Author Topic: Trading Marcus Thornton Just Got Somewhat Easier For Celtics  (Read 9469 times)

Re: Trading Marcus Thornton Just Got Somewhat Easier For Celtics
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2014, 07:29:19 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Anyone talking about picking up a center should compare the deal to what we turned down with Omer Asik. We could have easily out bid the Pelicans but chose not to. I'm not sure Ainge did the right thing there, but he's not stupid, and must feel he could do better.

I don't see Ainge pilling the trigger for a pricey center unless he thinks it is a better deal than Asik was.

Evidence for the bolded?

The evidence is that New Orleans gave up Alonso Gee, Scotty Hopson and the Pelicans 1st round pick protected to get it done. Don't you think we could have done better than that? We certainly have the chips.

Depends on that 1st rounder. If it falls outside of the top 3, it goes to Houston.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

Would Ainge have given up that kind of 1st round pick? Would he have given up a package to trump that offer? I doubt it.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2014, 09:44:21 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
Anyone talking about picking up a center should compare the deal to what we turned down with Omer Asik. We could have easily out bid the Pelicans but chose not to. I'm not sure Ainge did the right thing there, but he's not stupid, and must feel he could do better.

I don't see Ainge pilling the trigger for a pricey center unless he thinks it is a better deal than Asik was.

Evidence for the bolded?

The evidence is that New Orleans gave up Alonso Gee, Scotty Hopson and the Pelicans 1st round pick protected to get it done. Don't you think we could have done better than that? We certainly have the chips.

Depends on that 1st rounder. If it falls outside of the top 3, it goes to Houston.

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

Would Ainge have given up that kind of 1st round pick? Would he have given up a package to trump that offer? I doubt it.

Well you don't have to have any doubt, because we know what happened. He didn't do it.

Yes there is a chance it could be a nice pick, but realistically, it only happens if Anthony Davis has a major injury. Otherwise, the Pelicans will be pretty good. The likelihood is the pick will be in the bottom half of the draft.

« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2014, 10:11:02 AM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428

Evidence for the bolded?

The #17th pick and Keith bogans and babb or something along that nature.
We could have easily acquired Asik. Danny believes a 1st was too much for him or asik wasn't that big of a difference than keeping a 1st and just getting Zeller.

Danny isn't dumb, Asik is really good and I believe
Him and Anthony Davis is going to be really good this year, INO make the playoffs and that pelicans pick will be worse than our 17 this year.

So once again, we could have acquired Asik. If Danny really wanted to.
I for one will be quite interested to compare Zeller and Asiks seasons

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2014, 10:46:02 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Also, I didn't notice this discussion before, but I would seriously hope that people were talking about trading Bass and Thornton as part of a package for Sanders... and not as THE package.  As in, literally Bass + Thornton for Sanders, period.

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2014, 10:00:31 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
LOL.  Why would you trade Bass for a 2nd round pick by itself?

1st of all, 95% of 2nd round picks don't turn out as good as Brandon Bass.

2nd of all, Bass' contract is actually quite reasonable for his production, and he is only signed until the end of this season.

Now if you move Bass in a package for a better player, yes a trade makes sense.  But 2nd round picks are pretty much considered garbage in the NBA, trade fillers at best.

I believe that Ainge is being patient because he is trying to make a deal to improve the team.  Not make a deal, to just make a deal.

Thornton, Bass, 1st round picks for a star level talent at the trade deadline?  Maybe but we might have to add more.  Depends on how badly that player wants to leave his team and how bad his contract would be for us.

I think you see if you can trade him to Philly for a 2nd round pick.  Boston sheds the salary on a player that will be gone this summer anyway.  Philly needs salary and they could use some solid veteran leaders on the team.  Bass also isn't good enough to effect their wins or losses, so it seems like a trade that makes some sense for both team.

« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2014, 10:11:39 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
Also, I didn't notice this discussion before, but I would seriously hope that people were talking about trading Bass and Thornton as part of a package for Sanders... and not as THE package.  As in, literally Bass + Thornton for Sanders, period.

Yes, his value is that low right now.

« Reply #36 on: September 14, 2014, 10:23:00 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Yeah...at some point Danny has to quit collecting and saving misfit players ...it's like he is a hoarder of junk turd players and build a team ...find the Celtics a Center so they have a chance to compete .

« Reply #37 on: September 14, 2014, 11:43:57 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
LOL.  Why would you trade Bass for a 2nd round pick by itself?

1st of all, 95% of 2nd round picks don't turn out as good as Brandon Bas
s.

2nd of all, Bass' contract is actually quite reasonable for his production, and he is only signed until the end of this season.

Now if you move Bass in a package for a better player, yes a trade makes sense.  But 2nd round picks are pretty much considered garbage in the NBA, trade fillers at best.

I believe that Ainge is being patient because he is trying to make a deal to improve the team.  Not make a deal, to just make a deal.

Thornton, Bass, 1st round picks for a star level talent at the trade deadline?  Maybe but we might have to add more.  Depends on how badly that player wants to leave his team and how bad his contract would be for us.

I think you see if you can trade him to Philly for a 2nd round pick.  Boston sheds the salary on a player that will be gone this summer anyway.  Philly needs salary and they could use some solid veteran leaders on the team.  Bass also isn't good enough to effect their wins or losses, so it seems like a trade that makes some sense for both team.

Because he's an expiring contract and he's taking time away from Sullinger, Olynyk and Zeller.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2014, 12:35:33 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Yeah...at some point Danny has to quit collecting and saving misfit players ...it's like he is a hoarder of junk turd players and build a team ...find the Celtics a Center so they have a chance to compete .

Haha ;D  I'd prefer to look at his, "collection," of players as an island of misfit toys ;), but there's no need to quibble over terminology.