Author Topic: Paul George says stupid things in defense of Ray Rice  (Read 27126 times)

Re: Paul George says stupid things in defense of Ray Rice
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2014, 06:11:50 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
we have threads full of this Ray Rice issue already just because the victim is a female

Wrong. Try again.

Here's a question for you: Would you rather take a punch from Ray Rice or Solange?

I wouldn't want to take it from either one but if I had to...

I would rather take a punch from Ray Rice because I know I can hit back without worrying about being subjected to public's criticisms.  I won't have to tuck my balls in and just walk away, hiding my wounds, out of fear of public's retaliation and crucifixion. 

And there are two or three threads going on over this, unless they've been merged.

There are threads going on, but it's not because Rice hit his wife. Someone else tried to use Michael Sam's boyfriend in the other thread, and it's just as stupid when you substitute Solange instead.

re: the punching, I do appreciate your adorable attempt at protecting your online masculinity.

I knew it.  I knew my masculinity will be called into question.  I just knew it.  Someone is bound to tell me how macho I'm acting lol.  I got nothing to hide.  My life is not special.  I've lost more fights than I've won, so there is nothing special about good ol' me.  Nothing to protect here but that's your opinion.

Replacing Micheal Sam's boyfriend with Solange isn't the same thing.  One happened, the other didn't. 

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my
 blood would’ve been green.  -  Bill "Greatest of All Time" Russell

« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2014, 06:12:57 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Here's a helpful hint: Anytime you bring testicles into a discussion the masculinity jump is not only obvious, but prompted.  ;)
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2014, 06:15:12 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I remember sometimes not using great judgment at 24 (Paul George).  It's a condition he may outgrow. 

I think Rice didn't make a bad decision, I think he actually made no decision.  He acted impulsively.  It is scary when a strong man (as many men do) reacts to his own anger by aggressing violently (over-reacting), even when the person they are aggressing against is significantly less powerful.  To me, it isn't that she's a woman, per se -- I'd feel the same if he did that to anyone with whom the power differential is significant.   Ray needs to re-train himself to react with restraint (meaning he needs to activate a thought process before/when emotions rise).  If attacked, the powerful individual should first defend (block), walk away, and then (if necessary) safely restrain the other individual.  If your anger/rage mechanism is tapped so easily, you've got a problem that will eventually result in someone being seriously hurt (perhaps a child next time).   Rice could easily have done lots more damage than was actually done in that elevator -- he, and she, are lucky.

That is not to say that I that I think it's easy for some people to control their own rage.  This is especially true if they, like millions of Americans, were either victims of, or witness to, domestic violence.  Models for how to deal with anger are important for children, and lacking such a model can have very bad results.   I definitely have some sympathy for Rice -- he probably does feel bad, and perhaps he is shocked by his own behavior.  I hope that he realizes that alcohol (which they've discussed played a big part in this) can further dull a person's ability to manage rage.  But the answer can't be as simple as stopping the drinking.  He probably has to dig deep if he's going to avoid ever losing control violently again. 

I hope he does work hard and get the right help -- some perpetrators actually do stop.  If she is committed to work with him, live with him, have their children live with him, all I can say is that I hope it never happens again.

TP ...This post shows a near perfect understanding of the issue. And if everyone were to take this approach instead of looking at it as a woman vs. man issue society will seek quicker and faster resolution. It is exactly what Neurotic said it is a domestic violence issue, if you make it sex neutral and instead make it a weak vs. strong issue one significant segment of society will feel less attacked and defensive and we will all work together to solve this issue.
The issue with approaching this as gender neutral is that the vast majority of victims are women, and the vast majority of abusers are men.

Its not a gender neutral problem. I really suggest you read the article that D.O.S. linked.

It would of been great and the right thing to do , to keep calm even when getting punched and spit on.   Maybe try to hold her instead or walk away after the elevator stopped.

IF rice and janay were not related and janay did that to Rice, then what? Does she get charged?   How would the courts react?

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2014, 06:17:27 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

I remember sometimes not using great judgment at 24 (Paul George).  It's a condition he may outgrow. 

I think Rice didn't make a bad decision, I think he actually made no decision.  He acted impulsively.  It is scary when a strong man (as many men do) reacts to his own anger by aggressing violently (over-reacting), even when the person they are aggressing against is significantly less powerful.  To me, it isn't that she's a woman, per se -- I'd feel the same if he did that to anyone with whom the power differential is significant.   Ray needs to re-train himself to react with restraint (meaning he needs to activate a thought process before/when emotions rise).  If attacked, the powerful individual should first defend (block), walk away, and then (if necessary) safely restrain the other individual.  If your anger/rage mechanism is tapped so easily, you've got a problem that will eventually result in someone being seriously hurt (perhaps a child next time).   Rice could easily have done lots more damage than was actually done in that elevator -- he, and she, are lucky.

