Author Topic: Trading Marcus Thornton Just Got Somewhat Easier For Celtics  (Read 9468 times)

Trading Marcus Thornton Just Got Somewhat Easier For Celtics
« on: September 10, 2014, 05:48:19 PM »

Offline crownontherocks

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 86
Trading Marcus Thornton, with his $8.6 million contract promised for the coming season, will not be easy for the Boston Celtics. But it got a little less difficult Wednesday. Thornton is now eligible to be included in aggregated trades, with the arrival of the two-month anniversary of the Celtics officially acquiring him in a three-team trade. A player who was acquired using a trade exception, as Thornton was, cannot be included in a trade package with other players for two months after the initial trade becoming complete.

In Thornton’s case, the trade was official July 10, the first day the NBA’s annual moratorium period was lifted. The Celtics still face obstacles in dealing the 27-year-old shooting guard, who averaged 9.8 points per game and shot 34.5 percent on 3-pointers last season with the Brooklyn Nets and Sacramento Kings. Still, it becomes a bit easier to convince potential trade partners to take on Thornton’s contract along with other pieces, as opposed to on its own.

The Celtics have a glut of wing players on the roster, including newly resigned Avery Bradley, incumbents Jeff Green, Gerald Wallace, Chris Johnson and Chris Babb, draft pick James Young and Evan Turner, who agreed this summer to sign with the team. They also still have Keith Bogans, who was banished from the team last season, on a $5.3-million non-guaranteed deal. The logjam suggests moves could be coming for the Celtics, who have to pare down their roster to 15 players by the start of the regular season. Thornton was acquired in July along with big man Tyler Zeller and a protected first-round draft pick as part of a three-team deal with the Nets and Cleveland Cavaliers. The Celtics used their $10.3 million trade exception to make the deal possible, giving up only a heavily protected second-round pick they are unlikely to be asked to surrender.

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/09/trading-marcus-thornton-just-got-somewhat-easier-for-celtics/

http://nesn.com/2014/09/trading-marcus-thornton-just-got-somewhat-easier-for-celtics/

Re: Trading Marcus Thornton Just Got Somewhat Easier For Celtics
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 06:26:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
yea but to where?   

Same can be said for Bass.   I just browsed through every team in the league and they are packed at every position.  And Celtics are the only team in the league without a legit starting Center

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 06:58:05 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
yea but to where?   

Same can be said for Bass.   I just browsed through every team in the league and they are packed at every position.  And Celtics are the only team in the league without a legit starting Center

Bucks or T Wolves perhaps?
Would the Bobcats give us Biyombo for Thornton or Bass as a playoff scoring punch off the bench?

Get back Sanders from Bucks or Pekovic from T Wolves. Bucks can start Henson and move on from Sanders, Wolves can start Dieng since they're going young for the most part. Pekovic is often injured and has a long deal at $12 million, his defense is pretty suspect but he's an 18 point, 8.5 rebound guy. His age is a factor at 28. I wonder if Stevens thinks he could make him a good defender like Kendrick Perkins. Less likely option to me considering we have so much cap room coming up. Maybe if they took back Wallace for their rebuild?

Sanders has got attitude issues at $11 million but is an elite defender, he's also never played with a pass first point guard. 13 points, 12.5 rebounds per game without a passing point guard- I think Rondo could make him a 16 point, 12 rebound player with elite eim protection at age 25  being only one year older than Zeller and 2 years older than Olynyk.
Would Ainge gamble on his attitude problems for the next 4 seasons though?

I would take back Sanders if the Bucks took Thornton. Saves them money in the long run and gives Sanders a fresh start. Still a huge gamble after we've waited to clear Wallace's salary off books. I guess if Sanders was a big fail, we could use stretch provision on him.

Pacers give Mahinmi for Thornton?

It's probably easier to move Bass than Thornton, but Thornton just isn't going to get a load of playing time in Boston with youth development. (I think).

Bass also put his house in Boston up for sale. So his agent must think something is going to happen.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 08:40:35 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
yea but to where?   

I'd suggest browsing through teams with a desirable player making more than $10m/year that would consider entering "blow it up" mode and rebuilding if they found themselves on a pace for 30 wins at the All-Star break.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 09:39:33 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
yea but to where?   

The first team I randomly looked at could use Bass.  Phoenix's incumbent power forwards are Markeiff Morris and Miles Plumlee.  You gonna tell me Bass ain't better than Plumlee?  Heck, Bass' experience and defense would probably put him ahead of Morris.

Mike

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 11:35:35 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 11:42:10 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I would really like for us to package Bass/Thornton for Sanders.

Bass gives them the experience/leadership that they need, and hes a consummate locker room leader to have. He'll help them get the needed experienced to push and win games, and Thornton can be their sixth man.

I'm willing to take a huge chance on Sanders, and I hope Ainge does too. A player like Sanders can not only impress, but do extremely well if given the chance in a new environment.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 11:57:59 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Bass gives them the experience/leadership that they need, and hes a consummate locker room leader to have. He'll help them get the needed experienced to push and win games, and Thornton can be their sixth man.

I'm willing to take a huge chance on Sanders, and I hope Ainge does too. A player like Sanders can not only impress, but do extremely well if given the chance in a new environment.
Giving up Bass and Thornton is the opposite of taking a huge chance.

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 12:04:06 AM »

Offline lurkerStrips

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 5

Agreed. I think they'd need to do that too if they plan to keep Rondo (he needs a quasi-star, right? Or a serviceable center at the very least).

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 12:12:43 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

Giving up Bass and Thornton is the opposite of taking a huge chance.

Meant to write huge risk.

I mean regardless if Sanders doesn't pan out, someone happy go lucky GM will take a chance on Sanders especially if Ainge is the one dealing him  ;D
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 02:52:57 AM »

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
yea but to where?   

Would the Bobcats give us Biyombo for Thornton or Bass as a playoff scoring punch off the bench?

Get back Sanders from Bucks or Pekovic from T Wolves. Bucks can start Henson and move on from Sanders, Wolves can start Dieng since they're going young for the most part. Pekovic is often injured and has a long deal at $12 million, his defense is pretty suspect but he's an 18 point, 8.5 rebound guy. His age is a factor at 28. I wonder if Stevens thinks he could make him a good defender like Kendrick Perkins. Less likely option to me considering we have so much cap room coming up. Maybe if they took back Wallace for their rebuild?

Sanders has got attitude issues at $11 million but is an elite defender, he's also never played with a pass first point guard. 13 points, 12.5 rebounds per game without a passing point guard- I think Rondo could make him a 16 point, 12 rebound player with elite eim protection at age 25  being only one year older than Zeller and 2 years older than Olynyk.

I would take back Sanders if the Bucks took Thornton. Saves them money in the long run and gives Sanders a fresh start. Still a huge gamble after we've waited to clear Wallace's salary off books. I guess if Sanders was a big fail, we could use stretch provision on him.

It's probably easier to move Bass than Thornton, but Thornton just isn't going to get a load of playing time in Boston with youth development. (I think).

Bass also put his house in Boston up for sale. So his agent must think something is going to happen.

His stats are not that....His breakout year he averaged 9.5/9.8/2.8 blocks....still extremely good. Also many on this forum know of the grant land article naming him the best interior defender in the NBA.

Also just for mentioning Biz Biyombo I have to give you a tp. Biz is the #1 guy I want the Celts to pick up in a trade. Personally, I think he could have a break out year if put in the right circumstance. He is still only 21 and reminds me of Larry Sanders before his breakout year.

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 06:32:31 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
13 and 12.5 are his per 36 numbers.

The fact that he's quite foul prone works out quite well with Olynyk, Zeller and Sully all needing minutes.

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 07:20:47 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
yea but to where?   

His stats are not that....His breakout year he averaged 9.5/9.8/2.8 blocks....still extremely good. Also many on this forum know of the grant land article naming him the best interior defender in the NBA.

Also just for mentioning Biz Biyombo I have to give you a tp. Biz is the #1 guy I want the Celts to pick up in a trade. Personally, I think he could have a break out year if put in the right circumstance. He is still only 21 and reminds me of Larry Sanders before his breakout year.

My mistake I put his per 36 numbers there. I think his stats you are mentioning were his per game stats at 27 mins per game or around there. Let's meet in the middle and call it an even 20 points and 10 rebounds, 4 blocks shall we  8)

I like Biyombi given how raw he is, he's only under contract till the end of this year too I think.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 07:42:18 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
yea but to where?   

The first team I randomly looked at could use Bass.  Phoenix's incumbent power forwards are Markeiff Morris and Miles Plumlee.  You gonna tell me Bass ain't better than Plumlee?  Heck, Bass' experience and defense would probably put him ahead of Morris.

Mike

In Phoenix's situation I doubt they take Bass because of the money he's owed and guys like Morris and Plumlee are on much better $ for a team so obsessed with staying under the cap.

They'd pay Bass $7 million when they can keep both Morris twins and Plumlee for $7 million.
They both have brothers in the NBA and Markief's brother is actually on the Suns now too I think- he's probably slightly behind Bass although his 3 point shot is very good and given the minutes he's about the same statistically as Bass- but not as good of a defender.

I think two teams that could use Bass would be Portland and Houston, he needs to go to a playoff team to use his stretch shooting and D.
He'd come off the bench for Aldridge and play the same pick and pop jumpshooting big man role, and in Houston he'd stretch the floor to give Dwight Howard some 1v1 room inside.

He's such a perfect championship role player.

The Spurs would be a great spot too.

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2014, 08:04:10 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
yea but to where?   

Mike

In Phoenix's situation I doubt they take Bass because of the money he's owed and guys like Morris and Plumlee are on much better $ for a team so obsessed with staying under the cap.

They'd pay Bass $7 million when they can keep both Morris twins and Plumlee for $7 million.
They both have brothers in the NBA and Markief's brother is actually on the Suns now too I think- he's probably slightly behind Bass although his 3 point shot is very good and given the minutes he's about the same statistically as Bass- but not as good of a defender.

I think two teams that could use Bass would be Portland and Houston, he needs to go to a playoff team to use his stretch shooting and D.
He'd come off the bench for Aldridge and play the same pick and pop jumpshooting big man role, and in Houston he'd stretch the floor to give Dwight Howard some 1v1 room inside.

He's such a perfect championship role player.

The Spurs would be a great spot too.
Cavs would work also.

I think you see if you can trade him to Philly for a 2nd round pick.  Boston sheds the salary on a player that will be gone this summer anyway.  Philly needs salary and they could use some solid veteran leaders on the team.  Bass also isn't good enough to effect their wins or losses, so it seems like a trade that makes some sense for both team.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip