Author Topic: Paul George says stupid things in defense of Ray Rice  (Read 27130 times)

Re: Paul George says stupid things in defense of Ray Rice
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2014, 01:15:11 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He obviously never should have said anything, but I think some of his underlying points aren't off base or all that out of whack.
Come on you're better than that. His underlying points are "don't ask for it" and "its okay if you didn't start it".

Care to defend those? I suppose you can back into saying "violence and escalation can be mutual", but that's not what he said. Even beyond that, even when a woman escalates an argument you don't hit her with a left jab to the head.

And people wonder why battered women are so scared they won't be believed.

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2014, 01:17:03 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
The one question i have is, how long is rice suppose to be shamed about the stupid thing he did?

If the answer is forever. Well thats not right either. He can never find a job, he can never etc etc.

Im just stating nobody is perfect. You serve your punishment, you learn your lesson, you can be allowed to move on.   This is not for the stupid thing rice did but anything major anyone does (except life sentences). This is just my opinion

I personally don't see how guys like vick and rice show their face in public or even want to. they'll always be looked down on in my eyes. I don't know how they overcome it...or in vicks case overcame it.

if it were me I wouldn't be able to. and I don't know how somebody who hasn't been in a similar situation can truly answer that.

so your going to hate yourself for the rest of your life?   

Rice deserves the bashing right now.  George wanting this bashing/suspension to go all away, is wanting it to happen all too soon.  I think thats why many ppl are outraged.

« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2014, 01:25:59 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Idiot confirms personal idiocy.

Say whatever about the messiah....But other than the "take my talents" fiasco...He must have a great PR support team that he really trusts...Because he rarely makes a public statement mistake in front of a mic...Or in any other capacity.

This is surprising coming from George....Who has seemed pretty level headed and articulate in interviews.

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2014, 01:29:43 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
Does this mean he's available in a trade for Rondo?

Seems like he'd be a great fit with Sullinger.

This means that Ainge would avoid him like the plague.  Ainge spent the pre-Garnett era of his tenure de-sleazing the roster. 

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2014, 01:32:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
He obviously never should have said anything, but I think some of his underlying points aren't off base or all that out of whack.
Come on you're better than that. His underlying points are "don't ask for it" and "its okay if you didn't start it".

Care to defend those? I suppose you can back into saying "violence and escalation can be mutual", but that's not what he said. Even beyond that, even when a woman escalates an argument you don't hit her with a left jab to the head.

I think your taking what he said off context. It's not like he is saying "good she deserved it"

From what i read, he sounds like he is saying it's their business.  She has forgiven him.  The one person that has the right over everyone else to not forgive him, put him to jail, punish him has forgiven him.  So why is everyone else pressing the issue? 

Even the wife has stated , why is everyone else getting too involved in this, ruining their lives.

I understand even though she says its ok,  it's still not, thats why he is publicly being shamed/suspended/being dropped from contracts right now. But for some cultures or upbringing privacy, my business, our business as long as it doesn't effect/involve society takes priority

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2014, 01:37:23 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

I think your taking what he said off context. It's not like he is saying "good she deserved it"

From what i read, he sounds like he is saying it's their business.  She has forgiven him.  The one person that has the right over everyone else to not forgive him, put him to jail, punish him has forgiven him.  So why is everyone else pressing the issue? 

Even the wife has stated , why is everyone else getting too involved in this, ruining their lives.

I understand even though she says its ok,  it's still not, thats why he is publicly being shamed/suspended/being dropped from contracts right now. But for some cultures or upbringing privacy, my business, our business as long as it doesn't effect/involve society takes priority
I read the whole sequence before they were deleted. He was saying the punishment was too harsh (nope), it wasn't our business (somewhat true), and that she was culpable in it (nope).

Anyways when you value privacy and others affairs over the safety of women, you get a lot of beaten and dead women. Which is a choice we're making is society everyday.

edit: oops reading on my phone and I missed who I was replying too.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 01:43:23 PM by Fafnir »

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2014, 01:42:50 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Say whatever about the messiah....But other than the "take my talents" fiasco...He must have a great PR support team that he really trusts...Because he rarely makes a public statement mistake in front of a mic...Or in any other capacity.

This is surprising coming from George....Who has seemed pretty level headed and articulate in interviews.
Yeah, though I said plenty of dumb stuff when I was younger, and yesterday probably.

« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2014, 01:54:38 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

It could also be because LeBron is actually a good dude. How they come across in interviews is largely irrelevant -- some of the most thoughtful athletes I've ever talked to have sounded like they came straight out of Central Casting for 'uncultured.'
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2014, 01:55:45 PM »

Offline Vox_Populi

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 346

That's why I'm so surprised. George usually came across as a guy who thought about stuff before he said it, at least live.

I'm curious if the two are friends or something. That, or George found himself in a similar type situation. Or, he just said something dumb.

« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2014, 02:02:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

I read the whole sequence before they were deleted. He was saying the punishment was too harsh (nope), it wasn't our business (somewhat true), and that she was culpable in it (nope).