That is not to say that I that I think it's easy for some people to control their own rage.  This is especially true if they, like millions of Americans, were either victims of, or witness to, domestic violence.  Models for how to deal with anger are important for children, and lacking such a model can have very bad results.   I definitely have some sympathy for Rice -- he probably does feel bad, and perhaps he is shocked by his own behavior.  I hope that he realizes that alcohol (which they've discussed played a big part in this) can further dull a person's ability to manage rage.  But the answer can't be as simple as stopping the drinking.  He probably has to dig deep if he's going to avoid ever losing control violently again. 

I hope he does work hard and get the right help -- some perpetrators actually do stop.  If she is committed to work with him, live with him, have their children live with him, all I can say is that I hope it never happens again.

TP ...This post shows a near perfect understanding of the issue. And if everyone were to take this approach instead of looking at it as a woman vs. man issue society will seek quicker and faster resolution. It is exactly what Neurotic said it is a domestic violence issue, if you make it sex neutral and instead make it a weak vs. strong issue one significant segment of society will feel less attacked and defensive and we will all work together to solve this issue.
The issue with approaching this as gender neutral is that the vast majority of victims are women, and the vast majority of abusers are men.

Its not a gender neutral problem. I really suggest you read the article that D.O.S. linked.

can you understand that this rice situation is kind of different? 

It would of been great and the right thing to do , to keep calm even when getting punched and spit on.   Maybe try to hold her instead or walk away after the elevator stopped.

IF rice and janay were not related and janay did that to Rice, then what? Does she get charged?   How would the courts react?
Nope, you're still 100% wrong on this. Its no different, Janay Rice was not a threat to Ray Rice and he had no justification or defense for his actions.

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2014, 06:19:26 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen
we have threads full of this Ray Rice issue already just because the victim is a female

Wrong. Try again.

Here's a question for you: Would you rather take a punch from Ray Rice or Solange?

I wouldn't want like to take it from either one but if I have to...

I would rather take a punch from Ray Rice because I know I can hit back without worrying about being subjected to public's criticism.  I won't have to tuck my balls in and just walk away, hiding my wounds, out of fear of public's retaliation and crucifixion. 

And there are two or three threads going on over this, unless they've been merged.

The way you phrase that, 'tuck your balls, hide your wounds our of fear' says a lot to me. It's a very masculine point of view. What's your option if you're a woman? Because hiding your wounds out of fear of retaliation and future suffering is a pretty big hallmark of relationships affected by domestic violence.

My option is not to hit him first.  Not to spit on him during mini arguments.

I always said when I left the Celtics, I could not go to heaven, because that would
 be a step down. I am pure 100 percent Celtic. I think if you slashed my wrists, my

« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2014, 06:24:24 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Wrong. Try again.

I would rather take a punch from Ray Rice because I know I can hit back without worrying about being subjected to public's criticism.  I won't have to tuck my balls in and just walk away, hiding my wounds, out of fear of public's retaliation and crucifixion. 

The way you phrase that, 'tuck your balls, hide your wounds our of fear' says a lot to me. It's a very masculine point of view. What's your option if you're a woman? Because hiding your wounds out of fear of retaliation and future suffering is a pretty big hallmark of relationships affected by domestic violence.

Right. Cuz as a woman, if you ever provoke a man, you might get knocked out with one punch, because they're so much bigger and stronger.

Around my neighborhood we knew to teach women to not provoke a man, not antagonize the blah blah blah blah blah blah grah trag bloppity fart noise.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2014, 06:27:44 PM »

Offline Clench123

• Ray Allen

Wrong. Try again.

Right. Cuz as a woman, if you ever provoke a man, you might get knocked out with one punch, because they're so much bigger and stronger.

Around my neighborhood we knew to teach women to not provoke a man, not antagonize the blah blah blah blah blah blah grah trag bloppity fart noise.

Now you're just mocking me.  Whatever, man.

« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2014, 06:27:45 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2014, 06:29:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Nope, you're still 100% wrong on this. Its no different, Janay Rice was not a threat to Ray Rice and he had no justification or defense for his actions.

how about if i wander at night at a dangerous neighborhood. Am i being smart doing this when i don't want to run into trouble??

You keep talking about threat, but thats not the pt.  If your "weaker" , "fraile" it still doesn't give you the right to start punching, spitting and doing what you want but expecting the other person to be extremely calm. 

I know the reaction always results in, "IT DOESN'T Matter still" rice should of kept his composure. Well she should of kept her composure.  You haven't once pointed out what she did was wrong.    Each persons behaviour should be isolated in addition to punishing Rice

« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2014, 06:30:46 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

I read it and it is a very powerful article actually makes me want to rethink my position, but I bet you there are a lot of women who when they have the strength advantage over a man or a child in their family do physically abuse the men or children. So I believe that if we put this problem in the general context of domestic violence and not men abusing women we can get away from one very important segment of society thinking it is an assault on them.

I am a big proponent of dealing with the horrible truth in order to solve societal problems. We can just dump on these young men because it is PC but that will not solve the problem. What will solve this problem is facing some of the harsh truths and educating all concerned in order to avoid a situation where a man and women who are supposed to be in a loving relationship have to get to the point of going fist to fist with each other.

« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2014, 06:38:43 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Wrong. Try again.

Now you're just mocking me.  Whatever, man.

You're effectively implying it is alright for a man to hit a woman with his full force if she antagonizes him enough, and you're taking the moral stand that Ray Rice's fianc? crossed that threshold despite the fact that nothing she could've done in that elevator would have had the same physical effect that Ray Rice's actions did.

Picture a big brother and a little brother. Big brother is 15, and big for 15. Already got most of his man strength. Little brother is 10. Little brother is so mad at big brother (whether justified of not) that he's spitting at him and slapping at him in the face. Big brother throws a hard right hook into little brother's jaw, knocking him out cold.

Whatever the little brother's problem was, justified or not, the big brother is clearly wrong, because he has an overwhelming advantage in the ability to absorb and administer pain.

Ray Rice's fianc? shouldn't have behaved like that. You shouldn't hit people. Ray Rice's actions though are far, far worse. Criminally, morally.

« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2014, 06:41:11 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
You don't think an indefinite suspension for something that has absolutely no effect on your ability to do your job is too harsh?  Frankly you could argue 2 games is too harsh.  If the exact same thing happened to me, I would not have been disciplined at my work at all, and I'm a lawyer.  Conduct that happens outside of my office is not discipline worthy unless said conduct affects my ability to do my job.  I get that I'm not a public figure like Rice is, but the NFL being the morality police is a bit rough.

Really? 

I know that in my jurisdictions (Maine and New Jersey), we're required on our annual registration statements to list crimes we're involved in.  (Without looking, I can't remember if it's crimes we're charged with, or only convictions; I assume the latter).  That's an independent basis for discipline by the Bar, regardless of whether the conviction interfered with our ability to perform our job.  I believe that the reasoning is similar to the NFL's purported reason:  criminal convictions of lawyers can damage the confidence of the public in the entire profession.

Specifically as related to domestic violence, I believe that in Maine suspension from the practice of law is automatic upon a conviction.
Ohio tends to discipline when the crimes of that of honesty and trustworthiness.  Repeated offenses show a pattern of disregard for the law, and also affect your licensure even if they are related to other crimes (like continued dui, continued assaults, etc.).  Now if the conduct is very egregious (i.e. felonious assault, a weapon, etc.) it could rise to the level as to affect the lawyer's ability to practice law and get a lawyer in trouble.  Also, if drugs or alcohol are involved it will play a role as the person may not be "fit" to practice in that situation.http://www.supremecourt.ohio.gov/LegalResources/Rules/ProfConduct/profConductRules.pdf

All that said, if I lost my license it would affect my ability to do my job and I would more than likely be fired.  If I am not disciplined by the State, I would not be disciplined by my job.  Nor would anyone else that works at my company for actions that occur outside the workplace and do not affect their ability to do their job.

Morality does not belong in the workplace.  Just my opinion, but I would not be suspending any professional athletes for actions outside of the sport unless such action affects their ability (i.e. drug use).

So, commissioner Moranis, if Rice had broken his hand he'd be a fair target for a suspension?

Your continued refusal to acknowledge that a major part of any NFL player's job is to be marketable is confusing.
No, but he wouldn't be playing and I suspect there is a clause in his contract that says you don't have to pay him if he is injured in certain manners.

I have no issues with Baltimore cutting Rice as they clearly determined his play on the field was no longer worth the baggage he brought.  That is an employer decision which is made all the time.  My issue is with the NFL suspending him.  That is all I'm saying.  The NFL should not be the morality police.  Period.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2014, 06:41:37 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871

Again I have to disagree, what do you mean she was not a threat? Of course she was. Look I am not saying he should have hit her. He absolutely should not have hit her, but that does not meant she was not a threat to him. Of course she was. She charged him with her hands clenched. It do harm if you hit the right spot. He could even have hurt himself while trying to fend off her assault. So please don't simplify this by saying she was no threat to him. I counsel young people or anyone that will listen against violence because you never know where it could lead. I bet you Ray Rice did not know or intend that she hit her head on the metal bars --- she could have died or snapped her neck resulting in paralysis. So it is never never okay to get violent. There are so many bad things that could happen.

« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2014, 06:47:57 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
My issue is with the NFL suspending him.  That is all I'm saying.  The NFL should not be the morality police.  Period.

This is an interesting POV. I can see how it's supportable. Similar to a 'the market will correct it's self' POV.

« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2014, 06:50:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Again I have to disagree, what do you mean she was not a threat? Of course she was. Look I am not saying he should have hit her. He absolutely should not have hit her, but that does not meant she was not a threat to him. Of course she was. She charged him with her hands clenched. It do harm if you hit the right spot. He could even have hurt himself while trying to fend off her assault. So please don't simplify this by saying she was no threat to him. I counsel young people or anyone that will listen against violence because you never know where it could lead. I bet you Ray Rice did not know or intend that she hit her head on the metal bars --- she could have died or snapped her neck resulting in paralysis. So it is never never okay to get violent. There are so many bad things that could happen.

+1.