Author Topic: Grammar questions  (Read 6420 times)

Grammar questions
« on: September 11, 2014, 09:16:06 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
Lately I've been noticing a trend from people on the internet, many people (Majority of them Americans) use "should of, could of, would of" instead of should've, could've, or would've. English is my second language, so I know I'm not an authority on this, but what I've learned through my English subject from Elementary till college was that it is wrong. I asked my Great Aunt who was an english professor when she was young and she said its flat out wrong and its just "internet people being internet people" (followed by a long lecture on why people are getting dumber because of internet and I should stop playing games  ;D)

Is it really wrong or is it just us asians not really knowing English that well and its a thing now?

Re: Grammar questions
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 09:18:32 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
It's not really an Internet thing, it's from the "ve" sounding like "of" to people.  So they wind up honestly thinking that's what the word is.  You just find it a lot on the internet since that's where you tend to see writing from folks like that.

It is flat-out wrong, though. 

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 09:22:51 PM »

Offline Mazingerz

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 99
What ires me is that the new generation of our workforce do not practice good grammar. Communications coming from them usually tend to be full of grammatical errors. I am not a grammar nazi, but it is painful to read emails and correspondences which are barely readable to say the least.
Peavey Bass Player - relearning to play after 10 years sucks;

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 09:31:16 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
language is about communicating. As long as you are communicating the rules of language have long been lost.

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 09:41:01 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
It's not really an Internet thing, it's from the "ve" sounding like "of" to people.  So they wind up honestly thinking that's what the word is.  You just find it a lot on the internet since that's where you tend to see writing from folks like that.

It is flat-out wrong, though.

Correct.

Although I'm not sure it's any worse than using the wrong form of 'its' to ask a question.  ;D
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 10:31:22 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
I see, thanks for the explanation. Maybe it just bothers me because I spent my childhood studying grammar for school contests. In our country you will get ripped for bad grammar if people dont like you (which mostly happens in local basketball/video game forums)

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 10:33:20 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
You have to allow for a lot of lenience in something as informal as a forum, IMO. People post on their phones, post while intoxicated, post before coffee, etc.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 10:36:37 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
go thank your aunt. she is right on all points.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 10:39:34 PM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:16:16 PM by Mencius »

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 10:46:23 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
Well yes, I am lenient most of the time. People make typos. Sometimes though you can see it's an error when they use it everytime. Plus this just made me wonder because it didn't make sense for me but I've been seeing it a lot in forums and chats, and I'm far removed from my school days so I wasn't sure.

go thank your aunt. she is right on all points.  ;D

Games make me relax  ;D and I'd argue it keeps my mind sharp (no I dont play those "runner" games where you don't need to think.)

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 10:52:41 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
On this note, is there some conspiracy to write "loosing" in place of losing as a goof and then not tell poor Nerf about it? I swear I see "loosing" more than half the time now. You guys shouldn't keep me in the dark like this....

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 11:11:40 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
On this note, is there some conspiracy to write "loosing" in place of losing as a goof and then not tell poor Nerf about it? I swear I see "loosing" more than half the time now. You guys shouldn't keep me in the dark like this....

I just loosed a TP on you.  It's getting into "could care less" territory.

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 11:57:23 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I have to confess that I do use the slang "coulda", "woulda" and "shoulda" in texting and in these forums rather than the contractions "would've", "could've", "should've" because of laziness and ease of keyboarding. I'm an old school, crappy hunt and peck typist (is that even a word anymore?), so any shortcuts I can take, I will.

In formal, professional writings though, I do't even use the contractions but rather "could have", "would have" and "should have".

I also admit that that "could OF", "would OF" and "should OF" drive me absolutely insane. What the blank does "could of" even mean? ??? ::) ???

Good OP...TP
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 12:09:54 AM by csfansince60s »

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 12:21:42 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
I have to confess that I do use the slang "coulda", "woulda" and "shoulda" in texting and in these forums rather than the contractions "would've", "could've", "should've" because of laziness and ease of keyboarding. I'm an old school, crappy hunt and peck typist (is that even a word anymore?), so any shortcuts I can take, I will.

In formal, professional writings though, I do't even use the contractions but rather "could have", "would have" and "should have".

I also admit that that "could OF", "would OF" and "should OF" drive me absolutely insane. What the blank does "could of" even mean? ??? ::) ???

Good OP...TP

I use them a lot as well, and I agree with your sentiments.

Anyway thanks for the clarifications guys. Gave everyone here a tp

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 12:36:47 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
What ires me is that the new generation of our workforce do not practice good grammar. Communications coming from them usually tend to be full of grammatical errors. I am not a grammar nazi, but it is painful to read emails and correspondences which are barely readable to say the least.

While I'm not a grammar Nazi, either, I do fit the demographic of, as you put it, "the new generation of our workforce," so allow me to ask these two questions - 1).  Did you mean irks instead of ires, and 2).  Shouldn't you have written, "What particularly/really irks me is that the new generation of our workforce does not practice good grammar?"  I'm just wondering.