment wasn't black and white at all, your interpretation of it was.  He was saying that the two issues are not identical, but are different levels of domestic violence, which they are.  You seem to have interpreted it as "he doesn't think that Sully's case was domestic violence because he sees a difference between it and Ray Rice's incident"

DV has different levels.  Knocking your wife out, or visibly abusing your son are not on the same level as Sully's incident.  Should he have been punished more?  Absolutely.  But is the incident the same as Ray Rice's?  No, and saying it is is doing a disservice to Ray's wife

It's not an issue of severity to me. It is about the punishment level. The 2 games Sully got implied that it was not a serious issue to the league or the team. Most people thought Ray Rice's initial suspension was weak and that is in a 16 game suspension.

« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2014, 12:34:36 PM »

Offline dasani

• Derrick White
When did reading comprehension become such an elusive skill on this board?

Really, you have to insult people because you don't agree with someone? Go ahead insult me, I'm not going to insult you.
lol, someone named "blink" is trying to insult people on comprehension skills? what a joke. do better "blink". Insults are a cowardly defense. Just like hitting a woman because she "insulted" you. Cowardly.

« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2014, 12:36:17 PM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
well said.  :). finally someone with sense on here. Yes, many fans of teams think their player can do no wrong. Sullinger did do wrong in this case. Even the FO  suspended him for the opener last year (should have been more games) even though there were no charges. It was a bad look for the team.

Wait it was only for the opener? Then that's worse. I agree, there should be some kind of DV policy in the NBA in the wake of the Ray Rice scandal. The NFL has one now (supposedly). The NBA should follow it's lead.

« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2014, 12:36:38 PM »

Offline dasani

• Derrick White

It's not an issue of severity to me. It is about the punishment level. The 2 games Sully got implied that it was not a serious issue to the league or the team. Most people thought Ray Rice's initial suspension was weak and that is in a 16 game suspension.
This. The FO dropped the ball on this one.