Author Topic: Sullinger and Ray Rice  (Read 24558 times)

Sullinger and Ray Rice
« on: September 13, 2014, 09:21:26 AM »

Offline dasani

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 32
I know some may have forgotten but last year, Sully was involved in a domestic dispute as well. http://espn.go.com/boston/nba/story/_/id/9629508/jared-sullinger-boston-celtics-arrested-charged-domestic-situation. However like Janay Palmer Rice, Sullinger' girlfriend did not want her boyfriend to have charges against and thus it was dismissed . Like other figures in domestic abuse allegations, Sullinger doesn't have the video showing it. So folks werent as outraged as they should have been. But had there been, you'd bet he'd get the negative press about himself and surely about his character.

But I remember some saying that he should have been the team captain over Rondo? Now (with this huge Rice) case everyone can see the seriousness of domestic violence and how it is despicable. I know Sullinger is young and I hoped he learned from it, but this does not reflect highly on his character. Again I hope he has learned from his past actions and this current Rice situation and becomes a better person from it.

Re: Sullinger and Ray Rice
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 09:34:23 AM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
I really don't get the point of this thread

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 09:38:29 AM »

Offline dasani

• Derrick White

do you not remember Sullinger's case last year? Folks seem to forget. But in light of Ray Rice we must scrutinize players on this team that have obviously been in the same situation.

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2014, 10:03:52 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I don't either. People knew that domestic abuse was bad before the Ray Rice incident. The Sully incident received plenty of scrutiny.

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2014, 10:06:32 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
this ray rice thing would have gone away by now if the video didn't come out. everyone would still think he got off easy, but by week 3 had he come back and had a pretty decent game. he'd be looked at as a sign of redemption.

the video changed everything. we heard he hit her, we saw her go in the elevator and the next we saw him dragging her. but we didn't actually see what happened. seeing him knock her out is way more deplorable than hearing that he did this.

if we had a video of sully i'm willing to bet sully would have received a higher punishment and scrutiny.

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2014, 10:07:34 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I forgot the portion where Sullinger threw a punch that knocked out his girlfriend.

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2014, 10:11:32 AM »

Offline relja

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
  • heart, hustle and muscle
So, let me get this straight, you wouldn't gently restrain your girlfriend if she went berserk and started slapping and hitting you? Sully made a wise decision and ended the dispute as peacefully as possible. It's just that women tend to over-dramatize.

Pointless thread.
When you lose, the easy part is to see who gives up. Giving up is very simple. You basically take your stuff and walk away. To continue to work and to continue to compete is one of the most difficult things, especially when you really don't have anything - KG

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2014, 10:11:53 AM »

Offline dasani

• Derrick White
I forgot the portion where Sullinger threw a punch that knocked out his girlfriend.

you should never lay your hand's on woman ever. the extent is irrelevant. He is a big boy and virtually overpowers any woman. There is no need to physically abuse and intimidate her.

There was not enough attention on this, because of course no video, but now people see domestic violence in a different light after the Ray Rice situation. They know what it looks like and it is indefensible on any level.

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 10:14:08 AM »

Offline dasani

• Derrick White
So, let me get this straight, you wouldn't gently restrain your girlfriend if she went berserk and started slapping and hitting you? Sully made a wise decision and ended the dispute as peacefully as possible. It's just that women tend to over-dramatize.

Pointless thread.

this is all he said, she said. he did more than restrain. Again Ravens defend Rice profusely too. Its always different when it "your" player. But it shouldnt be.

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2014, 10:16:40 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

you should never lay your hand's on woman ever. the extent is irrelevant. He is a big boy and virtually overpowers any woman. There is no need to physically abuse and intimidate her.

There was not enough attention on this, because of course no video, but now people see domestic violence in a different light after the Ray Rice situation. They know what it looks like and it is indefensible on any level.

I think there's plenty of attention on this. While I agree you should never lay a hand on a woman I disagree that the extent is irrelevant.                                                                                           

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2014, 10:36:27 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
"domestic abuse " is a fuzzy term and you know it.

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2014, 10:43:55 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
if we had a video of sully i'm willing to bet sully would have received a higher punishment and scrutiny.

Definitely true, partly because people react more strongly to clearly seeing what happened, but mostly because it would remove a lot of doubt about the nature of the incident.  It's hard to separate the two.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 10:50:07 AM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2014, 10:59:22 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
If I remember correctly (and I'm not sure I do) Sully quickly proclaimed his innocence, the Celts suspended him a few games, his girlfriend quickly dropped charges, making it virtually impossible to do anything, and it wasn't entirely that he hit her, but that he grabbed her and destroyed her phone or something.

I wanted him traded and still do, but I can somewhat understand why maybe a lot of people disagree with me.

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2014, 11:02:20 AM »

Offline zimbo

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 34

I don't either. People knew that domestic abuse was bad before the Ray Rice incident. The Sully incident received plenty of scrutiny.

Pointless thread.

Wow with some of these responses. I understand some sports have predominately male fan bases, but some of these responses are just disturbing. No wonder society sweeps this issue under the rug. I hate that a gruesome video finally opened some peoples eyes.

Thank for this tread Desani. What Sullinger (and many other NBA players) have done is unacceptable. Does the NBA even have a domestic violence policy?

But I am not going to expect some Celtics fans to care. Some fans believe their players (esp fav one) can do no wrong. You see this with some Ravens fans.

I wouldn't be surprised if this thread gets locked. ::)

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 11:43:16 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Pointless thread.

Wow with some of these responses. I understand some sports have predominately male fan bases, but some of these responses are just disturbing. No wonder society sweeps this issue under the rug. I hate that a gruesome video finally opened some peoples eyes.

Thank for this tread Desani. What Sullinger (and many other NBA players) have done is unacceptable. Does the NBA even have a domestic violence policy?

But I am not going to expect some Celtics fans to care. Some fans believe their players (esp fav one) can do no wrong. You see this with some Ravens fans.

I wouldn't be surprised if this thread gets locked. ::)

I can't speak to the other responses you posted, but the jump from what I posted to "I don't care" or "our players can do no wrong" is fairly absurd.