Author Topic: Report: Adrian Peterson indicted  (Read 10690 times)

Re: Report: Adrian Peterson indicted
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 07:11:40 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
"According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the incident in question stems from “disciplining of a son with a switch.”

For those of you unfamiliar with the Southern vernacular, a switch is a flexible tree branch used to swat a child across the backsides.

How you view that — as an act of parental discipline or as child abuse — depends largely on your age and geographic location. "

I hope people don't jump to conclusions even though the picture (if really the 'after' picture) is disturbing.   I don't believe in spanking and my wife and I never spanked our children, but that doesn't mean I think that all spanking is abuse.   It would be great if we could just let the judicial and child protective systems -- people with far more detail than we'll have -- come to an informed conclusion.  I am really tired of trial by social media.

if those pics are real that goes beyond a deserved spanking imo.

when I was a kid I got spanked once and that was because I set my backyard on fire. I found some matches and was lighting twigs on fire, thought I put out everything. come to find out there were fire trucks lined up in front of my house and firemen ready to storm my house. look outside and my backyard was a blaze. my mother gave me a good whack on my butt and told me to go to my room.

I think most people are quick to call child abuse these days and get DCYF involved. but I grew up in a time when you were still threatened with a belt if you did something really bad and I turned out ok. this goes a little beyond a normal spanking though....if those pics are legit.

I agree with you about the pics, I am just tired of everyone (including me) judging people.  Sometimes it's obvious, and this may turn out to be one of those cases.  I think it's more that in this 'reality TV world' we all draw so many conclusions about people we don't really know.  Again, I am not saying this to defend Ray Rice, Adrian Peterson, Michael Brown, or anyone --  I am just speaking to the social phenomenon of reality TV and social media and it's impact on how quickly we judge people.

BTW -- I was threatened and sometimes hit with the belt too.  I turned out OK too, but I disagree that that makes it OK.  I feared my dad in a way that was unnecessary.  I am not saying the threats and whacks were abuse; I am saying they were unnecessary and probably did more harm than good.  That said, I know that many people are OK with that form of discipline and I respect that point of view.

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 07:13:08 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I'm hearing Lions just deactivated him.

Peterson plays for the Vikings.

Yeah, duh. I don't know why the hell I put that.

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 07:17:01 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
"According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the incident in question stems from “disciplining of a son with a switch.”

For those of you unfamiliar with the Southern vernacular, a switch is a flexible tree branch used to swat a child across the backsides.

How you view that — as an act of parental discipline or as child abuse — depends largely on your age and geographic location. "

I hope people don't jump to conclusions even though the picture (if really the 'after' picture) is disturbing.   I don't believe in spanking and my wife and I never spanked our children, but that doesn't mean I think that all spanking is abuse.   It would be great if we could just let the judicial and child protective systems -- people with far more detail than we'll have -- come to an informed conclusion.  I am really tired of trial by social media.
Any spanking that leaves a mark is abuse.

That's not accurate. Corporal punishment allows you to leave a mark, but this is obviously excessive. Especially when you consider the age of the boy.

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 07:35:13 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

That's not accurate. Corporal punishment allows you to leave a mark, but this is obviously excessive. Especially when you consider the age of the boy.
I thought it definitely could be if there has been a warning to the parents.  I thought it was all a very mushy, subjective, case-by-case type thing (a red mark is much different than a bruise).
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 07:41:31 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I thought it definitely could be if there has been a warning to the parents.  I thought it was all a very mushy, subjective, case-by-case type thing (a red mark is much different than a bruise).

It's all discretionary, but bruising is fine. Once you start talking about lacerations, then it's a whole different story and a potentially chargeable offense.

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2014, 08:01:20 PM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228
I think it matters what the state laws are too and what they term abuse.

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2014, 08:37:27 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
As a diehard celtics, sox and bruins fan, it pains me to say I grew up a vikings fan as well. This news is bad.
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002015.htm

A 4 year old has no concept of right or wrong. Hitting them with a stick, which AP has admitted to doing, is abuse in my opinion. I do not think he intended to injure but that does not excuse the action. My dad did it to me and I ended up fine is not a valid excuse either..it is the cause of the brainwashing that caused the action, but does not make it right.

As a Vikings fan, I wish it did not happen but it did. I fear the league will suspend him for the season.

In this day andn age of xbox, internet, cell phones and tv, I can think of better ways to teach your child a lesson without scarring their bodies and minds.

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2014, 09:25:16 PM »

Offline 35Lewis

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 42
NFL has got a tough decision to make.  You just handed Ray Rice an indefinite suspension for hitting a woman so you kinda got to do the same for a man that hits his kid like this.  It's scary that he thinks this is okay. I got beat when I was a kid as did many of my friends and it was kinda normal in the black community but my legs didn't look like that.  Plus lost of my whoopings came when I was over the age of 10 and we were caught doing really bad stuff.

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2014, 10:09:50 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
The abused often end up abusing when they grow up.

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2014, 10:20:38 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
Just like I said in the other thread. The entire DV thing has to be discussed in a gender neutral context of domestic abuse of the strong on the weak. This is a case in point where a family member (father) abused his kid just because the kid cannot fight back. Once you take the gender out of DV you will be able to get a more frank discussion.

« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2014, 10:26:50 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I understand those parents who give their kids a slap on the butt.  We don't do it with our kids, but I understand that their are differences of opinion.  I don't judge that.

But drawing blood on a four year old?  Cutting up his butt, thighs, and apparently scrotum?  What type of "father" does that?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2014, 10:32:16 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Next up we're going to find out Eli Manning was arrested for solicitation and JJ Watt has missing children chained up to a radiator.

Roger Goodell won't need to resign. The brain aneurysm will get him first.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2014, 10:36:21 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I understand those parents who give their kids a slap on the butt.  We don't do it with our kids, but I understand that their are differences of opinion.  I don't judge that.

But drawing blood on a four year old?  Cutting up his butt, thighs, and apparently scrotum?  What type of "father" does that?

One that hates the kid.

« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2014, 10:37:50 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Wow :o  What a week for the NFL.  I would hope that this will severely damage our society's fond view of the league and the sport, but I won't hold my breath.  Not with the NFL being the sports version of Starbucks and being everywhere you go, especially on TV.  Monday Night Football, Thursday Night Football, College Football, NFL Sunday on CBS...please, for the love of god, make it stop!!!  It's almost like rbtv from the rocky and bullwinkle movie, and yes, I am well aware that I'm clearly the only person who ever watched that film ;D

« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2014, 10:52:03 PM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!

Is this what happened?

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14