Author Topic: Sullinger and Ray Rice  (Read 24574 times)

Re: Sullinger and Ray Rice
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2014, 11:47:59 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I wanted him traded and still do, but I can somewhat understand why maybe a lot of people disagree with me.

Me, too, I think it shows definite characters issues and may explain all those flagrant fouls.  Refs remember.

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2014, 11:50:57 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I really don't get the point of this thread

I don't either. People knew that domestic abuse was bad before the Ray Rice incident. The Sully incident received plenty of scrutiny.

So, let me get this straight, you wouldn't gently restrain your girlfriend if she went berserk and started slapping and hitting you? Sully made a wise decision and ended the dispute as peacefully as possible. It's just that women tend to over-dramatize.

Pointless thread.

I forgot the portion where Sullinger threw a punch that knocked out his girlfriend.

"domestic abuse " is a fuzzy term and you know it.

Wow with some of these responses. I understand some sports have predominately male fan bases, but some of these responses are just disturbing. No wonder society sweeps this issue under the rug. I hate that a gruesome video finally opened some peoples eyes.

Thank for this tread Desani. What Sullinger (and many other NBA players) have done is unacceptable. Does the NBA even have a domestic violence policy?

But I am not going to expect some Celtics fans to care. Some fans believe their players (esp fav one) can do no wrong. You see this with some Ravens fans.

I wouldn't be surprised if this thread gets locked. ::)

I can't speak to the other responses you posted, but the jump from what I posted to "I don't care" or "our players can do no wrong" is fairly absurd.

How about "completely" absurd. No use having a discussing with people who can only see circumstances through a black or white lens.

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2014, 11:52:20 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
So, let me get this straight, you wouldn't gently restrain your girlfriend if she went berserk and started slapping and hitting you? Sully made a wise decision and ended the dispute as peacefully as possible. It's just that women tend to over-dramatize.

Pointless thread.

Wow. I was going to write a really angry response that probably would've gotten me kicked off this thread and then saw you were so embarrassed to have said this that you deleted the post. Shame on you.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2014, 11:55:36 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 34
How about "completely" absurd. No use having a discussing with people who can only see circumstances through a black or white lens.

Weren't you the one who stated "I forgot the portion where Sullinger threw a punch that knocked out his girlfriend."?

Is that only considered domestic violence to you? Does someone have to be knocked out unconscious for it to be considered "actual" domestic violence? That sound pretty B&W to me. Where's the gray area? ???

« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2014, 11:55:51 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I really don't get the point of this thread

I don't either. People knew that domestic abuse was bad before the Ray Rice incident. The Sully incident received plenty of scrutiny.

Pointless thread.

I forgot the portion where Sullinger threw a punch that knocked out his girlfriend.

"domestic abuse " is a fuzzy term and you know it.

Wow with some of these responses. I understand some sports have predominately male fan bases, but some of these responses are just disturbing. No wonder society sweeps this issue under the rug. I hate that a gruesome video finally opened some peoples eyes.

Thank for this tread Desani. What Sullinger (and many other NBA players) have done is unacceptable. Does the NBA even have a domestic violence policy?

But I am not going to expect some Celtics fans to care. Some fans believe their players (esp fav one) can do no wrong. You see this with some Ravens fans.

I wouldn't be surprised if this thread gets locked. ::)
I don't think anyone is saying DV should be swept under the rug.

If the title was comparing Greg Oden and Ray Rice there might be some more productive responses.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2014, 11:56:55 AM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479

I agree with this.  The apparent level of violence wasn't the same between the two cases.  Lumping Sullinger's actions w/ Ray Rice doesn't seem fair, and at best is over simplifying an already murky situation.   

I don't get the point of the thread either really.  Are you trying to say that Sully should have been kicked off the team, or had a longer suspension, or some other action?  If so, there are a lot of threads already for that discussion.

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2014, 12:00:39 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

Weren't you the one who stated "I forgot the portion where Sullinger threw a punch that knocked out his girlfriend."?

Is that only considered domestic violence to you? Does someone have to be knocked out unconscious for it to be considered "actual" domestic violence? That sound pretty B&W to me. Where's the gray area? ???

The part where you completely misunderstood his post. He was comparing the Sully incident to the Rice incident. Trying to get from there to "Does someone have to be knocked out unconscious for it to be considered "actual" domestic violence" is ridiculous. It's about on the level of my claiming that people complaining about domestic violence against women mean they don't think that violence against children is a problem. Or maybe that's what you think?

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2014, 12:02:34 PM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
  I can't speak to the other responses you posted, but the jump from what I posted to "I don't care" or "our players can do no wrong" is fairly absurd.

You stated that domestic violence was already an issue before Ray Rice. That's absolutely true. But  seeing the statistics shows that it is an issue that is not taken as seriously as the outrage. This was also shown with how the NFL handled the case initially. The NBA is the same as seen with Sullys case and plenty of other players. Most see the issue as Paul George: “If She Ain’t Tripping, I Ain’t Trippin”. That's how Sully got off.

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2014, 12:03:39 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I don't think I got much traction when I suggested that we should be concerned about Fab Melo's history of domestic violence, as I think most people were more interested in discussing how he sucks on the court.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2014, 12:05:55 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

Where on earth does he say that someone has to be knocked out for it to be DV?  I think you def. misread his post. 

« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2014, 12:09:18 PM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
  The part where you completely misunderstood his post. He was comparing the Sully incident to the Rice incident. Trying to get from there to "Does someone have to be knocked out unconscious for it to be considered "actual" domestic violence" is ridiculous. It's about on the level of my claiming that people complaining about domestic violence against women mean they don't think that violence against children is a problem. Or maybe that's what you think?

Ridiculous really? He said I was being black and white and his initial comment was black and white. Not really sure what you are insinuating with you example? What does complaining about one thing have to do with a whole 'nother issue. We are all speaking on domestic violence (mostly against women). I assuming he thinks Sully is in the clear because he didn't knock her out like Rice (or at least didn't have video showing it)

« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2014, 12:10:56 PM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
If the title was comparing Greg Oden and Ray Rice there might be some more productive responses.

Greg currently doesn't play for an NBA team. So that would be the NBAs out.

« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2014, 12:13:40 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson

Greg currently doesn't play for an NBA team. So that would be the NBAs out.

I think you really missed the point on magent's Greg Oden comment.  It was because of the similarity of the act of violence.  Oden was reported to have punched his ex-gf in the face.  The same exact thing Ray Rice did. 

« Reply #28 on: September 13, 2014, 12:14:53 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
When did reading comprehension become such an elusive skill on this board? 

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2014, 12:15:50 PM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
Where on earth does he say that someone has to be knocked out for it to be DV?  I think you def. misread his post.

That was his initial response. What else can be inferred by that comment? Why did that comment have to the with the OP? Since Sully didn't KO his girlfriend (at least not on tape), he was was not as bad as Rice. What did you get from it?