Anyways when you value privacy and others affairs over the safety of women, you get a lot of beaten and dead women. Which is a choice we're making is society everyday.

I hate it when otherwise smart people "well actually" on domestic violence and sexual assault, and it happens way to freaking much. You're better than that Moranis and you're better than trying to defend what you said prior even when you're backing away from it now from what I read.

ok let me ask you something. 

I totally agree with you that assault on woman is wrong.  It happens too frequently.  It's especially wrong when a man starts to hit a woman out of anger/rage etc.

But just several months ago Beyonce's sister attacked Jay Z in the elevator. Kicking, punching , epeatedly, etc. (another video caught on the elevator). But she was not blasted by that behaviour. Actually some peoples first thought was, he must of done something wrong.

Going back to this situation, Ray Rice then gf , started punching him and spitting on his face.  We don't know if he has been beaten , spit on , in the past. And maybe he just snapped at the elevator.  It's still inexcusable for what he did and thats why he is being punished, but she was also in the bad. 

They both want to move on from this.  Most woman who get assaulted without starting anything don't behave how Janay has.  So there could be more to their personal situation than most ppl know.   

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2014, 02:09:23 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
1. Solange was blasted for it by some, but given that no harm occurred it wasn't a big deal. Jay Z was given props for not retaliating and letting people break it up. 2. How the heck is it relevant? Because it is 100% not relevant.

Going back to this situation, Ray Rice then gf , started punching him and spitting on his face.  We don't know if he has been beaten , spit on , in the past. And maybe he just snapped at the elevator.  It's still inexcusable for what he did but she was also in the bad. 

They both want to move on from this.  Most woman who get assaulted without starting anything don't behave how Janay has.  So there could be more to their personal situation than most ppl know.
Ray Rice has nothing to fear from Janay physically unless she has a weapon, and she didn't have one in that elevator. If you honestly watch that video and think she's "attacking" him in a manner that makes you equivocate like you are then you and I are never going to see eye to eye.

I mean read your own words, you're writing more about Janay like she's an abuser than the man who knocked his fiance unconscious and treated her limp body like it was a sleeping dog whom he needed to get moving. (or a sack of potatoes)

All I can do is roll my eyes, but that feels inadequate because your sort of attitude enables a lot of violence across this world. Janay is in a crappy situation and I hope she's safe amid this stressful time, but abuse victims ask to just move on all the time. It doesn't end well for far too many of them.

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2014, 02:19:56 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
idiots of the world unite, you have nothing to lose but your respect.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2014, 02:23:55 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
1. Solange was blasted for it by some, but given that no harm occurred it wasn't a big deal. Jay Z was given props for not retaliating and letting people break it up. 2. How the heck is it relevant? Because it is 100% not relevant.

Going back to this situation, Ray Rice then gf , started punching him and spitting on his face.  We don't know if he has been beaten , spit on , in the past. And maybe he just snapped at the elevator.  It's still inexcusable for what he did but she was also in the bad. 

Ray Rice has nothing to fear from Janay physically unless she has a weapon, and she didn't have one in that elevator. If you honestly watch that video and think she's "attacking" him in a manner that makes you equivocate like you are then you and I are never going to see eye to eye.

I mean read your own words, you're writing more about Janay like she's an abuser than the man who knocked his fiance unconscious and treated her limp body like it was a sleeping dog whom he needed to get moving. (or a sack of potatoes)

All I can do is roll my eyes, but that feels inadequate because your sort of attitude enables a lot of violence across this world. Janay is in a crappy situation and I hope she's safe amid this stressful time, but abuse victims ask to just move on all the time. It doesn't end well for far too many of them.

I don't think you get it. All i get by your replys is that you are mr perfect and when provoked etc. you are calm as a cucumber and thats how everyone should be.   I don't think you understand ppl are not perfect, make mistakes, emotions, rage etc.

Then you start saying inaccurate things that what i just said (trying to understand the situation deeper)  or my attidue is a way to enable violance across the world.   

Your starting things and pointing fingers. Your the aggressor in this thread so far. 

Not everyone is going to come behind you and start attacking George.  Just bc they want to try to understand deeper into the issue/rice could move on after being punished, does not mean they encourage to enable violance. 

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2014, 02:24:23 PM »

Offline Green Menace

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
Part of his brain must've gone through the hole in his leg. Idiot deserved what he got.

« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2014, 02:25:59 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1548

I think his underlying point is, she forgave him and moved on, and she is the one that truly matters.  If she has moved past it, the state of New Jersey has moved past it, then everyone else should to. 

Now clearly Rice's level of force far exceeded what was necessary, but she was coming at him in an aggressive manner and shouting obscenities at him.  Self defense is always a defense (again his conduct was far more than necessary and that is the real issue here). 

Paul George shouldn't have said anything since it didn't concern him and he had nothing to gain from saying anything, but that is what he was getting at.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip